Start by marking “Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition” as Want to Read:
Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition

Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition is a Java programmer's dream come true in one small package. The heart of this Deluxe Edition is the Java Reference Library on CD-ROM, which brings together five volumes for Java developers and programmers, linking related info across books. It includes: Exploring Java, 2nd Edition, Java Language Reference, 2nd Edition, Java Fundamental C ...more
Published June 8th 1997 by O'Reilly Media (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java in a Nutshell, Deluxe Edition

Rob
I know what you're thinking... "Why did you read the 4th edition in 2010? It only covers up to Java 1.4 - and it was published 8 years ago." My answer? "It was what my library had. And it covered what I needed to learn."

I suppose I should have known better, considering the O'Reilly "Nutshell" format. A couple hundred pages of "nutshell" overview material to digest some high-level concepts -- but you're wading through generic code samples. Then several hundred more pages of what is basically an i
Anton Antonov
A must-read to keep up with the ever growing JDK. The latest (6th) edition addresses Java 7 and 8.
I enjoyed learning more about lambda expressions, NIO, Async I/O and Meta-programming (Classloading and Reflection).
Michael Durrow
O'reilly's best book for Java 101 and a great reference book to keep.
Steven Raspudic
Covers all major areas of modern Java

This really is a proper Nutshell book. There's absolutely no filler, just all the core elements of Java ( up to java8) explained clearly and succinctly. Great for anyone coming to Java from another language or for a Java programmer that needs to get caught up on what Java is all about today.
Burak Dede
Nicely done. Author gives the balance between too much boring detail and skimming the surface. Book updated with newest featues like stream api, nashorn engine, diamond, method handles and all other java7/8 features. Not a great way to learn generics and collections topic especially with lambdas/streams, book did not do a great job on those topics.
Nick Black
It's hard to meaningfully evaluate a book about Java 1.1 in 2008. This book was certainly at my side throughout CS 1502 (Introduction to Programming), and I imagine newer editions are similarly strong. Then again, there's really no need for this book, given the great Sun documentation.
Jack Repenning
Like all the O'Reilly Nutshell books, this is clear, helpful, and human. It's not a take-you-by-the-hand tutorial, but it's tutorial enough if you've already mastered a language or two, and it'll be well worth keeping on your shelf after you're trained and effective.
Jacob
The first third of the book is a pleasantly terse primer on the language and some of the more common platform features, including a section on the features that were new to Java 5. The rest is an API reference which mainly serves to keep the book heavy and expensive.
Qubitng
Having a background in C and C++, I foolishly tried to learn Java with this book. It is pretty much unusable as a Java text. And the reference in the back is unnecessary even back then because the javadoc was available online.
Spencer
The inclusion of the reference in the final section is idiotic. That reference is more easily found online and can be kept up to date easily.

I can find no problems with the rest. It does exactly what a nutshell book should do.
Knute Snortum
A good mid-level overview of the Java language. I haven't read the summaries on the core libraries yet, but that would be the only reason to read the reference area. The rest you can get, more updated, off the web.
Tom
Good reference but I don't use it so much because most of the time it is more convenient to use the Java API reference on the net.
Yuki
Sep 04, 2007 Yuki rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: learn more java
this was a text to my first java class, I don't think it's the best book for beginners... it also was not my style of book... but helpful.
Alistair Warner
Just one of those standard references that I can't really do without. I find myself comning back to it time and time again.
Fatma Hassan
i learnt java from this book , fifth edition..covers main aspects cleverly , i strongly recommend it for beginners
Nivas
Good book for someone looking for details on Java programming methods. Used as an additional textbook.
Joe Martin
Apr 17, 2010 Joe Martin marked it as reference  ·  review of another edition
Java in a Nutshell (The Java Series) by David Flanagan (1997)
Shawn
Pretty helpful, but it's been a long time since I programmed.
Christian Pedersen
Too much reference documentation occupying most of the book
Otis Chandler
How I learned Java - my first language after college.
Nancy
still reading
Roland Askew
Roland Askew marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
  • TCP/IP Network Administration
  • Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications
  • DNS and BIND
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • UNIX in a Nutshell: System V Edition: A Desktop Quick Reference for System V Release 4 and Solaris 2.0
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • CSS: The Definitive Guide
  • Linux in a Nutshell

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
JavaScript: The Definitive Guide The Ruby Programming Language jQuery Pocket Reference JavaScript Pocket Reference Java Examples in a Nutshell: A Companion Volume to Java in a Nutshell