Start by marking “The Path of a Christian Witch” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Path of a Christia...

Adelina St. Clair

The Path of a Christian Witch

Is it possible to be a Christian Witch?

At a time when the merging of spiritual systems can be controversial and challenging, this inspiring book offers guidance and insight into blending faiths in today's world.

Raised in the Catholic faith, Adelina St. Clair spent many years questioning and soul-searching before she found a way to merge aspects of Wicca and Christianity

Published September 1st 2010 by Llewellyn Worldwide, LTD. (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of a Christian Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path of a Christian Witch

Lee Harmon
Apr 25, 2011 Lee Harmon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joyce called me to the center of the circle. I walked up to her, my heart pounding in my chest. Our eyes locked. She said, “Adelina, have you chosen your deity pair?” I answered, “I have.” She continued, “Who have you chosen?” I took a deep breath, bathed in the energy of this holy gathering and stated for all to hear, “Jesus of Nazareth and Mary of Magdala.”

If you’re reading this from a Christian perspective, may I make a suggestion about how to approach this book? Don’t read critically. Suspen
Silke
Feb 17, 2013 Silke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paganisme
First of all for you need to see this book in its right setting. Especially for West European readers like myself. In Canada and the united states Christianity is still a big thing. Whole communities are built around a church and at times I thought “really, are you serious about this?” But that is when I learned I had to put it a little bit in perspective. Here the churches are running empty and we don’t really follow the guidelines in the bible anymore.
This book caught my attention because I my
Sara Nia (The British Belle)
This book spoke to me. So deeply. So powerfully. I don't really have words right now. Just...all the feels. Beautiful.
Amanda Pearl
The Path of a Christian Witch is is a beautifully written account of one person's struggle to balance the faith she was born into and loved with a new found relationship with the Divine feminine. I really related to this book, being brought up Christian myself, and found a lot of comfort knowing that other people had gone through the same struggles.

This book is an important work about spiritual tolerance. People of all religions spend so much time judging one another, and a person blending two
Carola
Jan 24, 2013 Carola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's part memoir and part "how-to". Being someone who grew up Catholic, it gave me a lot to think about. All along I felt that the church (at least the ones I went to) only preached fear and used that to bully people into doing what they wanted. This is why I follow the Wiccan path. I loved the authors journey, but a little different than mine. I feel a pull and connection to elemental beings, the fairy folk, and mystical beings, so I don't think the Christian ...more
Amy Law
I picked up this book out curiosity and was pleasantly surprised. I very much enjoyed the book. Its more a spiritual diary more than anything. But done in a very enjoyable way.

Recommended for: those that feel conflicted between the two religions

This book does seem to bring up an issue I see more and more lately in the pagan community. Which is this animosity against any differing of opinions. Its truly sad. The people who claim to be the most open minded, seem to become the most closed minded.
Jenne
Dec 12, 2010 Jenne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The book was written from the perspective of a Catholic Christian so she very much had different views than my own Christianity. I was able to understand most of her Catholic background but it still didn't provide for me the connection with Christianity I was hoping for. She does however share my frustrations with feminism being cast down, authority/organized religion truncating personal spirituality so much of what she wrote was very familiar. Overall, I liked it. I'm glad I own a copy of it an ...more
Gaile
The author began in confusion over her christian faith and her interest in the feminine side of religion. During the course of this book, she manages to merge the two into a faith she can live with.
She had a Roman Catholic upbringing. I too of that church but early Christianity had to work with the pagan beliefs of the common people who were very stubborn in letting go of them. Much of the rituals and practices of Catholicism have evolved out of the pagan religions. Much has also been lost. Find
Vanessa
Jun 14, 2017 Vanessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting and relatable memoir of someone who has Christian beliefs but is also drawn to a wider spirituality. The author makes an important distinction between faith and religion, one that speaks volumes to someone who is born and raised culturally Christian but also has sincere reservations about Christian dogma, doctrine and culture. It's a fascinating peek into the author's spirituality and how she's reconciled two seemingly contradictory traditions.
Onyx
Jan 11, 2014 Onyx rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Open-Minded Christians and Wiccans
This book kind of came to me at the right time....
I have my doubts though, that the author has written this book under her real name, because to do that would have invited some to stone her and others to roast her. After all, this an attempt to join together two beliefs systems that are notoriously uncomfortable with each other into one that's workable. I nevertheless see a woman who was courageous enough to take an honest look at her beliefs and ask herself, "But what is it that I'm really abou
C.K. Brooke
Interesting. The author sounds like a beautiful, gentle spirit and peacefully shares how she makes both traditions work for her. (IMO, her path by no means could work for everyone.) I was also disappointed that the first/only issue she seemed to ever take with the church was that they didn't approve of her premarital sex with her boyfriend. Sort of shallow; there are way deeper and more profound issues with the church. Anyway, the composition was rather autobiographical for my tastes in this gen ...more
Christine
Nov 12, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book since I have recently re-explored my Catholic roots by attending RCIA and getting confirmed at age 48. I was curious as to how the author bridged the thinking between Catholicism and being a Witch. I think she has done well although I don't agree with some because that isn't my experience. I do agree there is a lot of occult in the Catholic church which I find fascinating. The rigidity of the church though has turned me away but I also took a lot away from my experience.

