Start by marking “The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,312 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
pubOne.info present you this new edition. I find it recorded in my notebook that it was a bleak and windy day towards the end of March in the year 1892. Holmes had received a telegram while we sat at our lunch, and he had scribbled a reply. He made no remark, but the matter remained in his thoughts, for he stood in front of the fire afterwards with a thoughtful face, smoki ...more
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge

Jason Parent
May 05, 2016 Jason Parent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have gone through 40 hours plus of Holmes, I've learned that "elementary" is not even close to one of the most used words. In fact, it was used maybe three times that I've noticed. "Singular," on the other hand, is not a very singular word.
Abi_88
Oct 11, 2011 Abi_88 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I didn't rate it five stars is because I did not like some of the themes presented in this story. Some of the description used for the mulatto servant seemed very racist but I also understand that the author belonged to a different era. However, the story was still as interesting as any other of Doyle's stories.
Lisa Ahronian
Aug 19, 2012 Lisa Ahronian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first experience with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I was not accustomed to his writing style, which meant I had to re-read certain passages to fully get their meaning, but over all an enjoyable short story.
Roberto Mattos
Jan 06, 2015 Roberto Mattos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this short story, Holmes is visited by a perturbed proper English gentleman, John Scott Eccles, who wishes to discuss something “grotesque”. No sooner has he arrived at 221B Baker Street than Inspector Gregson also shows up, along with Inspector Baynes of the Surrey Constabulary. They wish a statement from Eccles about the murder near Esher last night. A note in the dead man’s pocket indicates that Eccles said that he would be at the victim’s house that night.
Eccles is shocked to hear of Aloy
Alvina
Jul 12, 2012 Alvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Buku ini berisikan tiga cerita pendek tentang kasus-kasus Sherlock Holmes, di cerita pertama ada ‘Hilangnya Lady Frances Arfax’, yang mengisahkan hilangnya seorang wanita berusia 40an yang gemar melakukan petualangan di seluruh dunia dari hotel satu ke hotel yang lain. Lady Frances setiap dua minggu sekali mengirimkan surat kepada pengasuhnya di Inggris, tetapi sudah lima minggu terakhir tidak ada surat yang datang darinya. Nn. Dobney, pengasuh Sang Lady, sangat khawatir akan keselamatan wanita
Muhajjah Saratini
Buku ini berisi tiga cerita.
1. Karamnya Kapal Gloria Scott
Awal membaca cerita ini kok rasanya belum pernah saya baca sebelumnya? Padahal saya sudah membaca semua buku sherlock terbitan Gramedia. Tapi setelah selesai, saya jadi ingat lagi... *apalah.. --..--

2. Misteri di Wisma Wisteria
Kalau cerita ini saya ingat. Karena petualanggan John Scott Eccles itu memang janggal. Dan berhasil membuat saya penasaran..

3. Silver Blaze
Aih, ini favorit. Saya masih ingat dan terharu setelah tahu kenyataannya...

T
JayeL
Dec 03, 2010 JayeL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, kindle
Skye Gwynn
Apr 04, 2012 Skye Gwynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Lovers
What can I possibly say about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his incredibly famous creation, Sherlock Holmes? I don’t know what I was thinking by not reading any of these novels and short stories for the first twenty-four-years of my life, but I have now (at least somewhat) amended this grievous error.

To read the rest of my review, please visit my book blog:

Somdutta
Oct 22, 2010 Somdutta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arthur Conan Doyle fans
Shelves: readprint-com
Another of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's marvelous mystery stories.At the outset , the plot seemed to be quite complex but as it unraveled through Holmes's intelligent scheme of deduction by gaining evidence, things fell into place. A fresh thing which I found in this story was , a character who did in a way match up to the ways to deduction and reasoning to solve a crime like Holmes.The character was Inspector Baynes. He seems to have quite a bright future in his field.
Collin A.
Dec 13, 2013 Collin A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from the occasional racially-tinged passage, The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge is easily one if the best Holmes stories above read. What truly establishes this story as a testament to Doyle's writing is the amount of characterization and story pacing that compose this story. The plot flowed a a fantastic pace with plenty of developments to spice things up while the many characters involved in the affair all bristled with individuality and played a role in the story. A fantastic read!
Abbey
Feb 10, 2014 Abbey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, mystery
Not my favourite Sherlock Holmes adventure by a while, but still a good read. I always feel that Holmes is not particularly likable, though also not easy to dislike - he just is. This is one of the books where that comes across for me, although of course Watson is his likeable self. A nice short mystery with a satisfactory ending, the Inspector was great too!
Rao Javed
Dec 03, 2015 Rao Javed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
in spite of all my fondness towards Sherlock, only this part was unable to amuse or appeal me. Perhaps is my mistake that I use to fell a sleep while reading it, which left a bit of details vague for me still it was fine mystery. Which fine end.
Ashish Seth
Oct 11, 2014 Ashish Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Doyle gives very unrelated clues. Then in the other half he give a simple cause of crime. But as always the story was gripping and intense. He managed such complexity without the use of forensics and technology which is quite appreciable.
Gustavo S.
Not as thrilling as other sherlock Holmes, sometimes I felt a bit bored with the development of the whole situation, there are a few surprises and still a very well written novel. Just did not find it as interesting as other novels by the author. but still a great read.
Aviva
Jan 27, 2012 Aviva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently I don't like Sherlock HOlmes as much as I once did. But still a nice break from more serious classics I've got going.
Traci Brown
Feb 18, 2014 Traci Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic

Classic and timeless. May Mr. Holmes live forever in our hearts as the greatest detective and friend of all time.
Justaskibum
While I have access am reading all that I can of Arthur Conan Doyle, I was surprised to find some books I had not read, thanks to Project Gutenberg am reading more of his words.
Lidya Amalia Rahmania
Triknya agak bisa ditebak untuk cerita yang pertama, tapi cerita yang ketiga lumayan bikin penasaran. So far so good.
Stefanie St. John
Short but fun read

Short enjoyable story. Fun to read as Holmes pits his skills against the local constabulary to solve a "grotesque" crime.
Lori Henrich
Dec 19, 2011 Lori Henrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Sherlock Holmes and this was a quick read.

Holmes receives a telegram from someone seeking his help. The man shows up at his home and as Watson would say "The game was a foot".
Niklas Pivic
Despite being very racist and anti-feministic here, it's an interesting tale, well-written but in my eyes quite dull considering the rest of the Canon.
Michelle
Jan 03, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A quick read, and a good one. Some racist references to skip past, mar an otherwise delightfully twisting, turning story.
Anastasiya
Anastasiya rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2012
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2009
Malu Jayachandran
Malu Jayachandran rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2012
john bruce
john bruce rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2014
Shayan Raghavjee
Shayan Raghavjee rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Dave Newsom
Dave Newsom rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
  • Tales From The Dark: Kumpulan Cerpen
  • Duit Lebaran (Lupus Kecil, #6)
  • The Great Detective: The Amazing Rise and Immortal Life of Sherlock Holmes
  • Selama Kita Tersesat di Luar Angkasa: Kumpulan Cerita Absurd
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes Short Stories
  • Orang-Orang Tanah
  • Death from the Woods
  • Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Snapdragon Alley
  • The Sherlock Holmes Book
  • Gaslight Grotesque: Nightmare Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Library of the World's Best Mystery and Detective Stories - French, Spanish, Italian, Latin Stories
  • The Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries: Whose Body?, Clouds of Witness, and Unnatural Death
  • Now You Die
  • Sudden Death
  • The Babylonian Legends of Creation and the Fight Between Bel and the Dragon
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...