50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America

50 Jobs in 50 States: One Man's Journey of Discovery Across America

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Like lots of college grads, Daniel Seddiqui was having a hard time finding a job. But despite more than forty rejections, he knew opportunities had to exist. So he set out on an extraordinary quest: fifty jobs in fifty states in fifty weeks. And not just any jobs—he chose professions that reflected the culture and economy of each state.

Working as everything from a cheesema...more
Published March 7th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published February 18th 2011)

Vinaya
I don't read a lot of non-fiction. It's not because of any personal prejudice, but simply because I come from a family of fiction aficionados and have been raised on fiction books. However, sometimes, when a book really catches my eye, I do move out of my comfort zone and pick it up in the hope that it'll turn out to be a real gem. 50 Jobs in 50 States was one such book.

I've been travelling since I was a teenager, backpacking, package touring, working holidays, you name it, I've probably done i...more
Syed Hussain
This book is written as an inspiration. It essentially show cases
what is possible when someone is motivated and follows his
dream aggressively and with persistant.

Many of us can identify with his early issues with jobs. In many cases jobs eluded us because we possibly were leaders not yet ready to lead in the business world.

Seddiqui finally hits on the idea that one has to innovate and create his own job. Thus allowing himself to be a leader and in control of his own destiny.

The reader has to...more
Chris
I thought this book was brilliant. First of all, Seddiqui had the idea to work 50 jobs in 50 states, which in and of itself takes an insane commitment and dedication. But in reading his book, I found his experience revolutionary. It was eye-opening to learn about the different cultures across every border from Seddiqui's point of view, and to read as he transformed from a sheltered californian to working with the amish, working at a slaughterhouse, working in new orleans, and learning about all...more
Brittany
I was really intrigued by the premise of this book. Daniel Seddiqui, frustrated with one rejection after another in his search for a job, even after promising second interviews, takes a big risk and decides to travel around the country, working at jobs reflective of each state for about a week. I expected introspective revelations and perceptive insight regarding the cultures of each state.

The narrative tone seems to fluctuate between mildly condescending toward some of the jobs and toward the r...more
Kate
College graduate, young, ambitious and jobless, this is the case for so many of America’s 20-something population. Graduates are eager to work, full of life with a plentiful resume, all too often culminating to a post-graduation life of unanswered calls, emails and discouragement. These college graduates, victims of an economy that has left too many jobless and constantly asking, ‘Why can’t I find a job?’ Daniel Seddiqui was one of those unfortunate individuals, educated, broke, unable to find e...more
Andy
This was an enjoyable book I've read in a while. I easily connected with the author and didn't want to put the book down and want to continue the journey to see what happens next experiencing all the different cultures and jobs across America. The true and dynamic story of Daniel Seddiquie and his determination to finish his mission is admirable. This book is an easy read, inspirational and enjoyable.

I agree that this book is a great read.

yukoxoxo2000
I received important messages form this book. These are: don’t be afraid of making mistakes, take risks, and accept uncertainty. Despite rejections and failures, he focused on his goal. Each experience lead him to progress. If we stay in our comfort zone and avoid uncertainty, we will miss the chances to make ourselves better. His experience convinced me that it is OK to make mistakes as long as I learn from them.

As a foreigner, stereotypes in each state were very interesting, and I enjoyed ever...more
Sharon
In 2008, Daniel Seddiqui was a down and out college graduate looking for a job and living with his parents in California. The job rejections came in one after another and he didn’t know where to turn. His parents weren’t helping. They thought he wasn’t trying hard enough. So one day after another rejection, Daniel has a epiphany and realizes he wanted to live the map. Why not travel around the U.S. working 50 jobs in 50 states. The idea was interesting, but how does one go about it? After callin...more
Birgit
In our current economy it seems a good idea to think outside of the box when it comes to looking for a job. This is exactly what Daniel Seddiqui did by bringing his dream of “living the map” and his desperate search for a job together. Looking for the quintessential jobs, best representing the culture and economy of each state, Daniel soon set out with nothing more than a Jeep Cherokee and the wish to make it through 50 Jobs In 50 States in only a year.
Apart from this being an awesome idea, I fo...more
Kelly
Great commentary on the employment system in America! Entertaining too...

Daniel's inspirational story has been featured on local, national, and international news, websites, and other media outlets since the very start of his journey. And having seen some of the videos and articles, I had no doubt that this kid had done something admirable. Daniel had stared right back into the eyes of rejection and said, 'You don't own me.'

I'm glad I picked up a copy of his book, though. Because I thought I kne...more
Alyson Farmer
I first saw this book reviewed in the local newspaper and it peaked my interest. I was happy when our libary finally got a copy. I found the concept really interesting. I discovered that I don't know the US as much as I thought. There is a lot of diversity. I've got to belive it would be mentally exahusting the start over in a new environment week after week. I'm impressed with Daniel for keeping with it. He sure was honest about himself and his own weaknesses as he shared his story. That said,...more
marymurtz
Daniel Seddiqui set out to work for one week at a time, at a different job in every state in the U.S. I got the impression from the book that he was a kind and pleasant person who worked very hard to find jobs and set them up in advance, traveled all over the country, stayed with some people who were complete strangers, and along the way discovered new things about himself and about the work environment in the U.S. He looked for jobs representative of each state's culture and economy.

