Start by marking “Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand” as Want to Read:
Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand

Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  1,391 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Do you believe in fairies? How about high fashion? Enter the exquisite world of fairie fashion - where feathered hats are designed for maximum lift, oak leaf jackets boast ample wing vents, and flower-petal flats are easily removable for flight.

In the fairie world, there is only one top designer of couture and accessories . . .

Prepare to be enchanted! While humans go about
Published November 1st 2002 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fairie-ality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairie-ality

The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
931 books — 2,023 voters
Tithe by Holly BlackThe Iron King by Julie KagawaThe Hunter's Moon by O.R. MellingThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver ElvesValiant by Holly Black
Sidhe
231 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth
Nov 08, 2009 Beth rated it it was amazing
The fashion-magazine size and layout of this weighty volume is no mistake; Fairie-ality is an imaginative presentation of haute couture for fey folk. Based on the premise that faeries have a season, like the tony upper class, and thus require costumes for spring balls and summer swim parties, Bird and Dowton present a photo essay of tiny designer clothing concocted from natural objects: flowers, leaves, acorn caps, feathers and more.

Gowns take shape with peacock feathers, grass blades and petal
Nomad
Dec 14, 2011 Nomad rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-art
Meh. That's about all I have to say for this book. Meh. It was boring and I was expecting more. I'm not sure what sort of photgraphs I wanted to see... but it wasn't this.

It WAS pretty though.
Joumana
Sep 10, 2016 Joumana rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book is not about art, it is a piece of art! I'm don't usually go for fairies but I could not walk out without this book once it caught my attention. It is a fashion catalogue from the House of Ellwand, top fairie couturier...
Designed like a genuine high-end catalogue with fashion illustration and fancy inserts, Fairie-ality is rich in textures, whether from the different papers used or the beautiful photography, always consistent with what the aesthetics of a tiny nature-dwelling people mi
Heather
Aug 12, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-this-book, art
A beautiful book of fairy couturier clothing for every occation. All the outfits are made from items found in nature.
The dresses are so beautiful, I wish I could have one for real.

Which one would you wear if you were a fairy?

*The Fanciful Pheasant for fall?
The Fanciful Pheasant-Pheasant feather skirt, beaech leaf bodice, and the unexpected Chinese lantern puff sleeves.

@Titania Gown for dancing?
Skin-tingling combination of pigeon (the skirt) and pheasant (the sleeves) with constricted snakes
Karen
Aug 30, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I was most pleased with the book. This is such a whimsical tribute to Faery art! Ellwand has fashioned the most petite, realistic, gowns spun from delicate flower petals, tender new leaves that appear to have been dried in the summer sun. The diminutive shoes are so imaginative, everything from high-heels to boots fashioned from feathers offered here are for the most discerning faery. Included in the complete bridal collection are not only home-grown gowns for the sprites that serve as bridesmai ...more
Cindy
Jun 22, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness! As soon as you open this book you know it's special. There's a few pages in the beginning that are interactive & I found myself catching my breath or whispering, "Oh!"with each page I turned. From the textured cardstock pages, thick vellum paper, the font, the illustrations, the photography, the writing you can't help, but notice every captivating detail. And then we come to the magnificent fairie fashions. Art & imagination know no bounds in this beautifully presented b ...more
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 Sarai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is a marvelous book of finery designed to be worn by faeries. Materials include pressed flowers, feathers, seashells, and other natural objects. Fashions have drawing concepts to go with the finished products. The photography is fabulous. The writing is witty.

To give you an example of the feel of the book, here is a quote from a review on Amazon:

The descriptions for the designs are each more breath-taking than the one before as evidenced by this commentary for the astonishing Maid of Honor
Cassie
Oct 30, 2013 Cassie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fairy fanatics
Recommended to Cassie by: library shelves
Another one of the books that fell in line with the fairy trend. And I bought into it every second. The outfits are cute, yes, but who honestly has the time to craft and painstakingly arrange and photograph and then assemble them all in to a book? It's a good book to flip through while you're waiting at the library for your mom to pick you up, but I wouldn't buy it to flip through more than once. Good for creativity, yes. Good for longevity, no.
Monet St. Louis
Feb 10, 2011 Monet St. Louis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, faeries
this book is SO incredibly breathtaking! There are no words to describe it, iv'e owned it for 3 or 4 years now and i still am awed by the beauty of all the amazing faerie clothes!

