Start by marking “The Eccentricities of a Nightingale” as Want to Read:
The Eccentricities of a Nightingale

The Eccentricities of a Nightingale

Eccentricities of a Nightingale, The, by Williams, Tennessee
Unknown Binding, 72 pages
Published June 1st 2003 by Dramatists Play Service (first published January 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Eccentricities of a Nightingale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eccentricities of a Nightingale

Bobby
Jan 20, 2010 Bobby rated it did not like it
Only read this if you're interested in seeing how Tennessee Williams's talent went way downhill as he aged, and for god's sake never perform it. This is a re-working of his 1948 play SUMMER AND SMOKE, and first performed as THE ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE in the 1970s. Williams succeeds in cutting or retooling everything that made his earlier work so beautiful. Instead of a wonderful doomed love story between the main characters Alma (representing old-fashioned Southern gentility a la Blanch ...more
Roland
Oct 15, 2014 Roland rated it really liked it
A vastly superior revision of Summer and Smoke. Alma's character has changed considerably...instead of being merely a prude, she's a full-on eccentric and you can see why she's an outcast. John's dad is completely removed from the story in this version, and his mother is introduced to give the story those great mommy issues that Williams is so great at. The characterizations of everyone in the story is just so much stronger than Summer and Smoke. Even Alma's dad gets a juicier role. If only we g ...more
Donna Barnett
Jun 23, 2013 Donna Barnett rated it it was amazing
I loved this play about a sensitive young woman from a home with a judgmental father and mother who has emotional outbursts. She loves a young man she grew up with. He's from a more stable family and is expected to marry someone of his class. She chooses to spend an evening with him and hold the memory for a lifetime. Very touching story and likable characters.
Jim Leckband
Jan 09, 2013 Jim Leckband rated it liked it
During my reading of Williams' plays there has to come a point when the quality dims in comparison to his masterpieces. I think this is the point. We are missing the lyricism, mystery, drama and some of the beauty that his best plays have. We do have some symbolism, Tennessee loves himself some symbolism.

The eponymous nightingale (Alma) is an eccentric-in-training of a small town Mississippi conservative town. If one reads autobiography into the play (which by all accounts, TW put it there), the
Susan
Jan 01, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Interestingly, The Eccentricities of the Nightingale was derived from Tennessee Williams' previously written Summer and Smoke. The same characters and settings are used in both plays, and in his notes Williams says that he preferred The Eccentricities because it is "less conventional and melodramatic" than Summer and Smoke. I'm not so sure I'd judge it less conventional and dramatic than Summer and Smoke, although the plays are different, and the characters are still pretty tragic.
Jeff
Apr 25, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
I liked this. It is definitely minor Williams--thin, with echoes of other major works--but there is well-earned pathos here. I have not read Summer and Smoke yet, so I will have to see if this is a considerable step down.
Brandon
Feb 22, 2016 Brandon rated it liked it
A re-working of Summer and Smoke but I like S&S a lot better. It's been a while since I've read S&S so I can't say exactly why that is, but it is. I wonder why Tennessee preferred this re-worked version.
Anna Sinclair
Jun 09, 2016 Anna Sinclair rated it really liked it
Tennessee Williams is the Captain of sailing the emotional ocean. His characters are fully developed and you laugh and cry with them. If thinking of reading this, you should read Summer and Smoke first.
Michelle Jardine
Dec 27, 2014 Michelle Jardine rated it liked it
I haven't read Summer and Smoke but I found this play enjoyable. The main characters are constructed well, with depth and purpose. Some of the dialogue in the latter scenes is a little hurried and the epilogue could be more clear. Overall, a tragic but worthwhile read.
Nina
Nina rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
E.M. Murren
E.M. Murren rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Gus
Gus rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2012
Jay Cardam
Jay Cardam rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2008
Kelci
Kelci rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2012
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2007
Kylie
Kylie rated it really liked it
May 27, 2015
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Kyrsten
Kyrsten rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2011
Jimmy dodder
Jimmy dodder rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2017
Mishap
Mishap rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2009
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Nessie
Nessie rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2008
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2017
Charlie Smith
Charlie Smith rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2011
  • Lips Together, Teeth Apart
  • Jesus Hopped the A Train
  • The Blue Room
  • Fifth of July
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) [Revised]: Actor's Edition
  • Collected Stories
  • Follies of God: Tennessee Williams and the Women of the Fog
  • Tiny Alice
  • Kazan on Directing
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women
  • Six Plays: The Children's Hour / Days to Come / The Little Foxes / Watch on the Rhine / Another Part of the Forest / The Autumn Garden
  • The Madness of George III
  • The Mammary Plays : How I Learned to Drive / The Mineola Twins
  • Curse of the Starving Class
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
  • Urinetown: The Musical
Thomas Lanier Williams III, better known by the nickname Tennessee Williams, was a major American playwright of the twentieth century who received many of the top theatrical awards for his work. He moved to New Orleans in 1939 and changed his name to "Tennessee," the state of his father's birth. He won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for A Streetcar Named Desire in 1948 and for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ...more
More about Tennessee Williams...