Sandra
Dec 18, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-craft
was well written and I enjoyed finding there were many connections or similarities in paganism and Christianity. Was nice knowing I'm not completely alone in my journey and though I may not be a catholic or witch I understand the dilemma of finding your own inner voice and peace and feeling you belong. excellent book will be rereading it in the future. loads of great advice for developing a practice.
Carla
Feb 13, 2016 Carla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
In general a sweet and lovely book to read. In parts I was definitely uncomfortable with the culturally appropriative and inaccurate comments regarding Indigenous religions and closed cultures and it was definitely not okay to use the g-slur. The ignorant comments about cultures outside her own was troublesome, but I have to say that those things aren't a huge part of the book. I'm really conflicted about this rating because the non-problematic parts of the book really are very very good.
Betty Cross
May 31, 2012 Betty Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly original spiritual perspective, but it's likely to drive mainstream theologians (whether Catholic, Protestant or Orthodox) nuts.

Ms. St. Clair describes a journey of spiritual discovery. She is not out to found a new religion. She may not even have a coven. Much of what she does is in the "solitary practitioner" mode. Recommended for neo-Pagans and those who feel internally torn when faced with the choice of being Pagan or Christian.
Ashley
Jul 12, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first I read on my spiritual journey. I think it really bridged the gap between Christianity and witchcraft, and enforced my own belief that Church dogma and the teachings of Jesus are, often times, two separate things. I recommend this book for anyone interested in witchcraft, but unsure how it will mesh with currently held beliefs. You'll learn a lot.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Two parts diary and one part instruction, this book is an interesting look into one woman's spiritual journey to transcend religious barriers that should not exist. It serves as an inspiration and a starting point. If I weren't already of eclectic spiritual beliefs, this book probably would have opened me up to them. I'm very glad to have discovered it.
Juanita Baltz
Nov 24, 2011 Juanita Baltz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book and it took me about two weeks to decide that it was o.k. for me to read it. Would it be a book that I felt I had to hide? I loved it. It is about a young woman who mixes her Christianity with Wicca and did not feel shame. It took two tried before she felt at ease. I grew several sizes in my own search when she names her pantheon.
Grete
Oct 17, 2014 Grete rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Part spiritual memoir, part apologetics, part how-to manual - this book tries to be and do too many things, and doesn't do any of them particularly well. Competent but uninspiring prose; curiously impersonal, for a memoir. St. Clair is seriously underinformed about the diversity within Christian theology and practice, and she relies heavily on stereotypes about the Church.
Joanne Nock
May 07, 2016 Joanne Nock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book, the main purpose of which appears to be exploring the premise that it is possible to be a witch under paganism and still retain some christian values. There are also lots of practical advice snippets for getting more attuned to your own energies and learning how to harness them for a more holistic wellbeing.
Jasmine
This book is beautifully written. It is simply the story of what Adelina went through on her journey to understand her place in the world. There were a lot of moments that made me cry because I understood how she torn she felt inside and some because her joy made me that happy. I would love to sit with the author and just hear more of her journey.

Lovely.
Brittany
May 29, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this - while I don't know that I agree with absolutely everything that works for her, the core is excellent. We need more of these kinds of books in the world and I will definitely turn to this one many more times in the future.
Addison Shye
Nov 21, 2013 Addison Shye rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-star
The author hesitated to provide true insight into her practice of witchcraft, which is what this book was supposed to be about given its title. I did not appreciate this veil of secrecy.
Lina
Oct 21, 2011 Lina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
A little fluffy but it gave me a lot to think about.
Ashley Howd
Beautifully written. Very helpful for those struggling with how Christianity and Paganism can relate.
Annie
Oct 25, 2014 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, recommend to those who want to combine both paths.
Paula Kirman
Sep 03, 2013 Paula Kirman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the end, the author is definitely more witch than Christian, but it is an interesting personal story of a spiritual path that is rather unique.
Tessie
Nov 16, 2016 Tessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-kindle
I really enjoyed this book.
fleegan
Sep 02, 2012 fleegan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This memoir was really vague. It's a memoir but it's not that personal and she doesn't give a lot of details about her life. She mostly talks about rituals and witchcraft. It was short.
Chris Corliss
Rambling personal history of the author. Some interesting historic facts I'd like to research more. This was just a jumping off place.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Jesus Through Pagan Eyes: Bridging Neopagan Perspectives with a Progressive Vision of Christ
  • The Two Marys: The Hidden History of the Mother and Wife of Jesus
  • Witch School: First Degree: Lessons in the Correllian Tradition
  • Majestie: The King Behind the King James Bible
  • Altars: Bringing Sacred Shrines into Your Everyday Life
  • A Teaching Handbook for Wiccans and Pagans: Practical Guidance for Sharing Your Path
  • Hekate: Her Sacred Fires
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • The Guises of the Morrigan - The Irish Goddess of Sex & Battle
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • Bloody Irish: Great Irish Vampire Stories
  • Angels: Companions in Magick
  • Celtic Women's Spirituality: Accessing the Cauldron of Life
  • Magical Herbalism: The Secret Craft of the Wise (Llewellyn's Practical Magick Series)
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Mansions of the Moon for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Lunar Magic
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • Gospel According to Jesus

“Nature is also God's way of communicating with us. Jesus himself used nature to teach us about God. He used birds and flowers, the weather, precious stones...Looking at nature, we can come to understand God himself.” 4 likes
“In the Christ light, we are all brothers and sisters. We gather around the teachings of the saints, those who knew him and understood his teachings, so that they may be kept alive in faith. And in this light, death shall not prevail.” 0 likes