Start by marking “The Bloomswell Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Bloomswell Diaries

The Bloomswell Diaries

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Benjamin Bloomswell is pleased to be staying with his uncle in America while his parents are off on another business trip. Its like a vacation. But when a series of newspaper articles, telephone calls and mysterious disappearances result in his being sent to and having to escape from a sinister orphanage and the criminals who run it, he knows hes somehow got to find a way ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Bloomswell Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloomswell Diaries

Handd51
I picked this out of the new book order because of the steampunk-ish (SP) cover, and was not disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of SP, but I know some kids are. This plot has elements of Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, and the Djinni series - even Roland Smith. Ben Bloomswell is packed off from London to his uncle's in New York for safekeeping as his parents vanish; his sister has already been sent to a Swiss boarding school for the same reasons. Promptly, is uncle is killed and Ben is kidnapped to ...more
Charlotte
Young Ben Bloomswell is used to his parents going off on business of their own; they always come back. But this time is different. This time, they've taken him from England to stay with his uncle in New York, while his sister is sent to a boarding school in Switzerland, part of his parents' plan to keep them safe.

And this time, his parents might not be coming back for him. A newspaper article claims they're dead. His uncle warns him that his parents have made powerful and ruthless enemies--men w
Madigan McGillicuddy
This is a fast-paced action/chase/adventure written with plenty of of boy appeal. There's a bit of mystery as Benjamin Bloomswell is left with his uncle while his parents are on a business trip. Soon, he's shocked to discover that his parents are being reported dead in the newspapers. As he makes his escape from an orphanage in order to reunite with his sister, he's forced to stowaway on a ship headed from New York to Europe.

The story didn't feel as steampunkish as I expected. Except for the rar
Anastasia (Here There Be Books)
Originally reviewed at Here There Be Books.

This is such a cute book. It reminds me a lot of the Pseudonymous Bosch books, A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Mysterious Benedict Society series-- by which I mean it's got great kid protagonists, secret-mysterious things going on, action and adventure, and fun illustrations.

I will say that I do think it fell prey to the "shove as much possible in the first book to make it easier on the subsequent books" syndrome. It started off great! Ben's bro
Juli
Pretty good book. Quick read with an interesting plot. Took me a second start to finish it. Had started it a couple years ago and never finished so had to start again from the beginning. Looking for the continuing story since it ended with a cliffhanger but it's been over 3 years and the author doesn't appear to be announcing another soon. Certainly not by looking at his Twitter feed at least.
Anna Hargett
Not the most exciting of books. The writing was good. Geared for more of a younger audience.
Cindy
This was a book that had a lot of hype and could have been good. But it was really really boring, slow. I really do not like kids books that revolve around treating kids like they are stupid, this boardered on that. There would be very vague references and more than a half of the book revolved around a mystery of something that the author "Couldn't reveal". Now this would have been okay had it not been HALF OF THE BOOK. It got old quickly, and caused boredom.
Bri
A lot of great ideas in this fast-paced adventure, but I wonder perhaps if too much happens in too short a timespan. Some interesting characters--intrigued and also simultaneously terrified of the tinmen.
Carissa
Carissa marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2012
Akoss
Akoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2012
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2011
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 16, 2011
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Miss Pippi the Librarian marked it as to-read
May 11, 2011
Smcence
Smcence marked it as to-read
May 09, 2011
Shuping
Shuping marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2011
Originally from Pretoria, South Africa, Louis L. Buitendag has lived and written all over the world, filling copious journals with story ideas, one liners and sketches. After receiving his acting training in London, he began writing the Bloomswell Diaries in his dressing room amidst costume changes and curtain calls. Louis currently lives in New York City.
More about Louis L. Buitendag...