It was a q...more
George
I think this book was just had the right amount of information for me to enjoy reading it in one setting
Must have been a very hard book to write, there are so much to say and yet condensing it to a perfect size for an easy reading is genius. The American hard working people, the generous families and varity of working environment is just an amazing eye openner, for all of us the young, the old and the one who has a job or lost a job
Great book to read
Teresacooks
wow. This book had so much potential to be interesting, and yet it was not. The author took each state's stereotypical job and mangled most of them. He also whined throughout the book about a girl who treats him badly - which he seems to invite. Actually he whines about a lot of other things too. This was one of the worst books I've read in a long time. Good idea, bad execution.
Angie Del
I absolutely loved this book. Simply written, you feel like you are on the adventure with him. He appears honest and talks about both his failures and accomplishments openly. Coming from Canada, i loved hearing about all the different states and what they have to offer. I book i have already recommended to many people.
Kristen
An incredible story of perseverance and risk-taking. Shows what ones capable of if he goes for it, takes risks and doesnt give up. Thoroughly enjoyed Daniels adventure and journey and the characters who helped him get there and the experiences he shares.
Sue Klein
This book can truly change people's lives. It proves that anything is possible as long as you stay focused and determined.
Randy
I'm using this for my class. Everyone is enjoying it and learning about this country. Much better than a textbook.
Liam Townsend
A wonderful and admirable accomplishment, collected into a book blemished by cantankerous prose. I had mixed feelings on what others have labeled as "whiny" and "condescending". The author's relationship issues, including with a former girlfriend, his family, and employers had a tendency to come off as spiteful, which proved distracting from his cause. It too often seemed he had an axe to grind. At times, I even found myself feeling bad for those he unapologetically rants about, imaging their hu...more
Kip
What a great read!
The Young Urban Unprofessional
This book was a fantastic example of the American dream. It wasn't about going to college, getting a good job, and making a lot of money. It was about bootstrapping, working your ass off, and having the vision to accomplish your goals. The author Daniel is a truly remarkable person who when he was at his lowest, decided to embark on one of the most interesting and impressive entrepreneurial journeys I've heard in a while; 50 jobs in 50 states in 50 weeks. A lot of people talk about their dreams...more
Adrian Lee
This is not just a travel book. As much as I anticipated it to talk about the fun part, it turned out to be a lesson which Daniel wanted to teach us about the courage and audacity to find what we aspire. Having graduated from University of Southern California with a degree in economics couldn't offer him a safety net. And he failed to secure a job for years despite numerous interviews. Hence, he conceived the idea and went on his journey.

The book was written in simple language and thus it's very...more
Megan
The idea for this book and just in general is incredible. The possibility of getting to know your country and it's people one state at a time is ambitious. The actual story that accompanies each state is lacking. Daniel never claims to be an author, but I feel it could have been written and edited better. It wasn't as engaging as I had hoped and at times he comes off a bit whiny.
It is however a great way to read about the 49 states we don't live in, learn about the many jobs that keep our count...more
John
I'm going to take issue with other reviewers who think his write-ups of the jobs weren't "deep" enough - Daniel only had so much space! Actually, he did a good job comparing (linking) them on occasion. Although I totally respect his achievement, and outlook, I wasn't all that sold on him as a person; he came off as somewhat priggish, and a bit clueless. His personal life (angst over women) I could've done without. I was intrigued by the one employer who says "good riddance" to him when he pushes...more
Mark Bell
Saw this in a bookshop at the airport and thought it looked interesting. Downloaded the sample for iPhone Kindle app - read it - and wanted to read more. This is now my first eBook purchase.

I wasn't expecting to enjoy the ebook experience, but it really did work for me and now I'm planning to purchase a Kindle device.

Anyway, this book. Oh, what a great life experience. I would love to have done this - though I'm not sure you'd have the same experiences travelling the counties of the UK. I was...more
Fseddiqui
I read this book for the second time. It became clear to me that Daniel's journey started with a lot of passion and then he shows the determination that one ought to complete the plan that he believes in. This is symbolic of an entrepreneurial spirit.
The book embodies many lessons beyond learning about job seeking. Learning about America, creating opportunity, people are opening their home to the stranger, is another fascinating phenomenon to identify.

Throughout this journey he is meeting so man...more
Melanie
Whiny incompetent douche very typical of the Millennial generation. Couldn't find a job in his field so he worked temporary gigs all over the US as some sort of anthropological study. Not clear if he currently has a job.

The book is weakened by a lot of drama with his personal life and sometimes-girlfriend, and way too much fixation on logistics. Like having to sleep in his car in an Atlanta suburb, or complaining about how his host in [insert rural state] didn't have access to WiFi. With many of...more
Christina
As a young adult much like Daniel searching for my place in the working world dealing with the the struggles and pressures of failed interviews, resume black holes and concerned parents - it is inspiring to know there are unconventional paths out there to take and make something happen. It was also fun to be reminded that good, hardworking and friendly people and families can be found all throughout America.

I'd recommend this to anybody frustrated searching for work who may need a little pick-me...more
Nancy
I saw this book on a Goodreads friend's to-read list and thought it sounded interesting. A non-fiction book by a young college graduate who is having a hard time finding a permanent job. He decides to work a week in each of the 50 states, trying to match the job with something distinctive about that state. I thought too much time was spent on the author's angst over a former girl friend. I would have liked more information on how he found the jobs and the actually working experiences instead of...more
Parallax
Seddiqui graduated from college and couldn't find a job, so decided to go all out and find 50 jobs in 50 states in 50 weeks. He slept in the back of his jeep, was sometimes invited by families to stay with them, and cold called a ton of people with his idea. I think his experiences in the beginning were more genuine since I suspect the reactions he got later on were heavily influenced by him becoming a media phenomenon.

It's an easy, breezy read about one man's perseverance, and a tour of the jo...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »