Start by marking “Are All the Giants Dead?” as Want to Read:
Are All the Giants Dead?

Are All the Giants Dead?

Young James journeys from England to the fairy-tale world of princes and princesses, witches and fairies, giants and giant-killers, and invades the lair of the last giant to free a princess from an evil spell.
Published April 15th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Are All the Giants Dead?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are All the Giants Dead?

Karen
Jul 29, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
When I was looking for Bed-knob and Broomstick to purchase, I came across this title by Mary Norton. The title grabbed my attention, but the illustrator, Brian Froud, made me want to buy the book. Visions of Labyrinth danced through my head -- hello, Goblin King!

So, of course, I bought the book. And read it. And loved it. Are All the Giants Dead? serves a healthy dose of fantasy to the imaginative and brings to life (and ages) many favorite fairy tale characters. For example, Beauty of Beauty an
Kevin
Nov 17, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
A story about stories and fairy tales by a famous author with great illustrations (by Brian Froud)? Yes, please.

I picked up a paperback version at a local library sale for like a dollar. I think the kids calls this “winning.”

Familiar with Norton’s other books but not this volume, I was intrigued from the start. And sucked in by the back of the book blurb, I decided to read it right away not really knowing what to expect. It turned out to be a clever, if simple, story about courage and belief; a
Hannah
Nov 18, 2015 Hannah rated it really liked it
It's one of those endings! This was really sweet. It was a simple little Fairytale, adorable from start to finish.
Mike
Dec 10, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
A very unusual story -- the plot seems intended to appeal to younger kids, but the vocabulary and complicated narrative style are written on more of an adult level: the dialogue between characters is full of ellipses, sometime understated, and very little explanation is offered. I read this to my nine-year-old who generally liked it but was a little confused by the beginning and end.

The story follows James, a boy who is visited by Mildred, a nanny-type figure who takes him on trips to a wonderla
Sus
Jul 01, 2008 Sus rated it really liked it
I was delighted to find out that this book holds up as well on adult re-reading as it did when I was a child. (Although, as they always do, it seems shorter now...)

Mary Norton creates a world of wonderful depth and texture, eerieness and menace, which makes it one of my favorite, classic takes on re-writing the world of fairy tales -- _Fables_ is no whit more complex or engaging. And she slots all the little pieces together in ways tremendously satisfying for a child (and impressively admirable
John
Mar 27, 2016 John rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
VERY STRANGE BOOK! Basically, I read this because of the Froud illustrations - and they are pretty good - but the story is very odd. Its kind of a literary mashup, a bit of a where are they now fairy tale tale, but it falls so flat and has none of the wit nor invention that we have all come to expect since WICKED. Stick to the Borrowers, I guess, if you are going to read Norton.
J.P.
Apr 18, 2012 J.P. rated it liked it
Imagine the heroes and heroines of fairy tales are the same age as your favorite grandparents - lacking those, use the cast of the 80s flicks Cocoon and Batteries Not Including - and you basically have Are All the Giants Dead? wonderfully illustrated by Brian Froud.

With the help of James, a boy who may or may not be dreaming, Jack-the-Giant-Killer and Jack-of-the-Beanstalk bag their 13th giant and Ducibel finds the courage to marry the toad. And we find that not all the witches have fled...they'
Vonnie Crist
Feb 22, 2013 Vonnie Crist rated it it was amazing
I love this book not only for the wonderful fantasy adventure that takes its protag, James, from his bedroom to the world of fairy tales, but for the fabulous early drawings of Brian Froud. Yes, I know it's from 1975, but for those who loved Mary Norton's "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" and "Borrowers" adventures, and those who marvel at Brian Froud's amazing illos (like me)- it's a true "find." By the way, it was written while the author lived in County Cork, Ireland - which perhaps explains its f ...more
Lila Brantley
May 12, 2011 Lila Brantley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids, kids at heart, and folks who just like a happy story every now and then.
Recommended to Lila by: randomly found it browsing books online.
I was originally interested in this book because of the illustrations by Brian Froud. I’d never even heard of the author. I was expecting a child’s picture book, but received a chapter book with wonderful illustrations tucked inside. Imagine having your own adventure with all of your favorite fairy tale characters. What fun! A marvelous surprise is that Mary Norton is the author of Bedknob and Broomstick and the Borrowers. I’m ashamed to say that I’ve never heard of her until after this book.
Leah
Feb 26, 2007 Leah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Gregory Maguire
Shelves: fiction
A really wonderful book! A new take on the children's fairytales we were all told. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty are middle-aged gossips, Belle's husband, the Beast, spends his days hunting dragon and unicorn while Jack-the-Giant-Killer and Jack-of-the-Beanstalk while away their retirement telling yarns about slaying the last of the giants.
This book is superbly illustrated by one of my favorites, Brian Froud.
Audrey Terry
Jul 25, 2014 Audrey Terry rated it it was amazing
This book was a lot of fun to read. I originally picked it up for Froud's illustrations but quickly fell in love with Norton's way of writing. This was a new take on a fairytale world, and I really enjoyed it. I was also surprised to discover Norton is the author of The bedknob and broomstick.... which I'll definitely be reading soon :)
Jaimie
Mar 20, 2013 Jaimie rated it really liked it
I only picked up this book because Brian Froud is the illustrator, but it was actually quite a good read. Norton is actually the author of such classic children's stories as The Borrowers, so I was glad to be reading another one of her carefully crafted, but light-hearted, tales.
Chronographia
Short, sweet, a bit of a charmer. And I do, admittedly, adore Froud's early illustration work with pen and ink and hundreds of tiny lines.
Tina
Jul 18, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it
I really liked this story, it is unique and brings other fairy-tales into the book, truly a forgotten classic.
Judy
Jun 20, 2010 Judy rated it really liked it
A quick read for adults. Delightful new twist on a fairy tale story. Love Brian Froud's illustrations.
Lauren
Apr 26, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
A cute book but it could have been a little longer, maybe. Or had a sequel?
Melissa
Apr 03, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book as a kid. It was such a wonderfully creative book.
Jonathan
Aug 30, 2013 Jonathan rated it really liked it
pretty delightful little book. nice spin on some classic fairy tales.
Everett Ambrose Warren
Jul 10, 2012 Everett Ambrose Warren rated it it was amazing
A fun fairy tale about faerie tales, with beautiful Froudian art.
Leslie
Jul 28, 2010 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Another one of my childhood favorites!
MB (What she read)
Love, love, LOVE this book!
Joe Hull
Joe Hull rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Theodosia
Theodosia marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Ruby Rose
Ruby Rose rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Lauralee
Lauralee rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Everett Afterton
Everett Afterton marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Katey Thompson
Katey Thompson marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Olga
Olga rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
  • The Goblin Companion
  • Strange Stains and Mysterious Smells: Based on Quentin Cottington's Journal of Faery Research
  • Fair Peril
  • The Winter Child
  • Faery in Shadow
  • Smith
  • The Wind Boy
  • Tatsinda
  • Dove Isabeau
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • The Lonely Lake Monster (The Imaginary Veterinary, #2)
  • Delilah Dusticle and the Cursed Tempest
  • The Starplace
  • Is This "One of Those Days," Daddy? (For Better or For Worse, #2)
  • The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode (The Alley, #2)
Mary Norton (née Pearson) was an English children's author. She was the daughter of a physician, and was raised in a Georgian house at the end of the High Street in Leighton Buzzard. The house now consists of part of Leighton Middle School, known within the school as The Old House, and was reportedly the setting of her novel The Borrowers. She married Robert C. Norton in 1927 and had four children ...more
More about Mary Norton...