Start by marking “Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand” as Want to Read:
Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand

Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  875 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Do you believe in fairies? How about high fashion? Enter the exquisite world of fairie fashion - where feathered hats are designed for maximum lift, oak leaf jackets boast ample wing vents, and flower-petal flats are easily removable for flight.

In the fairie world, there is only one top designer of couture and accessories . . .

Prepare to be enchanted! While humans go about
Published November 1st 2002 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fairie-ality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fairie-ality

The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
279th out of 872 books — 1,755 voters
Tithe by Holly BlackThe Hunter's Moon by O.R. MellingThe Iron King by Julie KagawaDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningA Lick of Frost by Laurell K. Hamilton
Sidhe
117th out of 215 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Nomad
Meh. That's about all I have to say for this book. Meh. It was boring and I was expecting more. I'm not sure what sort of photgraphs I wanted to see... but it wasn't this.

It WAS pretty though.
Beth
The fashion-magazine size and layout of this weighty volume is no mistake; Fairie-ality is an imaginative presentation of haute couture for fey folk. Based on the premise that faeries have a season, like the tony upper class, and thus require costumes for spring balls and summer swim parties, Bird and Dowton present a photo essay of tiny designer clothing concocted from natural objects: flowers, leaves, acorn caps, feathers and more.

Gowns take shape with peacock feathers, grass blades and petal
Heather
A beautiful book of fairy couturier clothing for every occation. All the outfits are made from items found in nature.
The dresses are so beautiful, I wish I could have one for real.

Which one would you wear if you were a fairy?

*The Fanciful Pheasant for fall?
The Fanciful Pheasant-Pheasant feather skirt, beaech leaf bodice, and the unexpected Chinese lantern puff sleeves.

@Titania Gown for dancing?
Skin-tingling combination of pigeon (the skirt) and pheasant (the sleeves) with constricted snakes
Karen
Aug 30, 2012 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I was most pleased with the book. This is such a whimsical tribute to Faery art! Ellwand has fashioned the most petite, realistic, gowns spun from delicate flower petals, tender new leaves that appear to have been dried in the summer sun. The diminutive shoes are so imaginative, everything from high-heels to boots fashioned from feathers offered here are for the most discerning faery. Included in the complete bridal collection are not only home-grown gowns for the sprites that serve as bridesmai ...more
Cindy
Oh my goodness! As soon as you open this book you know it's special. There's a few pages in the beginning that are interactive & I found myself catching my breath or whispering, "Oh!"with each page I turned. From the textured cardstock pages, thick vellum paper, the font, the illustrations, the photography, the writing you can't help, but notice every captivating detail. And then we come to the magnificent fairie fashions. Art & imagination know no bounds in this beautifully presented b ...more
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 Sarai rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
This is a marvelous book of finery designed to be worn by faeries. Materials include pressed flowers, feathers, seashells, and other natural objects. Fashions have drawing concepts to go with the finished products. The photography is fabulous. The writing is witty.

To give you an example of the feel of the book, here is a quote from a review on Amazon:

The descriptions for the designs are each more breath-taking than the one before as evidenced by this commentary for the astonishing Maid of Honor
Holly
This is absolutely one of my favourite arty books of all time. Everything in it is gorgeous, from the layout, to the illustrations, to the divine creations. It's a stunning piece of art work in itself, one that I highly recommend to everyone, regardless of their feelings towards the fairy genre.
Cassie
Oct 30, 2013 Cassie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fairy fanatics
Recommended to Cassie by: library shelves
Another one of the books that fell in line with the fairy trend. And I bought into it every second. The outfits are cute, yes, but who honestly has the time to craft and painstakingly arrange and photograph and then assemble them all in to a book? It's a good book to flip through while you're waiting at the library for your mom to pick you up, but I wouldn't buy it to flip through more than once. Good for creativity, yes. Good for longevity, no.
Monet St. Louis
this book is SO incredibly breathtaking! There are no words to describe it, iv'e owned it for 3 or 4 years now and i still am awed by the beauty of all the amazing faerie clothes!

If you love faeries, and love art that go buy this book! It will take your breath away. Iv'e been desperately trying to get my hands on the new Faerie-Ality book that came out a year or so ago, but its hard to find in canada.
Ashley Howard
Beautiful illustrations and photographs of the tee tiniest fashion line on earth.
Garments made from flower petals, moss, acorns, bark and fern- vivid colors and textures, sure to delight all the Thumbalinas and Tinkerbells in the world.

Now, if only these natural items could be made large enough to fit human!
Elizabeth
What will the fairies be wearing this season? Calla lilies and rose petal dresses, rhubarb skirts, gerbera daisy bell-bottoms, or snakeskin bikinis? This fashion catalogue for the wee folks will set the trends, in a very beautiful coffee table book that several readers asked for as a Christmas present.
Chelsea
This is one of my favorite books. It brings me back to my childhood to when I believed in fairy tales. Also, I'm an art minor and find the clothing in this special book to be very inspiring. My paintings include many of the outfits in this book.
Daisy
The creations are incredible, but it would be better if there were instructions as to how to make your own 'fairy fashions'. It's also a shame that when you do make them they don't last long, as the petals dry out etc.
Jessica
I really love this book. It is so beautiful and imaginative, making me wish I could join the fairies with their parties and amazing outfits :)
Renata Hundley
What a gorgeous book - so creative! If you like plants and flowers, fairies, photography, fashion, and art - this book is for you!
Veronica
This was a cute book. It would be good for individuals interested in fashion and little girls who love to play dress up.
Susan
If you love fashion, whimsy and fantasy, this is the book to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jennifer Feutz
Little things can be the prettiest things. Sometimes the most unlikely things can be the prettiest.
Sara
A fun little book perfect for anyone who loves fashion and fairies.
Terri Klemetson
Beautiful, great gift for fairie lovers.
Jasmine Jassy
Jasmine Jassy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Joyce ann Alcisto
Joyce ann Alcisto marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Annamarie
Annamarie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Alison Wong
Alison Wong marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • In the Realm of the Never Fairies: The Secret World of Pixie Hollow
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • The Corset: A Cultural History
  • Enchantment of the Faerie Realm: Communicate with Nature Spirits & Elementals
  • The Discovery of Dragons
  • Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
"You may be interested to know that fairies live at my farm in Vermont," says Eugenie Bird, matter-of-factly. "Also, I have asked the woodchucks in the area to stop eating my garden, and I am grateful to say that they have honored my request."

All of this seems appropriate in light of Eugenie Bird's contribution to FAIRIE-ALITY: THE FASHION COLLECTION FROM THE HOUSE OF ELLWAND, where stunning photo
More about Eugenie Bird...
Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand: The Deluxe Edition