Start by marking “Seekers Guide to Harry Potter” as Want to Read:
Seekers Guide to Harry Potter

Seekers Guide to Harry Potter

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Seize this opportunity to look more deeply into the narrative themes, symbols and mythic elements encountered in the Harry Potter books. Drawing from diverse spiritual and scholarly sources, The Seeker's Guide to Harry Potter offers seekers of all kinds an open-minded guide to the rich layers of meaning and symbolism we encounter in all seven of the novels.
Published May 11th 2010 by John Hunt Publishing (first published February 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Seekers Guide to Harry Potter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seekers Guide to Harry Potter

Karin
The book explains how harry travels thru the chemical stages and becomes his own philosopher's stone and what it means to himself and the wizarding world that he does this.

It is full of different myths that Rowling may have consciously or unconsciously put into her books. Voldemort dies the day after May Day, so Harry performs his sacrifice on May Day, significant in cyclical light vs dark times of the year. How Harry's different wands symbolize different parts of his journey.

I liked how the a
Vivian
The author engages the reader (seeker) in an exploration of the Harry Potter novels using character development, choices, symbols, and more. These features can be applied to the reader's (seeker's) own life experience. I found it to be fascinating and informative. I appreciated the quotes and insights.

I borrowed this from my library through inter-library loan. (Thank you Phoenix, AZ library for sending your copy). I'm thinking I might need to own this one. Reading it made me want to pull out my
Duke
It's really good, and from a much different perspective than what I'm used to. The author is a professor of anthropology and psychology and her insights supplement nicely the literary and philosophical perspectives I've taken while reading and analyzing the series. The qualms I do have with the book are her sometimes annoying style and the book's poor editing.
I really wanted to like this one, and I tried pretty hard, but two chapters and an hour and a half in, I lost the will to live. The author just tries way too hard to make this book seem academic, with a ridiculous amount of references and quotes that jar the flow of writing.

As a final year linguistics student, I practically breathe journal articles, so I know proper academic writing when I see it and this just didn't work for me. Maybe if I'd read it in a few months time after graduation, or be
Georgina
This is a definite must read for any Harry Potter fan.

Geo Trevarthen points out hidden meanings within the books that I can guarantee even the most avid fan would have overlooked or been unaware of. I was amazed to learn just how much research JK Rowling must have done, and how every little detail of surroundings, character names etc. have meaning or history in alchemy and magic. The author really makes you question how the issues raised in the Harry Potter books can teach us a lot about our day
Caroline
This is a really neat book for anyone who wants to explore some of the deeper meanings in Harry Potter. I really enjoyed reading it and connecting all the dots!
Amanda
Another cute book to accompany the series.
Frantastic
Frantastic marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Yuval Zer kavod
Yuval Zer kavod marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Isabelle
Isabelle marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Ellianne
Ellianne marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Neroli
Neroli marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Shannon Haggarty
Shannon Haggarty marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jun 27, 2014
Mei Mei
Mei Mei marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014