Start by marking “A Boy and His Bot” as Want to Read:
A Boy and His Bot

A Boy and His Bot

When young Code falls down a hole while following a mysterious robotic insect, he lands in a world that defies all imagination. Everything in Mekhos is made from metal and circuitry, including the citizens-who happen to be robots. To find his way home, Code must first cross Mekhos's bizarre and dangerous landscape to reach the Beam Stalk. There, an artifact known as the Ro ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about A Boy and His Bot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy and His Bot

Trina
Apr 13, 2015 Trina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like this book. The author seemed to forget he was writing about "a completely unnatural"/"man made" world half the time.

Also, page 13. Peep, supposedly urging Code out of the cave, flashes blue, then gold. Then all of a sudden Code knows exactly what the color changes mean!

----"The bee purred and flashed to a bluish color, then quickly turned back to gold. Code was starting to figure out his new companion: blue meant sad and gold meant happy."----

Now, he has had very little time
Tom
Mar 24, 2014 Tom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Listened in the car on audiobook with my family. If I was reading it on my own, I'd never have gotten through it. I know people who know Daniel Wilson, so I wanted to give this a try, even though it didn't look my style. Yeah, even worse than I thought. It was like a mix of The Wizard of Oz, Labyrinth, The Neverending Story, and things like that. But I like those, and I disliked this. It just didn't work for me at all.

Nothing really offensive here. Since Wilson actually knows robotics (PhD and a
Lara Patterson
I wanted (and expected) to greatly enjoy this book, but it ended up being a huge disappointment. I would be tempted to blame the narration of the audio book (certain character voices were quite annoying), but my main frustration was with the book's conflicted logic, stereotyped characters, and preachy "kid lessons." I think the author was trying too hard to write a "kid" book, instead of focusing on writing a good story that all readers would enjoy. If you want to read something lighter by an es ...more
Ruth
Jun 24, 2014 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 9yr old boy really enjoyed this book so I had to read it. Lol. For me it was a little harder to get into the story. I kept getting lost as to what was going on, maybe cause I'm not into robots But about 3/4 of the way I quickly read through to the end. I was really surprised at the ending. An ending that was totally unexpected yet enjoyable. I do like how his self esteem improved and bully's couldn't bother him any more. A great book to help a child with their self esteem.

Teaching/ conversat
Marcel Kupka
May 07, 2012 Marcel Kupka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vyjádřím se ukázkou. A ano, vidím v tom Alenku v říši divů... hlavně tu "steampunkovou", kterou natočil Tim Burton:)

Teď se už začal opravdu bát. Nejenže se ocitl sám v podivném nehybném lese plném robotických zvířat – ale teď ještě ke všemu tohle – kovová stěna složená z nohou pádících jako o závod. Od zářící překážky se zvedal vítr, který mu cuchal vlasy. Musím tu zeď nějak překonat, pomyslel si. Pískla jediná zřejmě zná cestu. Najdu ji a pak se odtud dostanu, slíbil si. Zpátky nahoru na pahore
Seth Heasley
Daniel H. Wilson's first foray into juvenile fiction is full of whimsy and charm and comes with one of the more delightful characters you'd ever want to read: Gary the Atomic Slaughterbot. Just check out this encounter between Code Lightfall and the threatening Gary as Code realizes that he can order the bot around:

"Wait. You're my atomic slaughterbot?"
Gary paused. "That's right. And who are you?"
"I'm Code, and I need to ask you for a favor."
"Anything for you, Code." Gary waited for Code's c
Charli
Dec 21, 2014 Charli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review, audio
SLJ review:

Gr 4–7—Daniel H. Wilson's fast-paced tale (Bloomsbury, 2011) is about traditional values, friendship, and hope. Young Code Lightfall, a bullied loner whose grandfather went missing a year ago, is an unlikely hero. He discovers his inner mettle during a field trip when he follows a small robotic insect, Peep, through a hole in the ground and into the land of Mekhos, a robot world. Once there, parallels to the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland are clearly d
The Styling Librarian
A Boy and His Bot by Daniel H. Wilson – 4/5th grade and up – Science Fiction – I listened to this book because it recently popped up on a review list. I enjoyed actually listening to a solid science fiction book that had a fascinating robot/technology world and an interesting adventure. I loved the angst and decisions that Code has to grapple with throughout the adventure. I was curious how this book would conclude because the author kept you listening/reading until the last moment and then fini ...more
Mike
Nov 30, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kód Světoplát jede se školou na exkurzi. Všechno jde jak má dokud neobjeví "včeličku," která ho odvede do jiného světa zvaného Mechos. Jediným způsobem jak se může dostat zpátky domů je najít předmět jménem Robonomicon dříve než krutý vládce Mechosu.
Jeff Raymond
YA book by the scientific mastermind Daniel H Wilson, possibly best known for his book Where's My Jetpack? This was an interesting, differently-styled read about a boy who follows a small...something into a hole and ends up in a robot universe where his grandfather disappeared to and where an evil robot, Immortalis, is looking to begin the "Disassembly" and end the world that they're in.