If you love faeries, and love art that go buy this book! It will take your breath away. Iv'e been desperately trying to get my hands on the new Faerie-Ality book that came out a year or so ago, but its hard to find in canada.
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: bbya, nonfiction, fantasy
What will the fairies be wearing this season? Calla lilies and rose petal dresses, rhubarb skirts, gerbera daisy bell-bottoms, or snakeskin bikinis? This fashion catalogue for the wee folks will set the trends, in a very beautiful coffee table book that several readers asked for as a Christmas present.
Ashley Howard
Feb 13, 2009 Ashley Howard rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and photographs of the tee tiniest fashion line on earth.
Garments made from flower petals, moss, acorns, bark and fern- vivid colors and textures, sure to delight all the Thumbalinas and Tinkerbells in the world.

Now, if only these natural items could be made large enough to fit human!
Daisy
May 17, 2013 Daisy rated it liked it
The creations are incredible, but it would be better if there were instructions as to how to make your own 'fairy fashions'. It's also a shame that when you do make them they don't last long, as the petals dry out etc.
Chelsea
Sep 14, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. It brings me back to my childhood to when I believed in fairy tales. Also, I'm an art minor and find the clothing in this special book to be very inspiring. My paintings include many of the outfits in this book.
Holly
Jan 03, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is absolutely one of my favourite arty books of all time. Everything in it is gorgeous, from the layout, to the illustrations, to the divine creations. It's a stunning piece of art work in itself, one that I highly recommend to everyone, regardless of their feelings towards the fairy genre.
Stargazer
Oct 05, 2016 Stargazer rated it really liked it
Beautiful.
Denise
Aug 02, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it
clever
Jennifer Feutz
Little things can be the prettiest things. Sometimes the most unlikely things can be the prettiest.
Rowena
Jul 18, 2015 Rowena rated it it was amazing
Love the idea of this book! Beautiful Art!
Cat
Aug 12, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing
This book was great! Loved the fairy fashion; so inspiring! Where, oh where are these wonderful clothes for real life peeps?!
Jessica
May 25, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I really love this book. It is so beautiful and imaginative, making me wish I could join the fairies with their parties and amazing outfits :)
Sara
Dec 14, 2010 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun little book perfect for anyone who loves fashion and fairies.
Susan
Mar 28, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
If you love fashion, whimsy and fantasy, this is the book to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kathleen
Enchanting! Rebecca and I!
Veronica
Jan 16, 2013 Veronica rated it liked it
This was a cute book. It would be good for individuals interested in fashion and little girls who love to play dress up.
Terri Klemetson
Aug 24, 2009 Terri Klemetson rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, great gift for fairie lovers.
Renata Hundley
Aug 14, 2013 Renata Hundley rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book - so creative! If you like plants and flowers, fairies, photography, fashion, and art - this book is for you!
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Roberta
Roberta rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2011
mary martinez
mary martinez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Dayane Ribeiro
Dayane Ribeiro rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2012
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • Fairies
  • The Art of Faery
  • Brian Froud’s World of Faerie
  • How to Find Flower Fairies
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • In the Realm of the Never Fairies: The Secret World of Pixie Hollow
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Rackham's Fairy Tale Illustrations
  • Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
"You may be interested to know that fairies live at my farm in Vermont," says Eugenie Bird, matter-of-factly. "Also, I have asked the woodchucks in the area to stop eating my garden, and I am grateful to say that they have honored my request."

All of this seems appropriate in light of Eugenie Bird's contribution to FAIRIE-ALITY: THE FASHION COLLECTION FROM THE HOUSE OF ELLWAND, where stunning photo
More about Eugenie Bird...