The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression

The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,817 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This instructional and reference manual is a visual index of facial expressions. It centres on the muscles of expression and their effects as a basis for understanding and analyzing those expressions they see on models and in photographs. Artists will be aided in understanding expression and in creating expression. The book is organized around three parts - part one analyz...more
Published October 1st 1990 by Watson-Guptill Publications

Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

This book should be a compulsory book for all artists, all those that draw faces anyway.

It's a in-depth instructional art book on facial expressions. The three main sections are on head structure, facial muscles and the six basic human emotions: sadness, anger, joy, fear, disgust and surprise. Every little nuance or muscle twitch on the face is analysed and explained. Other than the drawings created by the author Gary Faigin himself, there are also tons of examp...more
Barbara Klaser
I've seen this book recommended for two very different purposes, the intended one as art instruction, another as an aid in helping those with Asperger's or high-functioning autism learn more about facial expressions.

It's a wonderful art instruction, in that it covers the anatomy of the face as well as the full range of facial expression. I'm not a serious portraitist, but I find that even my casual drawings of faces have tended to lack something in the past, something I wasn't coming to grips wi...more
James
Feb 29, 2008 James rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Artists and students of nonverbal communication
This is a great reference for anyone portraying the human face in any medium. It is both practical and thoughtful; it draws examples and illustrations from all cultures and historical periods, and shows in great detail, feature by feature, how the face reflects each of the primary emotions, down to the underlying musculature that causes our expressions to be what they are. I used this when making some mask-type sculptures and found it helped me achieve much more powerful, authentic, and effectiv...more
Kwakwa Anthony
Mar 11, 2014 Kwakwa Anthony is currently reading it
i need to study the various facial expressions and how to draw them
Fenra
I bought the book because I like to draw people and wanted to improve myself and this book helped actually a lot. It's built up very well and shows very clearly how people perceive various facial expressions and when they seem kind of off to us. This book shows things like false smiles which is really not that easy to describe and even harder to draw.

I think everyone who wants to illustrate the inner thoughts of the persons he's drawing should have a look at this book.
RatCreature
It's a very cool book with a great systematic approach as a reference for expressions. My only quibble with it is that the green overlaid color is on some pages slightly out of alignment in my copy. It's only a few millimeters but that kind of printing fault shouldn't happen in an art book. It's nowhere bad enough to impede usefulness or legibility, though.
Billy
Apr 30, 2008 Billy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any artist
This book i indispensable to me as an artist. I cannot praise it enough. It is a detailed book with many drawings that I found very educational the first time I read it and the perfect reference each time I have read it or referred to it since. There have been many times I have turned to this book to work out sketches and character designs.
Mary
Even though I'll likely never be able to duplicate the level of art demonstrated in the book, I enjoyed it nonetheless even just as a tool to practice emotional recognition. It also teaches about WHY the face looks the way it does during emotion, including musculature reactions.
Nina
Dec 27, 2007 Nina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Character TDs
This book has a fabulous array of facial expressions. As a rigging artist, it's very helpful to see how the face moves, wrinkles, stretches when making specific expressions. Very useful resource for facial rigging.
Serge Pierro
An excellent book for learning how to draw facial expressions. It clearly illustrates and explains the details necessary to convincingly pull off the expressions.
Geoff Sebesta
One of the two best artistic anatomy books I've ever seen. Filled with information that will, no joke, change your life.
Scott Kroll
I took this out from the library, but I think I need to own it. Such a good book on facial expression.
Jertalbot
A must have for anyone doing human based computer graphics
Praveenmoud
Praveenmoud marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Hayloa
Hayloa marked it as to-read
Vishnuvel Diwan
Vishnuvel Diwan marked it as to-read
Javadmoghtader777
Javadmoghtader777 marked it as to-read
Qais Toorie
Qais Toorie marked it as to-read
Sei Bong,
Sei Bong, marked it as to-read
Jannick
Jannick marked it as to-read
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Drawing the Head and Hands
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists
  • Classical Drawing Atelier: A Contemporary Guide to Traditional Studio Practice
  • Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures - Volume 1
  • Imaginative Realism: How to Paint What Doesn't Exist
  • Drawing Dynamic Hands
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Creativity
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Perspective On the Classical Tradition
  • John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
  • How to Draw What You See
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Drawing Lessons from the Great Masters: 100 Great Drawings Analyzed, Figure Drawing Fundamentals Defined