It Started With A Kiss...

It Started With A Kiss...

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,598 ratings  ·  145 reviews
From the author that gave you the Sunday Times top 10 selling title, Fairytale of New York, join our heroine Romilly as she discovers how far she will go to find the man of her dreams. What would you do to find the one that got away? As the singer in a wedding band, Romily Parker has seen her fair share of happy endings, even though her own love life isn't quite as simple....more
Published November 10th 2011 by Avon (first published 2011)

Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha AshleyThe Night Before Christmas by Scarlett BaileyIt Started With A Kiss... by Miranda DickinsonMiracle on Regent Street by Ali HarrisFairytale of New York by Miranda Dickinson
Christmas Chick Lit
3rd out of 115 books — 207 voters
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
Have You Read This Chick-lit?
121st out of 679 books — 644 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Hewitt
I picked this book up in the supermarket and was really looking forward to a light, fun read. The writing was generally easy and competent, and the premise was great. However I didn't feel like anything actually happened, besides the band members playing a ton of similar wedding gigs. The book goes through a whole year, and I've read several books recently that follow this plot device, and at times it really feels like a laundry list or a girl's diary. Mention of the weather, a quick run-through...more
Agi
Nov 01, 2012 Agi rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Oh my, somewhere between 1 and 2 stars.
I have read so many good reviews that I have thought I will give this book a go.
And so I did.
Unfortunately, this book didn't work for me. At all. I was reading, reading and reading and turning the pages I had a feeling of deja vu: it was always the same words, the same situations, rehearsal, rehearsal, rehearsal, shoe factory, wedding, wedding, wedding... And then I have found myself to skip, first passages and then the whole pages and didn't feel that I mi...more
Lisa Jayne
In The days before my beloved kindle, I would happily root through books at my local supermarket and my husband would roll his eyes at another paperback 'appearing' in our bedroom.

This novel was one of 'those' books, a treasure found amongst all the other best selling books.

One word to sum up the book would be ~ SWEET. The kind of story that you find yourself lost in. Great characters, brilliant original storyline and FULL of heartwarming, 'how it should be' romance.

Check out the blurb this co...more
Leah
I adore Miranda Dickinson, not only is she one of the brightest new talents in Chick Lit, but she’s also a really, really lovely person. She has a video blog each week about her new novel – the one I’m reviewing, in fact – and she’s such a personable author, someone it’s easy to ask questions to and chat to, she’s awesome. I absolutely loved both of her previous two novels, Fairytale of New York and Welcome To My World so when I received a proof copy of It Started With A Kiss, it’s quite a surpr...more
chippyvale
I was a bit surprised by some of the negative reviews but different people have different tastes I guess. :) For me, I LOVE it. I think it has done well in several aspects. Heart-warming? Checked. Element(s) of surprise? Checked. Good detailing? Checked checked! I particularly enjoyed how the author described Romily and her bandmates as they performed in various wedding (or not) gigs.

Also, the author acknowledged through Romily that searching for that elusive man who gave her a smooch after hel...more
Eve
Great story, very unique but what bothered me the most were the elements that distracted me from the main story... lots of unnecessary pages:( I would've enjoy much more if the book was 300 pages and without the stories that weren't important. Loved how it started with the confession and i had very HIGH expectations...
Rosina
Firstly, I have to thank Miranda Dickinson herself and Chloe's Chick Lit Reviews for the signed book I won!! It came the day before Christmas Eve and was the perfect Christmas gift. If you're somehow reading this, it totally made my day, thank you!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This was exactly the book I needed. I started reading it on Christmas Eve, so I wanted a nice, light-hearted read to snuggle in bed with and make me feel all warm inside. This was like one of Auntie Mags' cakes and the perfect prescription.

I loved th...more
Kesh
After searching for a good, fun romance similar to Sophie Kinsella and Gemma Burgess; I stumbled onto this in the Kindle Store and had high hopes given all the positive reviews. Sadly, this book has disappointed me more than any other I've read this entire year!

I'm a sucker for a modern day fairytale, but also essential to any good romance IMO are strong female characters. While Romily, did grow as a character I found her too 'flighty' for my taste. She just told her best friend she's been in lo...more
Rea Sinfield
The first thing which stands out for me in this book is the descriptive writing that Miranda Dickinson uses to set the scene straight from the start of the book. I felt as though I was there in the Christmas market with Romily which helps the storyline feel more real.

