Start by marking “My Teacher Likes to Say” as Want to Read:
My Teacher Likes to Say

My Teacher Likes to Say

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Illustrated by Jane Monroe DonovanFrom the same team that brought you "My Momma Likes to Say" comes this delightful interpretation of maxims, idioms, proverbs, and cliche s many students remember hearing on a regular basis in the classroom. From "Do you have ants in your pants?" to "Stick together!" and "Great minds think alike," readers will be intrigued by the history of ...more
Published April 1st 2004 by Sleeping Bear Press (first published March 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Teacher Likes to Say, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Teacher Likes to Say

Dana Keiper
Mar 28, 2016 Dana Keiper rated it really liked it
Denise Brennan-Nelson's My Teacher Likes to Say is about what maxims, idioms, proverbs, and cliches the author used to hear her teachers say as a kid and wondering about what they could possibly mean.

The text with the sayings(idioms and such) sort of gives off a whimsical feel when I look at them. If I hadn't have had this book read to me (the e-book version), I wouldn't have known to read that part first (despite it's flashiness) because I'm so used to reading from the left page to the right (
May 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Personal reaction: What a fun book! I liked this book because I learned some of the history behind some of the idioms, proverbs, and cliches that I didn't know before! I also really liked the illustrations in this book because they were very realistic.

Use in the Classroom:

1. Read aloud to make a curricular connection: This book would be perfect for a Language Arts unit on idioms, proverbs, and cliches. I think it would be a great way to introduce students to these elements. I think students wou
Chandler Cash
Apr 23, 2015 Chandler Cash rated it it was ok
Shelves: information
At a first glance I thought this would be a good informational book on idioms and it is enjoyable that the idioms mentioned are one that have been submitted by actually students. As soon as you start to look closer at the book though it falls through as an informational book.

For the classroom I would not include it to read aloud to the students or to add to the classroom book shelve. The reason I find this book to be lacking as an informational book is because it lacks key components that make i
Christy
Apr 06, 2010 Christy rated it liked it
This a cute book that students will enjoy. It takes things that we say and they actually happen. For instance "the early bird gets the worm" and the illustration is a lunch lady serving up some yucky worms, as the students and a robin (the bird) look as they stand in line at breakfast. This book is good for explaining literal meanings to students.
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

I really liked this idiom book because it connects directly to the classroom, is not only idioms but poetry and there are even sidebars throughout with information about the idioms.
Oana Cerchezan
This book is great to teach kids that not everything that is said is meant to be taken the way it is said. It is a good way to teach them that words and sayings can have multiple meanings.
Carol Royce Owen
Mar 30, 2012 Carol Royce Owen rated it liked it
Investigates well known idioms, sayings and proverbs teachers like to use and explains their meaning.
Sheri
Aug 09, 2008 Sheri rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Sheri by: childrens writers group
I just read this in effort to read titles by Sleeping Bear Press.
Sophia
Apr 25, 2010 Sophia rated it really liked it
Another great book that teaches idioms! Idioms that teachers say.
Deborah Morgan
Jul 10, 2010 Deborah Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Will use this book as an intro when I teach cliches.
Trista
Jun 19, 2008 Trista rated it liked it
A great picture book for teaching idioms.
Nancy Craddock
Aug 14, 2010 Nancy Craddock rated it liked it
Cute book!
Hira
Jan 19, 2010 Hira rated it it was amazing
idioms
Tammy Williams
Tammy Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
April
April added it
Apr 12, 2016
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Keely
Keely rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Jacki
Jacki marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Laurie Miller
Laurie Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Rebekah Rud
Rebekah Rud marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Felicia Cherry
Felicia Cherry rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Katherine Duke
Katherine Duke rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Camice Ortiz
Camice Ortiz marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Nicolle Johnson
Nicolle Johnson marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
MsFictitious
MsFictitious rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2015