Start by marking “Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales” as Want to Read:
Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales

Animalia: Thirteen Small Tales

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Stories for children aged 6 and up that are inspired by Chinese folklore, tales of the Christian saints, and moments from the life of Buddha, all focused on living harmoniously with the animal world.
Published March 1st 2004 by Tricycle Press (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Animalia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animalia

This is a beautiful book, now sadly out of print. Barbara Helen Berger has a real gift for portraying the power of animals in human life. One of my favorite children's picture books is her magnificent The Donkey's Dream, the nativity story told from the perspective of the donkey who carries Mary to the manger for the holy birth. This book of 13 vignettes is quietly magnificent. Berger uses tales of the Western saints with Chinese stories and legends of the Buddha's life in design much like medie ...more
Alexandra Chauran
This book really means small tales! The short stories are a paragraph or two of a snapshot of a moment in history or myth. The artwork was lovely, and they all wove together well. My three year old devoured this book with me in one sitting. My only complaint is that the decorative font had kerning which made this book difficult for me to read, and I did so haltingly while reading aloud.
My favorite book as a child. Short stories with beautiful morals, animals in each, and lovely illustrations to go with them.
Book #48 of 2012

It's a bit of a stretch to call these "tales," as each one is a mere paragraph or two long. Taken as what they are, though, they are quite interesting, and the illuminations and illustrations are simply gorgeous. This would make a wonderful addition to any child's library.
A beautiful collection of 1-2 page stories of saints and wise persons from many cultures who helped animals. The illustrations alone are absolutely breathtaking.
Charming and beautiful, what I loved most about this were the lovely and vibrant illustrations, though the sage tone of the fables was comforting as well.
This is a childhood favorite of mine. The illustrations are gorgeous and the stories are full of substance and lessons about ecology.
Jan 20, 2008 Alicia marked it as to-read
Shelves: short-stories
This might be good for my neice and nephew.
Kim Wysoczanski Macri
Kim Wysoczanski Macri marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Emily Black
Emily Black marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Callie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Mary Joe
Mary Joe marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Dayalan.E marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Michelle Gokarakonda
Michelle Gokarakonda marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Guen marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Valerie marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Barbara Helen Berger grew up loving to draw and paint. She studied Art at the University of Washington in Seattle, her home town, where she earned a BFA degree in Painting. During her five years of study, she also went to Yale Summer School of Music & Art, and to Tyler School of Art in Rome, Italy. In Italy she saw the art she had loved from childhood, seen in her father's art books at home.

More about Barbara Helen Berger...