Start by marking “Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel” as Want to Read:
Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel

Where God Meets Man: Luther's down-to-Earth Approach to the Gospel

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
PThis book about Luther's theology is written out of a two-fold conviction. First, that many of our problems have arisen because we have not really understood our own traditions, especially in the case of Luther; and second, that there is still a lot of help for us in someone like Luther if we take the trouble to probe beneath the surface. It is an attempt to interpret Lut ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 28th 1972 by Augsburg Fortress, Publishers (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Where God Meets Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where God Meets Man

Brandon Stewart
Jun 30, 2009 Brandon Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone!
Recommended to Brandon by: Mark Bogen
This book is awesome! It helps the reader to reject the theology of the ladder to heaven that has become so commonplace in the Church today, and invites the reader to come to a place where he or she sees the Christian faith as liberation from the law, as a pathway of death and resurrection, and deals with the implications of that thought to the Christian life. What a great book! I highly recommend it!
Jeremy Serrano
This is by far the best book I have read on Lutheran theology. Every chapter is densely packed with good stuff.

The book is short, but it says more than longer books with the same scope.

I will be adding this to my once a year reading list. I need this book to become part of me.

I do have one beef with the way the book is written; there are no scripture references on which to ground anything he talks about. I guess one could go to Luther who uses scripture in the source material, but this book sho
Michael Catalano
This book methodically dispels the idea that Christians must climb a ladder to Good through good works and behavior and, instead, espouses the idea that Good meets us where we are, understanding the human things we do. Forde grants great clarity to Luther's theology while providing commentary on current issues in the church. A must read for any interested in learning more about Christianity.
Doug
I can't really review this book but I can say that it helped me to better understand what I know. Some times in our actions it seems there is a very fine line between Luther's teachings of law and grace and how we approach those teachings in our life. It seems that we can move from grace to earning points easily.
Inger Hanson
Dec 09, 2013 Inger Hanson rated it it was amazing
A concise, accessible exploration of the core of (an) interpretation of Luther's theology. Provides a nice critique and contrast with the (perhaps louder) voices of decision theology. For me, it is a review and refresh of my Lutheran Confessions seminary class!
Julie
Dec 09, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cannot recommend this book enough. I bought a used copy on Amazon, passed it on to others, after I read it twice. Will get another copy and read it again and again. It is worth reading yearly. I never tire of hearing Where God Meets ME.
Linda
Oct 22, 2011 Linda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Great book! I borrowed the copy I read, but I'd like to get one of my own. This is a book I will want to refer to again and again.
Annabelle
Jul 29, 2011 Annabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a lot to chew on. Now that I'm finished, I kind of feel like I should turn around and start the book all over again!
Dale S Westervelt
Absolutely brilliant! A book that I shall quote and re-read for the balance of my days.
Christopher Porter
Compellingly wrong, and therefore dangerous.
Tamara
Recommended by Bruce Zittlow for Rick.
Erik Chrissis
Erik Chrissis marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Cynthia J
Cynthia J rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sjur Furali
Sjur Furali marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
Joshua Bartholomew
Joshua Bartholomew is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2016
Dave Simpson
Dave Simpson rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Michael Nitsch
Michael Nitsch rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Matt Schur
Matt Schur rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Anna Lynch
Anna Lynch rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Eva Mauch
Eva Mauch is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2016
Brad Smith
Brad Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Jerry L. Dufeck
Jerry L. Dufeck rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Jim Hale
Jim Hale marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Caleb Kormann
Caleb Kormann marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Jae
Jae rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gerhard O. Forde was an American Lutheran theologian who wrote extensively on the Protestant Reformation and Lutheran Theology and tradition. He was professor of systematic theology at Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota and even after Dr. Forde's retirement in 1998 he remained active as a teacher and lecturer for several years.
More about Gerhard O. Forde...