Start by marking “Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)” as Want to Read:
Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments, #3)

Empire of Ruins (The Hunchback Assignments #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Secret agent Modo's next assignment? Find ancient Egyptian ruins hidden deep in the Australian jungle and the mysterious God Face, rumoured to be a powerful weapon—anyone who looks upon it will be driven mad. And he must find the God Face before the evil Clockwork Guild does!
Published September 13th 2011 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Ruins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of Ruins

Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamorePoint Blank by Anthony Horowitz
Spy Kids
166th out of 240 books — 661 voters
Silence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickForever by Maggie Stiefvater
Unread Sequels to Books You've Already Read
341st out of 525 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

X
My favorite of the series, so far, though perhaps only because my favorite characters played a larger role than in the previous books. I was occasionally confused by a few things, but I nevertheless enjoyed the steam punk world in which the story is set.
Kristen
This is young adult fiction, and although it is a bit youthful in style, I still found it entertaining and fun.

Despite being a YA book, the author still tells a fun and exciting adventure story. The characters are extremely unique, particularly Modo, and the adventure they embark upon in this third in the Hunchback Assignments series is a lot of fun for the reader to go along on.

There is tension and challenge for all the characters, and there is definite character development for all these chara
Linda
Book #3 in the series The Hunchback Assignments more than met my expectations. This series, set (mostly) in England in Queen Victoria's era, is an oh-so-inventive adventure series. I love it! Each book seems to get better than the previous one.

Ruins of an Egyptian pyramid with a powerful "God Face" inside is rumored to lie in the remote rain forest jungles of Australia. Men have killed for the knowledge of its whereabouts only to go completely mad after seeing it. Mr. Socrates, head of Britain's
Krys

I have to admit one thing about Arthur Slade's The Hunchback Assignments series - They're consistent; in that I consistently love every book. The Hunchback Assignments was my favourite book in 2009. The Dark Deeps was a rollicking good ride, and I adored it. And the third book, Empire of Ruins, is just as good as the previous two.

People are turning up mad in Britain. When Mr. Socrates and the Permanent Association investigate they turn up something rather odd - an ancient Egyptian temple rumoure
An Odd1
Empire of Ruins (Hunchback Assignments 3) is an Egyptian temple buried in the Australian jungle. Explorers who venture inside go mad. Metal-hand villainess returns to foil our Britannia secret agent team of chameleon Modo (can hold another image for 5 hours now), pretty always-curious Tavia, their old acting teacher Mrs. Finchley, fighting instructor from India, Tharpa ("Keep the mind steady. Be in the present.") and mentor Mr. Socrates, eager to be back in the field.
"Think about what needs to
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series; plus I read every new book by the author.

Modo and 'Tavia are back with a bang in a brand new adventure that is fresh and exciting. The Clockwork Guild are back as is the villain with Miss Hakkandottir at the command but she has some new tricks up her metal hand's sleeve, namely a falconer and some vicious clockwork falcons added to the poisonous menagerie who are out to get Modo. On an exploration trip to Australia to find perhaps a valuable weapon called
Jenny
I actually haven’t seen many reviews of this series by bloggers but I for one really like this series. It has action, adventure, mystery and little bit of romance to satisfy readers. Empire of Ruins is the third book in the series and follows Modo, Octavia along with Mr. Socrates and Tharpa as they travel to Australia in search of a mysterious relic called the God Face. Nobody knows what the God Face really is but rumours are that it is a powerful weapon and that is why Modo must get to it befor ...more
Ashley D--
The third book in the Hunchback Assignments takes Modo and friends to Australia. The book opens with a sadistic adventurer who has become obsessed with finding the God Face--an old Egyptian artifact abandoned in Queensland, Australia, rumoured to cause anyone who looks upon it to go insane. He realizes his goal, but then goes insane, so it's not much use to him. When the Clockwork Guild and the Permanent Association get word of the God Face's location, agents from both sides clamor to claim the ...more
Amy Lignor
This wonderful adventure series that began with The Hunchback Assignments and The Dark Deeps surfaces yet again with another fantastic Indiana Jones-‘esque’ story that provides the reader with a seriously good time.

Modo is back. This is a young man who began his training as an agent for Britain’s Permanent Association when he was just fourteen years old. Modo’s boss, Mr. Socrates, has been his advisor, protector, and mentor for a good, long time. Tharpa, Modo’s weapons master, is still right by
Jack Baillot
I knew I would love this book. I liked the Dark Deeps, but that one took place on the sea and if I could enjoy that one with my lack of sea loving adventures, this one was sure to be great. (It had everything I like in an adventure book. Jungles, nasty tempered bugs, and airships - every book should have an airship in it.)
However, this surpassed my expectations. It was far more exciting then I had hoped for, and Modo is no longer the little boy I've come to love in the first two books. He is g
Steven R. McEvoy
Arthur Slade has another smash hit on his hands. In this amazing novel we are reunited with Modo, Octavia, and Mr. Socrates, and Tharpa joins the expedition this time around. And of course, it features our favorite mechanical hand villain, Miss Hakkandottir. This time the steampunk adventure takes us to the colonies once again as we immerse ourselves in the Victorian World with a technological twist.

Now the adventure heads to the Australian Outback and a rumored Egyptian pyramid in the middle of
Rachel
I was excited to get my hands on this 3rd book of The Hunchback Assignments series! I liked that there was more character development of the main character, Modo and that he just yearns to be loved like anyone else, and that he and Mr. Socrates not all business.

