Start by marking “The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind” as Want to Read:
The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind

The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind

Meditation offers, in addition to its many other benefits, a method for achieving previously inconceivable levels of concentration. Author B. Alan Wallace has nearly thirty years' practice in attention-enhancing meditation, including a retreat he ...
Paperback, Large Print, 338 pages
Published October 8th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Attention Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Attention Revolution

Bobby
Sep 11, 2008 Bobby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in meditation
Recommended to Bobby by: Buddhist Geeks podcast
Fascinating tour of the 9 nine stages of shamatha, the ultimate achievement of which Tibetan Buddhist thought considers necessary before Vipassana or insight meditation practice training is even begun. That's apparently a very strict interpretation, because according to the author, the achievement of shamatha - which apparently results in a perfectly "healthy" mind - able to focus laser like attention on anything one wishes - is exceedingly rare in the modern world - especially in the West. Most ...more
Janne Asmala
Feb 20, 2009 Janne Asmala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meditation
A well-written guide to meditative concentration practice, interweaving traditional wisdom with a solid scientific perspective. My only quibble is that much of the book concentrates on hard-to-reach advanced stages of concentration, for which the book by itself is an insufficient guide in any case.
Kai
Dec 23, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, psychology
When I bought the book, that was because I thought: "Oh yes, I could really do better in so many aspects if I could focus my attention better." (And also because my wife is a Buddhist and therefore we have a general interest in the topic.) When I opened the book, it was clear very soon that the book was not made for me. It introduces the ten steps of meditative insight that lead to a stage of Shamatha where attention is sustained, perfect and effortless. Out of these ten stages, the first two ca ...more
Yolanda Ruiz
Mar 23, 2016 Yolanda Ruiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Libro interesante para entender el shamata desde el punto de vista del budismo tibetano. Hay cosas que resultarían sorprendentes incluso en una película de ciencia ficción pero eso espolea la imaginación, que nunca es malo!!
Hollis
Sep 02, 2012 Hollis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual

I really enjoyed ths, but given my own progress, it was quickly beyond me in its instructions
Gerardo
May 08, 2016 Gerardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(In Spanish below)

"The Attention Revolution" is Alan Wallace take on the 9 stages conducive to shamatha (meditative quiescence) according to the Indo-Tibetan Buddhism tradition. The book also provides meditations on the Four Immeasurables, Lucid Dreaming and Dream Yoga practices to complement the shamatha practice, aswell as small dissertations about his personal experiences with the practice, modern scientific research and clarifications about commonly misconceived terms (such as mindfulness).

T
Kenny
May 21, 2015 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: left-unfinished
I got to all of stage 2 and then stopped because... craving....more food (which is bound up by the more unmentionable version) - great read that helped me see the linkage between lax and relaxing. I would dip back into this when I'm...less craving
Shashi Martynova
Понятная и прозрачная методичка (sic) по шаматхе и випашьяне, годится даже для людей, которые впервые слышат о дыхательных практиках. Писано сильно практикующим человеком с двумя высшими (западными) образованиями и многолетним опытом протяженных ретритов по шаматхе.
Mike Kraman
Aug 04, 2011 Mike Kraman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book!!! It teaches meditation skills and how to concentrate. I am a Christian...so some of the Buddhist stuff I needed to let slip by, but if you go through the first couple of levels you will be amazed!
Francesca Hampton
One of the best books on understanding meditation and buddhist practice i have even read. Working my way through all of A;an Wallace's books now. A superb teacher with the background and realizations to speak with authority.
yoimhungry
Stopped reading this book because I lost interest in it. There were many claims about what this book would help with, but it all requires the dedication of meditation.
Yeshe-Phillip Carbo
This is a very good introduction to meditation and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning not only how to meditate but how to deepen and enhance one's practice of meditation.
Andre Graham
It's a good description of the stages of meditation but I find his introduction to various other techniques past stage 4 an annoying distraction, if I ever reached that far!!!
Shea
Oct 31, 2009 Shea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've only read the first several chapters; everything after that is kind of abstract, and I will have to return it to the library soon. Brilliant and very helpful.
William
William rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Polter77
Polter77 rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
Ripley Nox
Ripley Nox rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2012
Kanita
Kanita rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Eileen Chambers
Eileen Chambers rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2014
Masi Dawoud
Masi Dawoud rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Javi Peña
Javi Peña rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Adam
Adam rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Angie Lopez
Angie Lopez rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Daniel Carew
Daniel Carew rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Graham
Graham rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Oliver Powell
Oliver Powell rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2014
Suzanne Sims
Suzanne Sims rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Phillip
Phillip rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Jeremy Hunt
Jeremy Hunt rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
  • The Practice of Lojong: Cultivating Compassion through Training the Mind
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Focused and Fearless: A Meditator's Guide to States of Deep Joy, Calm, and Clarity
  • The Bliss of Inner Fire: Heart Practice of the Six Yogas of Naropa
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Wake Up To Your Life: Discovering the Buddhist Path of Attention
  • How to Meditate: A Practical Guide
  • Original Wisdom: Stories of an Ancient Way of Knowing
  • The Heart of Buddhist Meditation: The Buddha's Way of Mindfulness

“Meditation is a balancing act between attention and relaxation.” 6 likes
“Again and again, counteract the agitation and turbulence of the mind by relaxing more deeply, not by contracting the body or mind.” 0 likes