The book starts off at such a fast pace and throws us straight into a gripping storyline. By the end of the first chapter I loved the character of Romily she is so easy to connect to and you find your heart going out to her.
This boo...more
»Elisha«
Disclaimer: This is not my type of book at all so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.
This was The Wedding Singer meets a Sunday afternoon Lifetime channel movie..you know, the ones that suck you in forcing you to watch till the end all the while seeing previews for the next that you just have to watch. The next thing you know it's 8pm and time for The Amazing Race.
I think I would have liked the book more if it didn't have all the band stuff in it...pretty unnecessary. There were a lot...more
Nathalie
I was so excited to get this book, as I have loved Miranda's previous books, and she is one of my favourite authors :)
It's such a lovely book, really took me in, and I adored the characters. I absolutely loved Uncle Dudley and Auntie Mags, they are so lovely! Really felt like I was in the room with them whenever they were in a scene :)
I loved how Miranda kept you guessing, even when I thought what the ending would be, Miranda manages to produce a twist that I didn't see coming!

Definitely get...more
Izzy
She wastes a whole year looking for a guy who kissed her once.... Does that sound like an interesting book?
Hasna
My first Miranda Dickinson's book, and it didn't disappoint me. Basically I'm rooting on her writing style. It's just seemingly effortless, seamless, flows like waters on rivers :D (my language).. and the book sets in Birmingham, I've never been there (I mean I've never read a book sets there before :D), so it's big refreshment for me. The city is as beautiful as the story as Miranda draws it.. I've seen it on Google Map too, to help me picturing it.. It certainly tells about a modern happy ever...more
pyjamasmotif
I ended this book with Turning Page as the background music. How perfectly fitting is that...lyric starts with..

I've waited a hundred years.
But I'd wait a million more for you.
Nothing prepared me for
What the privilege of being yours would do.

Somewhere in between, I was rooting for Charlie. He's the right man in the story if there is no competition on "life-changing, heart-stopping kissing virus, heart-stolen, heart-searching quest". But all ends well and everyone's happy...a nice picture at the...more
Stephanie
I've enjoyed Miranda' s books before and was looking forward to this one. I did enjoy the read, there is some repetition but I enjoyed that. My lower rating is really due to the ending which I'm afraid I found unsatisfactory. I don't want to spoil the ending for anyone so won't be specific but just to say I didn't feel invested in the actual ending.
Valery Beauchamp
Dopo aver letteralmente adorato “Cosa indossare al primo appuntamento” edito da Newton Compton, ho deciso di dare una possibilità anche ad un altro libro della medesima collana. Vorrei potervi dire che questo libro dal nome “Iniziò tutto con un bacio” mi è entrato nel cuore, ma purtroppo non è così e vi spiego perché.

La storia mi sembrava carina, la protagonista è Romily che, dopo una disastrosa dichiarazione d’amore, scappa dal cafè e va a sbattere contro una bancarella di pupazzi dove viene ai...more
Rebecca
I loved loved loved this book... until a few pages before the end, when it didn't go my way. 5 stars if it had an alternative ending.
Natalia Bona
I really liked it :) Finally started and finished a book after the Fifty Shades series
Aoife
I give this book 2.5 stars.
I picked this book up due to the Christmas season, I felt like reading something with a bit of Christmas cheer. I was a little wrong however, as there wasn't actually that much Christmas in the book.

I will start that I did love Romily, and not just because of her beautiful name. She showed strength when she was honest with Charlie about how she felt and throughout the year, she never allowed anything to stop her hope in believing she would find PK.

The character who an...more
Simona
It started with a kiss… This just sounds so out of a movie.

Being in love with the best friend, that’s never easy. Romily decided to tell Charlie about her feelings. If only she hadn’t. Charlie doesn’t share the same feelings and their relationship as best friends really suffers, because of that. To be honest, I really hated how Charlie treated her after that. I wanted to like him, but…

Then the mysterious stranger came along and they kissed. I instantly knew, that there had been something special...more
Mia Campion
They say "don't judge a book by its cover". But when it comes to chick-lit, that's exactly what I do. As I walked into the shop and saw its shiny cover, I knew I had to read it.

And I was right. It's not one of those books that will blow your mind (that's why to me it's a 3.5 stars), but it's definitely the perfect book to cuddle up on the sofa with while outside's snowing and Christmas is just around the corner. Although the story spans over an entire year, the holiday feeling never leaves you....more
Kim
I originally had It Started with a Kiss on my to-read list for December 2011. I ordered it from Bokus but it never arrived. I stumbled upon it again on Amazon.co.uk and decided I had to have it. I am so glad I decided to read it. ISwaK is a sweet story about fate, love and second chances.