It's a humorous sci-fi adventure, with a lot more action in the story than I had expected. Far from perfect,
Matt
I can never understand why some books click children and the greater reading community at large and others do not. This one is a little on the complex side and may be hard to follow for some children, but the same can be said for most of the Harry Potter series.

Anyway, the main character, Code, gets transported to a robot wonderland when checking out an Indian burial mound on a school field trip. His granfather had disappeared there years earlier and finds that he too has become a prisoner of th
Mary
Aug 22, 2015 Mary is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
چه جوری باید کتابو دریافت کنم؟؟؟؟
Edward ott
a good book for younger readers.
Steven
Jan 24, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, ebook
pretty good kids book about a boy and his robot.
fast read.
Kay Leslie
Not my kind of book but I could see where a 4th or 5th grader really into robots would love this book. But it is a well written story with a very interesting ending.
Code Lightfall goes on a field trip to the ancient mounds in Oklahoma. There is finds the entrance to the world of Mekkos, which is completely made up of robots. He travels through this world on an adventure to help save the robots from "disassembling".
Jessica
Sep 18, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a highly unusual book, with shades of WALL-E, HITCHHIKERS' GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, Asimov's robot stories, all mixed together with strong doses of humor and adventure. I read it aloud to my six-year-old, who was probably a bit young for it, but who loves robots and thoroughly enjoyed the book. I know that he'll get a bigger kick out of it, reading it for himself in a couple of years.
Rebecca
May 13, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
This book is hilarious. It's kind of like Stone Soup because you can find a little bit of everything in the book! So far I've figured out that it is made up of Peter Pan (tinkerbell), Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars (the Jawas robot factory), Percy Jackson, Jack and the Beanstalk, Amlia Earhart's Electra airplane, and Star Trek (Nomad episode).
Stacy
Started slow for me (typical grandpa-goes-missing-and-misfit-kid-goes-looking-for-him-only-to-fall-into-secret-magical-world-that-only-he-can-save storyline), but gradually picked up steam and finished strongly. I really loved Gary, whom I can only describe as a cuddly slaughterbot, if there is such a thing. Solid sci-fi recommendation for grades 4 and up.
Matt
Apr 17, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little story about a boy who is transported to an alternate world of robots. I liked the main characters Code, Peep, and Gary the slaughterbot. A Boy and His Bot is a nice adventure story with some fun scenes. I enjoyed reading it and wouldn't mind seeing Code Lightfall some more in the future.

Good book.
Kaulin
Nov 17, 2013 Kaulin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was very well written from cover to cover. It was very action packed & didn't loose my interest in any part of the book. It was very well constructed, it was very organized. I just really liked it! It was the perfect length too.
Matt Piechocinski
I had high hopes for this, but even if I were the age group at which it was aimed, I would think this outing by Wilson kinda lame. Definitely start out with Robopocalypse or Amped ... especially the latter.
Laurie
Listened to this with my boys. They loved it. My oldest (3rd grader) said he would happily re-read this.
It was cute. Sometimes I thought the descriptions got to be a bit much.
Mallory
Jun 10, 2015 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I probably would have enjoyed it more if Code had been a girl, or if there had been any major female characters in the book at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Great for 3rd-5th grade boys that loved to play with Transformers when they were younger and/or are really into technology.
Mary
Apr 07, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good science fiction for a younger reader. I actually listened to this book and the narrator made it even better.
Beth O'Connell
Kids might like this, as it's really straightforward and there are lots of adventures. I found the writing kind of wooden.
Rodrigo Castillo
some parts of this book make happy and others sad but i love the happy ending.
my children love this book too.
Tressa
A Boy and His Bot didn't interest me even though the narration was quite good.
Brad Kelln
Kind of fun but more like a little kid book.
Jonathan
Nov 28, 2012 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think the story is nice from code
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • The Island of Thieves (Tom Trelawney #1)
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Kaput and Zosky
  • Computer One
  • The Resisters (The Resisters, #1)
  • The Door in the Forest
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Snake and Lizard
  • The Runaway Robot
  • Travellers' Rest (Morlock Ambosius, #0.5)
  • Body Politic
  • The Mopwater Files (Hank the Cowdog, #28)
  • Doctor Who: Heart of Stone / Death Riders
  • McDuff Saves the Day
  • How Many Ways Can You Catch a Fly?
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • Behind the Bookcase
Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives and writes in Portland, Oregon.
More about Daniel H. Wilson...