Start by marking “The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)

The Exile and the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The quest for the stolen chalice is a sham - her family's excuse to get rid of Tevi. Exiled in a dangerous and confusing world filled with monsters, bandits, and sorcerers, Tevi battles demons within and without as she searches for her place in the strange new world.

Jemeryl has her future planned out - a future that will involve minimal contact with ordinary folk who do no
Published February 15th 2006 by Bold Strokes Books, Inc (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Exile and the Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exile and the Sorcerer

Elizabeth
Excuse me, Ms. Fletcher. I, um. I can see your agenda. Yeah, it's kind of ...showing. A lot.

The pacing in this is wildly off, Fletcher's issue-related needs force her to warp her characters into total morons, and she provides little to no framework for her central emotional premise.

I cannot *believe* my club used revenue funds to purchase this. Queer-content-inclusion-effort fail.

If you're looking for a fantasy world with lesbians, go for Ash.
Bellish
Tevi is exiled from a society very different to our own and finds herself in another society, equally different from our own and from the one she has come from. Unfortunately, Fletcher does far too much telling, with characters explaining how their respective societies work, and not enough showing. The result is a novel that raises some interesting questions about gender, sexuality and society and doesn't take them anywhere at all.

There are some interesting concepts in here that I would like to
Saachi
For a fantasy novel, it's surprisingly undeveloped in terms of setting. The cultural setting of the story is supposed to be unique (a matriarchal society!) but it was so flimsily constructed that I couldn't feel it at all. It just felt like distant, far off fantasy musings. The authorial voice was virtually non existent; perhaps this book would have made more sense if a first person narrative had been used, alternated between Tevi and Jemeryl.

As for the plot, I have only one word to describe it
Noah Soudrette
The story concerns a young woman named Tevi who hails from a Viking-esque culture except it's matriarchal, due to a strange enchantment years ago giving the women much more strength than the men. Tevi's in line to rule one day, but her inability to fight and her lack of interest in men gets her exiled from her people. She spends most of the book wandering around the mainland, meeting new people and having her horizons expanded. Eventually she meets Jemeryl, a sorcerer who has fallen into disrepu ...more
N. N.
So there's a mix of good and bad here. Fletcher introduces interesting fantasy themes which allow us to examine our world from another light (if women were physically stronger than men, would we see a reversal of sexist oppression? If we lived in a society where the most valued human attributes were not heredity, would nepotism die out?). However, her story has such poor pacing, my attention span frequently wandered. I stuck with it because after long lapses of meandering world-building, she usu ...more
Megan
I love Jane Fletcher's Celaeno series but I will admit that the first time I read this one (years ago) I didn't love it. That being said, on my re-read I had a greater appreciation for the characters, world building and the slower unfolding of the story. I think my original reservation was that almost the first two thirds of the book focus on Tevi as she is exiled from her home and finding her way on the mainland and within the Protectorate. She doesn't meet Jem until well into the book, which l ...more
Lisa Alba
Its a good book tho I was expecting more from it
Elaine Burnes
Warrior/outcast Tevi meets Sorcerer Jemeryl and they head off on a quest to find a chalice important to both women, though neither likely knows how much. The first half dragged and dragged through Tevi's background. It really picks up once she meets Jem, and then all that background kind of pays off (the bit with the eyesight was terrific). Klara, the magpie (oddly depicted as a crow on the cover) familiar of Jem's steals the show. I can't decide if I'll stick with the rest of the books.
D.
In my opinion, it was a good story, filled with travels and fighting. Of course, the travelling went a little faster and the fights were kind of short too. Still, it was interesting and it was filled with suspense. Unlike the Celaeno series, in some parts, same-sex relationships are discriminated, but not enough. The romance was good, but I hoped there was more on it. For me in overall, it was a good story and worth reading.
Kylie
I picked this up from the library out of sheer amazement that it was sitting on the shelf at all - I knew that the publishers specialised in lesbian fiction, and was suprised to see our library system have something reasonably niche.

This might not be the most original fantasy novel, but it is well written with sympathetic and likeable characters, and makes for an entertaining read.
Kin
Excellent worldbuilding as it delves into the anthropological effects that magic would have on power structures and cultures, even isolated cultures. The main character is someone you can't help but root for, and rage in secondhand embarrassment at her misfortune. I'm eager to delve into the rest of the series, especially if the books stay with this character.
Robert
Yes, it is also a romance, and a good one at that. However, unlike so many other romances of this genre, it has a wonderful story. The characters have depth, the world is rich, and the story (and romance) are given plenty of time to develop. I've now read half the books the author has written and I've enjoyed every one.
Kate
This book was really terrible. There were moments when I thought things were picking up but just when the author hit a groove it would collapse again. I might try the second in the series just to see if the author improves her craft with practice.
Cheri
I very much enjoyed getting to know Tevi and Jemeryl and absolutely look forward to reading the second book in the series.

My review is located at www.lezficrev.blogspot.com
JoyfulK
This is the first in a series of four. I didn't read them in order, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying this one when I finally got hold of it! Good fantasy.
Jimmy Hanson
A fantastic read, but heavier and more detailed than what I have time for right now. Will DEFINITELY come back to it soon.
Bogdina
Kind of ridiculous, but I still got the sequel from Amazon when I couldn't get it from the library.
Binky Bowberg
One of my favorite series of all time - strong female protagonists.
Amanda
The premise is awesome - the book, however, falls flat.
Megan
I own and have read the whole series and it was awesome!
Ulla
Calaeno and Lyremouth series are both great!
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jill
Jill added it
Jan 24, 2015
V3rity
V3rity marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jeff Hitchcock
Jeff Hitchcock marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
  • Broken Wings
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • The Clinic (Tristaine, #1)
  • A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
  • Shadows of Aggar (The Amazons of Aggar)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Protector of the Realm (Supreme Constellations, #1)
  • A Pirate's Heart
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
  • Bending the Landscape: Fantasy
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
Jane Fletcher is a GCLS award-winning writer and has also been short-listed for the Gaylactic Spectrum and Lambda Literary awards. She is author of two ongoing sets of fantasy/romance novels: the Celaeno series—The Walls of Westernfort, Rangers at Roadsend, The Temple at Landfall, Dynasty of Rogues, and Shadow of the Knife; and the Lyremouth Chronicles—The Exile and The Sorcerer, The Traitor and T ...more
More about Jane Fletcher...

Lyremouth Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Traitor And the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)
  • The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)
The Temple at Landfall (Celaeno, #1) The Traitor And the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2) Rangers at Roadsend (Celaeno, #3) The Walls of Westernfort (Celaeno, #2) The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)