Start by marking “Holy Bible: Seek Find: The Bible for All People (Contemporary English Version)” as Want to Read:
Holy Bible: Seek Find: The Bible for All People (Contemporary English Version)

Holy Bible: Seek Find: The Bible for All People (Contemporary English Version)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The CEV was published by the American Bible Society in response to an urgent need for a translation that would reach those many millions who are not reading the Bible. The goal was a serious translation-not a paraphrase-combining historical and scholarly accuracy with contemporary language that everyone can understand. Here is a Bible that speaks to all people, wherever th ...more
Published October 5th 2006 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Bible

Zari
I enjoyed this version of the Bible. While it is a sweeter translation the truth remains that the Word of God is alive and active and sharper than any two-edged sword. I received fresh revelation from this version just as I have from the KJV, NIV, Message, Amplified and NLT versions read before this one. What matters is submission to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to be the Divine and excellent teacher that He is.
Bryan457
Dec 09, 2014 Bryan457 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Genesis - foundational to any hope of understanding the rest of the Bible. Do I believe in the supernatural or not?
Exodus - God chooses a people, demonstrates that He is the greatest and most powerful God ever and begins trying to mold and shape them to His purpose. Are the various commandments, laws and rules for all people in all times, or only for the Israelites at that time? Do these laws and rules tell us what God is like, and what His will is, or do they tell us what the Israelites were li
David Campton
A dynamic equivalence translation of the Bible coming out of the same stable and ideology of the "Good News/Today's English Version" of the Bible, but based on a lower reading age and aimed at people who are not familiar with the traditional language and concepts of Christian faith. Some have accused the translators not only of simplifying the language (which brings its own problems) but also skewing some of the theological meaning... but given that many of these critics are themselves approachi ...more
Brett
Not long ago I completed my fourth reading of the Bible. The translation I read this time was a version of the Contemporary English Vervsion (CEV) which I had been given in 1997 at the ELCA Lutheran National Youth Gathering in New Orleans. The picture accompanying this review is not the same cover as my Bible, but I think it is the same text.

All four that I've read are fairly common protestant translations that have had either the official or tacit endorsement of the ELCA church I grew up in. H
Jerk
This is the most abused, one sided, and “messed with” translation of the bible I have ever read from. It is so blatant that it is almost funny to read. I occasionally like to call up random Mormons and pretend to be a minister of the “Church of the Son of the Morning.” I like to yell at them and read to them from this translation of the Bible, and let me tell you; I have made grown men cry by reading from this book.

Here is an example of its absurdity.

The KJV says:
Ezekiel Chapter 37:19

“Say unto t
Chilly SavageMelon
My mom might be a good Catholic, or she might be a bit of a nut. But at one point, she agreed to buy me a plane ticket to Europe were I to read the Bible in it's entirety.

"Did you really do it?", people often ask, knowing I took and used the ticket.

Of course, I'm a good son. It took over a year to complete, and I still have my notes somewhere - all the bits of OT hatred, parts that seem to contradict, things here and there that stick out as interesting. But in all, it's rather dull. What's amazi
Ryan Andrew
I am reading through the Scriptures for the second time and have found this modern translation to be a God-send. Many lists contain numeric (5) as opposed to alphabetic (five) numbers, which helps. There are times when certain moments of heaviness are dulled through colloquial words, but having read the King James the first time, it is nice to experience the other side of the chess board.
Brendan Cheney
Dec 28, 2009 Brendan Cheney marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Too many people hold conservative views without knowing what the Bible actually says.

FYI, the CEV is not very poetic. I know some writing teachers recommend that anyone wanting to improve their prose should read the Bible - they specifically mean the King James Bible, not the CEV.
Claire
The most "readable" version of the Bible for modern readers looking to move through the scripture, in my opinion. It varies quite a bit from the versions I grew up with, which makes the "famous" scriptures a bit weird to come across, but very relateable and applicable.
Cherie Durbin
This is my favorite Bible. While easy to read, the translation stays true to the original text. It's printed on quality paper and I love the modern cover design. I found this book years ago in a bargain bin for five dollars. It's the best investment I ever made.
Patiki
OMG (who probably is laughing) I hate hate hate this version of the Bible. My pastor likes to read Ecclesiastes in this version, which BUTCHERS the book.
Nancy
I took a year to read the Bible and chose this version as more easily understandable. Believe me--there's still plenty I don't understand.
Joan DeArtemis
I don't like this version as much as the HarperCollins version, but sometimes I just want to see something worded slightly differently
Veronica
Aug 16, 2009 Veronica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every one
Recommended to Veronica by: a friend
The bible is brand new & in very good condition. It contains the Old & New Testaments & very easy to read.
Anna
A fairly readable translation of the Bible. NOT a study Bible, but good for just sitting down and reading.
LauraSue
Aug 15, 2013 LauraSue rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who wants a better life
This is the instruction book for my life. I want to live like Jesus and follow his teachings.
Kimberly Rivera
Kimberly Rivera marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
S Smith
S Smith is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Adam Pabwe
Adam Pabwe marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Waleska Torres
Waleska Torres is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • The Big Book of Small Stuff: 100 of the Best Inspirations from Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
  • Christ the Sum of All Spiritual Things
  • Strong's Exhaustive Concordance to the Bible: Updated Version
  • The Bible for Dummies
  • The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light
  • The Diary Of Soren Kierkegaard
  • God without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple?
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran Life Application Study Bible: NIV

“16God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who has faith in him will have eternal life and never really die. 17God did not send his Son into the world to condemn its people. He sent him to save them!” 0 likes