Start by marking “Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel

Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  10 reviews
PThis book about Luther's theology is written out of a two-fold conviction. First, that many of our problems have arisen because we have not really understood our own traditions, especially in the case of Luther; and second, that there is still a lot of help for us in someone like Luther if we take the trouble to probe beneath the surface. It is an attempt to interpret Lut ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 28th 1972 by Augsburg Fortress, Publishers (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Where God Meets Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where God Meets Man

Brandon Stewart
Jun 30, 2009 Brandon Stewart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Brandon by: Mark Bogen
This book is awesome! It helps the reader to reject the theology of the ladder to heaven that has become so commonplace in the Church today, and invites the reader to come to a place where he or she sees the Christian faith as liberation from the law, as a pathway of death and resurrection, and deals with the implications of that thought to the Christian life. What a great book! I highly recommend it!
Jeremy Serrano
This is by far the best book I have read on Lutheran theology. Every chapter is densely packed with good stuff.

The book is short, but it says more than longer books with the same scope.

I will be adding this to my once a year reading list. I need this book to become part of me.

I do have one beef with the way the book is written; there are no scripture references on which to ground anything he talks about. I guess one could go to Luther who uses scripture in the source material, but this book sho
Doug
I can't really review this book but I can say that it helped me to better understand what I know. Some times in our actions it seems there is a very fine line between Luther's teachings of law and grace and how we approach those teachings in our life. It seems that we can move from grace to earning points easily.
Inger Hanson
A concise, accessible exploration of the core of (an) interpretation of Luther's theology. Provides a nice critique and contrast with the (perhaps louder) voices of decision theology. For me, it is a review and refresh of my Lutheran Confessions seminary class!
Julie
Cannot recommend this book enough. I bought a used copy on Amazon, passed it on to others, after I read it twice. Will get another copy and read it again and again. It is worth reading yearly. I never tire of hearing Where God Meets ME.
Linda
Oct 22, 2011 Linda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I borrowed the copy I read, but I'd like to get one of my own. This is a book I will want to refer to again and again.
Annabelle
This was a lot to chew on. Now that I'm finished, I kind of feel like I should turn around and start the book all over again!
Dale S Westervelt
Absolutely brilliant! A book that I shall quote and re-read for the balance of my days.
Christopher Porter
Compellingly wrong, and therefore dangerous.
Tamara Blickhan
Recommended by Bruce Zittlow for Rick.
Todd Wilhelm
Todd Wilhelm is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Jo
Jo added it
Dec 31, 2014
Jodi-renee Giron
Jodi-renee Giron marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Gerhard O. Forde was an American Lutheran theologian who wrote extensively on the Protestant Reformation and Lutheran Theology and tradition. He was professor of systematic theology at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota and even after Dr. Forde's retirement in 1998 he remained active as a teacher and lecturer for several years.
More about Gerhard O. Forde...
On Being a Theologian of the Cross: Reflections on Luther's Heidelberg Disputation, 1518 Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification Theology Is for Proclamation Justification by Faith: A Matter of Death and Life Captivation of the Will: Luther Vs. Erasmus on Freedom and Bondage