Romily (Rom) Parker is a vocalist in a wedding band. She's been in love with her best friend Charlie for too long. The trouble is Charlie's completely clueless to how she feels about him. On Christmas Eve, she...more
Kevin I Heart.. Chick Lit
Review originally on www.iheart-chicklit.blogspot.com

Why you would love this:
The first ever book I read by Miranda Dickinson was When I Fall In Love, which was out last year. I will never forget it as it was simply magical and beautifully written. Since then, I've been a fan of Miranda's magical, sparkling books. After reading When I Fall In Love, it definitely made an impression and I knew I had to read Miranda's other books, so I bought It Started With A Kiss and read it and loved it.

It Starte...more
Valerie Jaafari
Romily is secretly in love from her best friend Charlie . They both belong to the same band and they perform mainly for wedding.
One day Romily decided to tell Charlie she loves him and he didn’t react as she wanted .So she run away . She made fall a toys stall on the Christmas market and a man stopped to help her . When she left he follow her and kissed her and vanished into the market .
It was such a special kiss that she decided to find him again despite the fact that she only knows what he was...more
Jana
You know, I said to myself one day, 'gee, chick-lit seems to be popular nowadays, I'll just check some reviews of the genre online to see if it's gonna click with me.' Thus, in doing so, I've discovered that, apparently, chick-lit was for middle-aged women and, rather negatively, those who were a sucker for sappy romance films and had nothing better to do than sigh about their love lives.

Then, I saw this book. I saw its cover and said, "my, what a gorgeous font!"* I saw the palette and appreciat...more
Kirsty (Book - Love - Bug)
What a book! This truly is the ultimate tale of fate and destiny. A complete fairytale; a lot of girls will recognise this fantasy.

I was hooked from the very first sentence, and that addiction didn’t relent until I’d turned the very last page! Some books just grab you, reel you in and hold you in suspense and it isn’t until you’ve finished that you realise you’ve been holding your breath. This is one of those.

The set list that Miranda Dickinson has accompanying this book is perfect – it fits wit...more
Zoë (Toastie)
Before I start I’d just like to point out that I know I’m not really the target audience for this book and yes, it does say the ‘only book to curl up with this Christmas’ or something like that but, no, it isn’t Christmas yet so I didn’t really get any of the festive feeling. It was still really good though.

When I started reading this book i actually had no clue what it was going to be like, I just saw the cover and fell in love. It is gorgeous though, anyway before i get too side tracked...

This...more
Sheila
I thought the book on the whole was excellent although at times I felt the plot was a little bit thin being only about the quest to find the mysterious man that Romily had kissed. I also felt that it was slightly unbelievable that Romily could feel a real strong attraction to fellow band member, Charlie and then when they kissed at the end of the book that neither of them could feel any reaction. This suspends disbelief just a little.

However, these two points considered, I loved the idea of the...more
Becca's Books

'It Started with a Kiss' by Miranda Dickinson has got to be one of the best books that I have read during 2012! It was everything that I LOVE to read in a book, funny, romantic, and it had a perfect ending.

What I thought of the front cover.
I ADORED it!
It depicts the perfect Christmassy scene, and with Christmas only a few days away, this really struck a chord with me :) It's beauuutiful! Everything about it screams out 'LOVE', 'MAGIC' and 'TAKING CHANCES'. I, for one, would love to be the wom...more
Chanpreet
Wow. This was great! I really liked Romily Parker, the lead singer in a wedding band called The Pinstripes and a jingle writer, who's just told her best friend Charlie, and fellow band mate, she loves him. Only, he doesn't. Her timing is perfect, right before Christmas, and in her haste to get away from the disaster she left behind, she runs into a toy stall and scatters toys everywhere. No helps her, except for this man, and she shares a look with him and just knows he's the one. Only he leaves...more
  • The Night Before Christmas
  • Wrapped Up in You
  • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • Home for Christmas
  • Breakfast at Darcy's
  • Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?
  • The Secret of Happy Ever After
  • (Un)like a Virgin
  • The Charm Bracelet
  • The Beach Cafe
Miranda Dickinson has always had a head full of stories. Coming from a creative family where stories and songs were always present, it was perhaps inevitable that she would end up adoring words. A songwriter for over 15 years, Miranda has successfully penned over thirty songs, delivering both live and recorded performances in a range of venues across the UK and Europe. Her first solo project album...more
More about Miranda Dickinson...
Fairytale of New York Welcome to My World When I Fall In Love Take A Look At Me Now The Perfect Treat: Heart-warming Short Stories for Winter Nights

“To dreams. And believing they're possible.” 6 likes
“Hurt and confusion mixing with anger to form a dangerously flammable cocktail.” 4 likes