Who Was Jim Henson?

Who Was Jim Henson? (Who Was/Is...?)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Jim Henson broke into television with a five-minute puppetry segment when he was only a freshman in college. He created puppets like none ever seen before, with expressive fabric faces and rod-controlled arms. His Muppets became world-renowned celebrities and formed the backbone of a media empire. With black-and-white illustrations throughout, this easy-to-read biography w...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Jim Henson?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Jim Henson?

Wade
Lily and I think that Jim’s grandma must have been pretty cool, her nickname was Dear and she was the one who inspired him the most. We think it was amazing that Jim and his family didn’t get their first TV until he was 13 years old.

Jim and Jane had 5 children, he encouraged them to be creative and even let them color on the walls of their home. They also made themselves costumes out of Muppets fabric, how cool is that!

We love Kermit the Frog and the rest of the Muppets, our favorite is the Swe...more
Naila Moon
If you know about the Muppets in any capacity, then you know Jim Henson. Or do you? This book begins with Jim Henson as a child and takes you all the way through up to his death.

I learned much more about the man and his family beyond his beloved Muppets and yet, I learned about them too. How he eventually came about to have and subsequently make the puppets turned "Muppets". I learned how he even came up with the name. I learned that he used to draw cartoon characters when he was quite young an...more
Carol
Jim Henson was always a creative boy, inspired by his grandmother, Dear. When he was a young boy televisions began appearing in people's homes. From the moment his family acquired one, Jim knew he wanted to work in TV. He got his start on a puppet show. We all know where it went from there. Jim Henson is famous for his Muppets. His Muppets helped make Sesame Street the raging success it still is today. He even went on to make movies and many other TV shows, though none were ever as successful as...more
Joseph F
This simple book is a great quick read! Much like the rest of the "Who was" series, this book captures the essence of the person in question very well. I admire these books ability to explain such great people in such a small package. However, I wouldn't recommend depending on the entire series for a grade because they aren't at a very high reading level. If you want one quick short book to add to your reading list though, this book is for you!
Jonathan Ryal
Who was Jim Henson by Joan Holub was a book that felt like a rollercoaster back to my childhood. It’s a fun and fact filled read on a legend for generations of children. Jim Henson, the inventor of the one and only Muppets, is a famous puppeteer. This autobiography takes the life of a guy who has done so much in the world of media and children and brings you more about his life in a simple and comprehensible platform. Jim Henson originally appeared on T.V. during his college years where he worke...more
John
A children's book that tells the story of pioneering puppeteer Jim Henson's life, from his earliest days in Mississippi to the creation and growth of his company, Muppets, Inc.

For me, the most interesting parts of the book included the details about the Muppets themselves -- like how Kermit was created and how Big Bird originally came to life. Also I didn't realize just what all Henson was involved in -- from Sesame Street to Fraggle Rock, and even Yoda from Star Wars -- so that was interesting...more
Cole Hallmark
WoW

I loved it I want to see kejwjshhsbshsjdjdjdjdnxjsnsmsjsjsjsvyf tofu,ixyfixfyiyfxf yfxyxyfyfxfhcfhcchf yfcgycgycguguccg ucggfgucgugcuucgucg Fuchs
jsbsnsguocghciygghivvk :/ bjihvbhibhiibhigchcugocuygioyoucggvioguyvovihvhuugbjb :) jvhghgugyghfhvyc hugging you gycyccg 5 stars
Krista
Yay! I had so much fun reading this book, which is a great illustrated biography of Jim Henson intended for children/young adults. The illustrations are great and one of the things that made the book special were little vignettes throughout that further explained some of the terms that might be confusing for young readers. As a HUGE fan of Jim Henson, I really enjoyed this read from cover to cover. I encourage anyone with young folks in their lives to pass this on so that they can learn about th...more
Kristina
Cute. Good for kids. Very short.
Anna
Jim Henson created Muppets! Yes the Muppets! He made Kermet out of a jacket.
This was pretty good for its intended audience. There were lots of pictures, which was distracting for me but kids will probably like them. There was one good drawing of Carroll Spinney inside Big Bird that I thought was interesting. And there are mini-chapters about other things going on in the world, like the women's rights movement (which they artfully tied Miss Piggy's popularity to). And now I'm singing Rainbow Connection in my head.
Joan Holub
Apr 01, 2010 Joan Holub rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-work
A new title in the wonderful Who Was...? chapter book biography series from Grosset & Dunlap. Also sometimes known as the 'big head' books because of the covers. I'm also the author of Who Was Marco Polo? and Who Was Johnny Appleseed? In elementary school, I read every biography in on the biography shelf in our library. As an adult, I'm a huge fan of the Biography Channel. Biographies rock!
Lisa
This is a children's biography of Jim Henson. I really enjoyed learning about him - his life, his family, his process, and his creations. He seems like he was a great guy! I couldn't help but picture Bob from Sesame Street as him; their personalities seem similar. I must say - neat as it was - I kind of wish I didn't know some of the magic behind the puppetry, though.
Mary Jo
This was a fascinating biography of Jim Henson! I learned a lot of neat things I'd never known before about how the Muppets came to be. The illustrations really help bring the text to life, especially ones like the illustration showing the inside of Big Bird. Definitely a great intro to the life of the man behind the Muppets!
Bunnymommy
short and sweet.
Elizabeth F
Thorough and honest account of Jim Henson's life that should inspire young readers to read more about this fascinating man and his Muppets.
Marcia
I really like this series--perfect middle-reader biographies. Jim Henson was a cool guy, and I enjoyed learning more about his work and his large family. Some good inside info on the muppets, as well.
billbo baggins
Dec 11, 2013 billbo baggins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sophie and my dad
he was the man behind the muppets he was Kermit the frog he was ernie of sesame street but at first puppets were just a way for him to break into television that was what he weally wanted to do
Esther May
Jim Henson was an amazing man. I was really excited to read this biography and find out that he was a good father too.
Christina
A quick but nice read for adults wanting the basic bio with details, and ideal for grade school reports.
Charlotte
Fun to see how the muppets evolved and how they work (even though I am not a muppet fan.)
Sharon
I'm a Muppet Fiend.......especially my frog Kermit....This was very enjoyable!
Sophie
There was a lot of stuff I didn't know about The Muppets
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It had some very interesting facts about Jim Henson. C.G.
Bookchick
My favorite in this biography series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Author of MIGHTY DADS (a NYTimes bestseller, illus by James Dean); LITTLE RED WRITING (illus by Melissa Sweet); the GODDESS GIRLS series (co-author Suzanne Williams); ZERO THE HERO (illus Tom Litchtenheld); and many other books for children. I feel very lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...
Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1) Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3) Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2) Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4) Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)