In this volume, Modo must assume a new identity with the help of Mrs Finchley to try to get information from a crazy man named King who might be able to help them locate the mysterious God Face. Soon he and Octavia are traveling with the
Spark740
I picked up this book because the cover looked like one of those good ol' adventure stories. However, also because of the cover, I was on the lookout for corniness (is that a word?). I was pleasantly suprised, though, by the complete absence of corniness. The action was steady, the plot was coherent, and the characters were 3D. Especially the main character - normally I detest main characters, but Modo was an excellent fluctuation from the teen book norm. The novel was also completely clean. The ...more
Cornelia
This is a fun Steampunk read. A total adventure, great hooks, you'll read it fast. It's the third in the series but the first I've read. It does work as a stand alone but I probably will try to read the first two as well. There two secret societies - one of good guys one of bad guys. They are all looking for something called the God's Face which is a legend about an ancient Egyptian temple in the Australian rainforest. I feel it's suitable for ages 10 on up. Adults will like it also. The bad guy ...more
Ashleigh
The third book in the Hunchback Assignment series did not disappoint! This entire series is so much fun to read; I'm glad I have the fourth book waiting for me to start.
Jacqui
Another great book in The Hunchback Series full of fun and adventure.

However, although I enjoyed "Empire of Ruins" my 'low-ish' rating is primarily due to Slade's heavy reliance on over-used adventure tropes... but more importantly, all the historical and anthopological misinformation that is littered throughout. Unlike the first two books, the 'altnernate histories' and cultures encountered in "Empire of Ruins" don't feel authentic or original to me. Because of that I couldn't enjoy this book
Rose Be
I could not get past the severed finger mentioned in the prologue. When I got to the moment where I knew it was coming, I put the book down for a week or three. It is worth it to read through to the end, though-- don't pause as long as I did!

I really enjoyed this book. I think we get to see Modo coming into his own more-- challenging Mr. Socrates, for example, and while he continues to like Olivia, he realizes that she is an imperfect human being a bit more, and he develops more confidence in th
Lady Knight
Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed yet another escapde into the lives of Mr. Socrates, Tharpa, Octavia, and Modo (as a side point, don't you just love the very Victorian (I hope you said that with a posh accent... I'll wait while you go back and do so...) 'ness' of their names?). I really enjoyed seeing Modo come into his own, standing up to Mr. Socrates, and becoming more and more of a man. Overall, this series has been a great reading experience so far and I'm eagerly looking forward to any futur ...more
Kvothem
I haven't read a lot of steampunk but I've got to say I've loved pretty much everything I've read. This series is kind of a mix between steampunk and the Alex Rider series or the Cherub series of spy/action adventure. In this story Modo is again the main character working for Mr. Socartes and with fellow agent Octavia, this time they travel to Australia in search of an ancient artifact left there by the Egyptians.
Skylar
Just like Dark Deeps, Empire of Ruins was fabulous, but still not as good as the first novel. I liked the setting, liked the characters, and also liked that Slade took the characters out of their element; not just Modo, but ALL of the characters. I liked it quite a bit, and anticipate reading the fourth (the only one I have not yet read as of late)
S
Modo and company take to the air in Australia this time out. He develops some confidence about his natural face which was nicely done. Mr. Socrates gets emotional in Australia, mostly when Modo stands up to him. Yup, teen Modo is growing up. Gripping story throughout.

Also, the Chris McGrath cover is wonderful.
stitchnsnitch
This was an enjoyable read, but the plot felt forced in parts, as if Arthur Slade had an outline for the story, and the characters needed to hurry up and meet those plot points.

I did like how Modo and Octavia's relationship had developed, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Qt
This is my favorite of the series so far. I liked the characters' development, and the mysteries and adventures were exciting. I was left wanting to know more about a couple of things, but maybe they will be explained in the next book--which I'm looking forward to reading!
Elsa
I really enjoy this series, especially Modo. He just wants someone to love him for who he is but with his face and abilities, even he doesn't know who that is sometimes. I hope the author does him a solid and gives him someone, sometime, who truly understands him.
Ann
Arthur Slade delivers yet another fabulous adventure. I love everything about this series. Each book involves clever plots that play homage to well loved classics. The characters are well developed and charasmatic. And they are simply a rollickingly good time!
Jeff
Nothing really seemed to happen, which was just like the prior book, except worse. Why was the pyramid in Australia? Why was the Clockwork Guild there? Neither this book nor the prior one really advanced the story of Modo and his friends much at all.
Barbara
Mr.
**4.5 stars. Even after three books I still pronounce Mr. Socrates' name like they would in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure." I should probably work on that to avoid public embarrassment...
Lauren
This was quite a cool story. I liked the mystery of it. I'm not sure if I liked it more than the second. What's sad is the next and FINAL (how sad) book comes out in NOVEMBER! Darn it!
Nicole
This is, no question, the best book in this series. I really like how the conclusion of this mission had something to do with Modo's natural face, and the new setting was really refreshing.
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill
  • Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • Hearts of Smoke and Steam (The Society of Steam, #2)
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-bye (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #6)
  • Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell
Arthur Slade was raised in the Cypress Hills of southwest Saskatchewan and began writing at an early age. He received an English Honours degree from the University of Saskatchewan, spent several years writing advertising and now writes fiction full time. He is the author of the "Canadian Chills" series of books, "Dust" (which won the Governor General's award), "Tribes," and "Jolted." He currently ...more
More about Arthur Slade...
The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1) Dust The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2) Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)