Start by marking “The Color of Night” as Want to Read:
The Color of Night

The Color of Night

Former intelligence officer Harry Strand learns that a secret agent can never retire--and never surrender. A widower, he has started his life over and fallen in love with Mara Song, a beautiful Asian art collector. But Harry's peaceful world is shattered when he discovers a shocking videotape of his wife's death in Mara's tape collection.
Published April 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Color of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color of Night

Bill
Dec 30, 2008 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unless I'm somehow misreading this, the book seems to start off with one of the most glaring examples of authorial and editorial malpractice I've seen in years (underlining added):

---------------------------
Chapter 1

Venice, Sestiere Di Dorsoduro

It was the middle of the afternoon, and the windows of the old palazzo were partially opened to the crisp spring air. The study, filled with books and artwork obsessively arranged and cataloged and situated, overlooked the narrow canal, and the light that
Eric_W
David Lindsey is a spy story from a different angle. Harry, Ariane, and Claude are all ex-foreign intelligence officers. With the demise of communism and the fall of the Wall, they realize that their way of life will go the way of the Wall, so they make plans to preserve a source of revenue. They very cleverly rip off a very wealthy man in such a manner that he will never know. Claude disappears suddenly and the two remaining discover that their victim has learned the truth and is exacting veng ...more
Susan
Jan 09, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Lindsey has written two types of books. One type is a series about a Houston police detective and the other is like this one. I like the series but these others are so very special. They are like sitting down to a fine meal that looks as wonderful as it tastes with every bite as special an event as the meal itself. Harry Strand had been a spy. His cover had been art dealer. When he retired he turned into a real art dealer. But after several peaceful years, his past comes back to him and he ...more
Bruce Henderson
Mar 16, 2008 Bruce Henderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy novels in the suspense genre. Sort of like candy for the brain. This novel easily held my interest. Involving a group of agents manipulating intelligence in Europe and the Soviet bloc through a ruthless businessman, set against a background of art, I found it complex and involving. That it also gave me a brief introduction to the world of art appreciation was a welcome bit because that was never part of my formal education. This novel took a few unexpected twists (like many in the genre ...more
Ed
Feb 23, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A non-series thriller I picked up to accompany a long commute. I had no expectations but wound up really enjoying it.

Thriller - Recording - Harry Strand, a Houston art dealer, has a secret past. He was formerly an agent for an intelligence agency where he dealt with Schrade, an international criminal, and helped rob a fortune from him. Now Strand's life is collapsing with those close to him being killed and all signs pointing to Schrade.
Gerry
Apr 09, 2016 Gerry rated it liked it
When a former intelligence agent discovers that his old life is coming back to haunt him, he launches a complicated plot to rid himself of his arch-enemy once and for all. The plot involves valuable art works -- both real and forged -- as well as spy/counter-spy overtones in which no one is completely what he or she seems to be.
Beth
Mar 06, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is in the same vein as Jeffrey Archer's "False Impression" but much better. The main character is a former spy who stole millions from an international bad guy and is now having his life destroyed by said bad guy. His emotions and reactions are well described and realistic. A good read.
Melissa
Oct 29, 2016 Melissa rated it did not like it
This is not my type of book. I thought I'd like the spies and secret services and missions but i don't like how this jumps all over the place. Only made it about half way thru before i had to put it down
Frank Corriveau
Jan 24, 2016 Frank Corriveau rated it really liked it
First read of this author. Really enjoyed it. A slow beginning that really took off in the middle to a great ending. Kept my interest throughout as the character interaction and development was perfect.
Tbirdmikeh
I love spy novels and this one did not disappoint in that regard. The author, however, tends to be rather long-winded, using tons of adjectives that I feel do not add to the plot. Good read, though.
Sheri Longshore
Good solid spy read. Twisty & Turn-y enough to have to pay attention. Satisfying ending.
Jeff Dickison
Mar 08, 2012 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than average spy, international intrigue, story. Lindsey is not one of my favorite authors but he does all right with this one. Recommended for spy/thriller enthusiasts.
Michael
Lindsey provides a pace that's legitimate to the Clancyish/Ludlumish genre, but achieves a rank only below them.http://michaelprager.com/david-lindse...
Karen
Feb 14, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good, kept my interest!
Dami
Jan 02, 2016 Dami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caroline Mcphail-Lambert
Dragged a little at times, but different concept for a thriller. Will try another of his books as comparison.
Karen
Eh. Kinda obvious, not that well-written. WHEN WILL I FINISH THESE FREAKING LIBRARY BOOK SALE BOOKS????
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2015
Sonya L Moore
Sonya L Moore rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2012
Zach
Zach rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2011
Irene Neault
Irene Neault rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2017
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Leigh Ann
Leigh Ann rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Jeff Carter
Jeff Carter rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Kathy Giannotti
Kathy Giannotti rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2010
Pat Burrows
Pat Burrows rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Elaine Jones
Elaine Jones rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Betrayal
  • Pay Off
  • Closed Circle
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • The Reunion
  • Undone
  • Quiet as a Nun (Jemima Shore, #1)
  • French Kiss
  • The Amethysts
  • The Infant of Prague (November Man, #8)
  • The Tartan Sell (Lovejoy, #10)
  • FINAL ARGUMENT - A Legal Thriller (Clifford Irving's Legal Novels Book 2)
  • The Alchemist
  • Eyeshot (Sonora Blair, #2)
  • In the Heat of the Summer
Lindsey spent his childhood in the Texas Rio Grande Valley and in West Texas, near San Angelo. He graduated from North Texas State University with a degree in English literature and moved to Austin, Texas in 1970, where he has lived ever since.

During the 1970s, Lindsey worked as a book editor at a number of small publishing houses in Austin. At one point he operated his own publishing firm, Heidel
More about David L. Lindsey...