Start by marking “A Season In Hell ” as Want to Read:
A Season In Hell

A Season In Hell

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,214 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Sarah Talbot is determined to avenge the death of her stepson. Sean Egan, ex-SAS sergeant, is at first reluctant to act as assassin, until he discovers a personal link. Together they begin the hunt for a ruthless man whose trade involves not only drugs but also international terrorism.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 28th 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A Season In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season In Hell

Kris
Jan 24, 2016 Kris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical military/spy/English thrill a minute, action packed book. Plenty of twists and turns with the story moving right along. This certainly is not a book for deep reading or thinking and that is as it should be. Every book does not have to rise to the heady heights of "literature."

This is just a ripping yarn where a wealthy woman with pockets deep enough to fly all over the European continent, teams up with ex-military and current intelligence operatives to pursue the truth behind her step
Henri Moreaux
Written in 1989 prior to the Sean Dillon books this novel contains the base characters for what morphed into those in the Sean Dillon books.

This book's Sean Egan basically is the same as Sean Dillon; both grew up in England, moved to Ulster where disaster struck and their parents were killed. Egan's died to the IRA and joined the UK military, Dillon's died to the UK military and joined the IRA. Both are 'super' assassins. Both drive Mini Coopers. They're so hard to distinguish that many people i
John
Jan 22, 2016 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To me, Jack Higgins is famous for The Eagle Has Landed, which I read back in high school. I've read a couple of his other books, and he has a definite style. He writes spy thrillers often with a military or ex-military connection. This book tries to take an ex-SAS soldier and pair him with an American woman from Wall Street. For me the combination did not work. I didn't care about any of the characters, except perhaps for one of the bad guys. In the end, the book was a disappointment.
Luvinthislife
Good enough, I guess

Good enough, I guess

This read moved along fast and had plenty of action. Otherwise it was nothing special. There was never really much doubt about the protagonist's action at the ending and the entire grand finale was quite fabricated. I really doubt I'll remember much about it once I submit this review.
Frank Barfod
Aug 14, 2014 Frank Barfod rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written but a surprise

Well written but a surprise

Patterson writes well of intrigue and murder. his characters draw you in and continue to.develop, as did Mrs. Talbot. following the death of her stepson, she flew to England, encountered violence and murder, and provided the winning shot to solve it.

well done!
Al Warner
Jan 14, 2016 Al Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seasonally Adjusted Drama

Who the heck is this Mr. Smith anyway? You won't know until the end. Layer after layer is peeled away and the answer just doesn't want to reveal itself until the very end. Almost nonstop action kept me turning the pages. All of the elements worked together and it tied up nicely in the end.
Carol Creason
Aug 09, 2014 Carol Creason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found another Author I enjoy.

I have found another Author I enjoy.

I enjoyed the pace and especially the ending. The characters were genuine, well developed, reminded me of people I have known. I look forward to reading more of his works.
Walt Mccluskey
Sep 15, 2014 Walt Mccluskey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Season in Hell

Continuous action from start to finish and several curves in between. A totally unexpected ending that made sense when viewed in retrospect. The ending left room for several different follow-ups as future books and I plan to see if they exist.
Daniel Walker
Aug 25, 2015 Daniel Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was my first time reading this author I thought it was pretty good very fast paced I guess the plot is similar to many books of this genre but other than that it was pretty good takes place in England if you like that
David Kruse
Sep 05, 2014 David Kruse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY AN UNDERSTANDING

A well written, well thought out read. Characters were well managed and descripted quite nicely. After reading these types of books for many years I found the ending crisp and imaginary.
paul kstzenberger
Great read!

Great read!

hard to put this book down, non-stop action with a different twist from my usual reads. totally enjoyed every chapter and will definitely read more of his work!
Louann
Jul 26, 2014 Louann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!!!

Read this book!!!

Lots of action. Always kept me guessing until the end.
Characters were well developed, so much so even I was kind of sympathizing with one of the bad guys.
Frank L. Mattox Jr.
Higgins as you like him

I don't know if it's true, but Sean Egan and Sean Dillon bear a remarkable resemblance to each other.
Well written and just what you would expect from
Jack Higgins.
John Williams
Another reread from my libray and I couldn't remember it. If you like action novels with lots of killing this is ok. Seemed a little over the top to me but at one point I couldn't put it down.
gordon gesner
Jul 30, 2014 gordon gesner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense at its best

Suspense at its best

As always a great read I couldn't put the book down, the ending was surprising...I try and read all h books.
Sue
Dec 17, 2014 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh.

Fairly disappointing entry from an otherwise normally skilled author. Ridiculously canned dialog, contrived circumstances, unbelievable characters and ending.
Ed Dillon
Oct 16, 2014 Ed Dillon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down

A real page Turner. I was unable to put it down as the place plot twisted and turned in search of the mysterious Mr. Smith.
David
Jun 08, 2016 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A two means ok via GR definitions, so 2.5 shall it be. Story ok, but a tad drawn out and a wee bit weak. Perhaps, my last Jack Higgins ever.
Bill
Aug 15, 2014 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too formulaic, no character development, no red herrings, evry detail introduced serves only the convenience of the plot line.
Michele bookloverforever
revenge leads 2 people on a wild hunt for the drug king responsible for the deaths of their loved ones....and the truth hurts...
Katie
Jan 14, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not going to lie, I didn't particularly enjoy this story. It was a wanna-be gangster tale that was sprinkled with spies and rainy weather on the docks. There were too many clichces in such a small work that I couldn't get over that fact. Technically, it was well-written. The style that Higgins used was classical, matter-of-fact, and there was nothing wrong with that. It seemed a little monotone to me, considering the plot was centered around drug deals and murders, but what do I know?

I reco
David Farnsworth
Jul 10, 2014 David Farnsworth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good of kind

nice thriller read, interesting historical views of the Irish issues. a bit out of date now, but pleasant entertainment. worth the Kindle price.
Karen L
May 27, 2016 Karen L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the characters. However, this spy/thriller/woman as naive avenger novel did not set itself apart.
Eric Soares
Mediocre. Too bad considering I remember really liking The Eagle Has Landed when I read it a long time ago. This one was a little bit too much by the book with a pretty obvious ending.
Phyllis
Feb 05, 2016 Phyllis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Great book, I've liked every book of his that I have read. Fast reading, hard to put down.
Diana
Oct 30, 2014 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Book, like any thing Jack Higgins would write.
David
Aug 22, 2014 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best. Convoluted and unbelievable at points.
Chelsea
I wasn't expecting the ending, classic Higgins.
Jan 20, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Forgettable
Irene
Feb 05, 2016 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Jack Higgins
  • The Bannerman Effect
  • Games of the Hangman
  • Fantastic Worlds: Myths, Tales, and Stories
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #3)
  • The Secret Generations (Secret Families, #1)
  • Timothy's Game
  • Extreme Denial
  • Bahama Crisis
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • By Stealth (Tweed & Co. #9)
  • Blood Makes Noise
  • Running
  • The Drowner
  • The River
  • Doppelganger Experiment
  • The Marriage of Meggotta
  • Bone Dry: An Action-Packed Medical Technothriller (The Gina Mazzio Series Book 1)
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

“International terrorism needs money to keep going,” Villiers said. “A great deal of money, not only for arms, which are expensive, but to fund operations. Drugs are a ready source of that kind of money,” 0 likes