Start by marking “Michelle Obama: An American Story” as Want to Read:
Michelle Obama: An American Story

Michelle Obama: An American Story

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Michelle Obama grew up on Chicago's South Side, and while the world outside her door was chaotic and ever-changing, her family provided a stable environment in which she could grow and flourish. This look at Michelle Obama's life and the turning points that shaped her shows how a girl from a working class background could rise to become one of the most influential women of ...more
Published January 20th 2009 by Hmh Books for Young Readers (first published December 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Michelle Obama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Michelle Obama

Alyssa
Jun 13, 2011 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an ok book, describing how Michele came to be the first lady and also delving into her ancestry a little. Some typos bothered me a little, but it wasn't terrible. Ok book overall. It will teach you a little trivia about the first lady.
Noemi
Mar 07, 2016 Noemi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It is filled with information about Michelle. Loved how it started and the chapters are so interesting! The author was very good at explaining her life. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy biographies, first ladies, and learning about Michelle Obama.
Chelseaf
Dec 21, 2012 Chelseaf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great story about overcoming struggles. Michelle grew up in Chicago. Her dad died when she was young. Her good grades got her into great collages. This led her to be the first African-American first lady of America and an inspiration to a lot of people. This book was a very insteresting story about Michelle Obabma. This book is kind of long and confusing at times. This is a good example of a biography. This would be a good book for high school or collage students who are thinking ...more
Tanja
Jun 21, 2012 Tanja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chn-biography
Very informative biography about America's current First Lady. Definitely a very interesting woman to learn about but I found the style of the book not very engaging and wonder whether younger readers' attention can be kept up to the end. A real pity...
Ana
Jun 06, 2014 Ana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book a seven because as a kid it's not fun to read but it's very interesting. Recommend this book to people who will love Michelle Obama and who also love reading reading autobiographies and books about someone's life. This book was about Michelle Obama's life experiences the life challenges and how she got to being the first lady and being a great mom a great first lady and a great person to encourage kids to eat healthy exercise and do good in school.
Crystal
I liked this biography because it didn't just list up the events of Michelle Obama's life, but pointed out the recurring themes of her life as well. The only bad thing is that it was published in 2009, so it only takes us up to the election.
Anne
Sep 16, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was too short. But had great information

It is a good start to learning about the First Lady.
Susan Kosel
Mar 21, 2016 Susan Kosel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good children's book about the first lady
Ginger
Mar 19, 2009 Ginger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, interesting narrative of Michelle obm's life, thankfully concentrating on her and bring in her husband only where the intersection was most relevant. Gently covers the harder issues, like the racism she faced at Princeton,making it palatable to a child audience (late elementary, middle school, I would guess is the target).
On the whole an enjoyaable read, and learned a lot I didn't know.
Roberta
Mar 11, 2009 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the Obamas.
Recommended to Roberta by: Win Bundy at Singing Wind Bookshop in Benson, AZ.
This was a quick read. I really admire Michelle and we share a birthday. She is a typical Capricorn, very organized and responsible. Her father had multiple sclerosis as do I and I was curious how it affected Michelle. I seem to be star-struck by the Obamas. Maybe that will wear off over time, but hasn't happened yet.
V
Sep 18, 2013 V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reports, 2013
This quick look into our First Lady's life and ancestry gives middle-grade readers a solid understanding of a prominent American figure. While at times adopting a condescending tone that may be unappreciated by sixth graders, this light but engaging book will intrigue and inspire 10-12 year olds.
Evelyn
I actually read Michelle, An Unauthorized Biography. Can't remember the author. I learned a little about the first lady but not enough. The book was too generic and didn't have enough depth for me.
Short, to the point biography of the first lady. The writting is simplicistic. This was an accidental download, and I think it was written for schools. I would still read it again.
Anastasia
Jan 27, 2009 Anastasia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
According to my library, this is a children's book! Maybe we just have to wait longer for a well-written, solid, adult level biography of Ms. Obama to get written.
Debra
Jul 29, 2012 Debra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tis book was fine as a basic introduction to Mrs. Obama as I learned about her roots and activism, both of which were not known to me.
Karen
I learned a lot about our new First Lady from this YA book but it seemed to be hastily written and there were some gaps. Still enjoyable.
Adrien
I learned more about Michelle Obama, her family, and her family history dating back to great grandparents.
Pat
Dec 29, 2010 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and clearly written for probably teenagers. Good overview of her life and personality
Alanna
it was pretty interesting to find out that her childhood was not a happy fairy tale
Michelle
An interesting book about an interesting lady..informational but a little slow to read..
Mollie
Dec 12, 2012 Mollie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay-ish.... I gave it a try, but ended up leaving it...
Erin
We only read the 1st part, but, she is a super interesting lady.
Larry Watson
Mar 02, 2013 Larry Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: larry-w
This tells the story of a very remarkable woman told in book form.
Jane
Jan 20, 2013 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I expected a true "love in" if you're an Obama fan you'll it
Grandma
Good bio overview of her history and the campaign.
Alexandra
Too simply written; but nonetheless inspiring.
Savannah Harriott
Savannah Harriott marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Emery
Emery marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Josie Hummert
Josie Hummert marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Lynda Hathorn
Lynda Hathorn rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Throwing Strikes: My Quest for Truth and the Perfect Knuckleball
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. (DK Biography)
  • Yes We Can: A Biography of Barack Obama
  • Albert Einstein
  • First You Have to Row a Little Boat: Reflections on Life & Living
  • My Remarkable Journey
  • Michelle Obama: In Her Own Words
  • Missing on Superstition Mountain (Missing on Superstition Mountain, #1)
  • The Discovery of Jeanne Baret: A Story of Science, the High Seas, and the First Woman to Circumnavigate the Globe
  • The Faith of Barack Obama
  • Living Downstream: A Scientist's Personal Investigation of Cancer and the Environment