Start by marking “An Invitation To Sin” as Want to Read:
An Invitation To Sin

An Invitation To Sin (Naked Nobility #6.5)

Forbidden Affections by Jo Beverley

The doors to romance can be found in the most unexpected places, especially when the notorious Earl of Carne moves into the mansion neighboring Anna Featherstone's London townhouse. Who knocks first remains the only question. . .

The Pleasure Of A Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly

Clarissa Middleton cannot resist the ardent kisses of Captain
Published February 1st 2011 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about An Invitation To Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Invitation To Sin

Andreea Ilie
Oct 17, 2015 Andreea Ilie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: citite-in-2015
Dulcele păcat al iubirii întruneşte patru povestioare romantice foarte faine, fiecare dintre ele având mai mult sau mai puţin de o sută de pagini pline de umor, spirit, afecţiune, sinceritate, speranţă, ironii delicioase, mister, pasiune şi, mai ales, dragoste.

Dulcele păcat al iubirii - Jo Beverley

Primul titlu îi are ca protagonişti pe Anna Featherstone, o tânără de numai 16 ani, ce n-a părăsit încă băncile şcolii, şi pe Roland, conte de Carne, în vârstă de 30 de ani, ce a fost nevoi
An Odd1
Nov 10, 2011 An Odd1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xrate
Humor improves any Napoleon era romance. In this hot collection, Jo Beverley's Forbidden Affections and Sally MacKenzie's The Naked Prince are 4* giggles.
The first title is one of Gothic romances by the late owner of the Featherstone family summer rental. Anna, 16, daring, forthright, bookish, takes the Lady's recreated gargoyled bedroom, follows the secret passage to next door, where the bruised Lady was found overdosed on laudanum, and finds the handsome Earl of Carne. He fled under suspicion
willaful
Four Regency-ish romances featuring characters in somewhat scandalous situations. I pretty much expect anthologies to be meh, so I wasn’t disappointed -- except perhaps in the Jo Beverley story. Beverley is generally the highlight of any anthology she’s in, but though her story has by far the most original and interesting plot, it’s talky and claustrophobic feeling, with very little action. And the age difference between the characters is pretty squicky. (He is thirty, she is sixteen.)

Vanessa K
Donna Jo Atwood
Four authors, four stories, four disappointments. And I usually love Jo Beverley. Sorry.
Maura
Lindsay Pittman
Sep 21, 2012 Lindsay Pittman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The following review is more about The Pleasure of a Younger Lover than about the other three novellas in this delightful anthology.

The Pleasure of a Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly is one of four novellas included in the anthology An Invitation to Sin. It was, in fact, the last story I read in this anthology. I started with Sally Mackenzie's The Naked Prince simply because, well, it was the reason I purchased the anthology (Damien, by the way, is another to-die-for hero, but I already knew my l
Cindy
Mar 14, 2013 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology of 3 Regency romances, 1 Victorian romance. 3 with sex, 1 without.

Jo Beverley - 3 stars. I bought this book because of JB. I've never even heard of the other 3 authors before. JB writes intelligently & always has an interesting story to tell. I liked this one a lot. The age difference between Anna & her "wicked Earl" bothered me, but I guess this is my problem. I know young teenage girls were often given in marriage to men old enough to be their grandfathers, & the Earl
Julie
This review & rating are for "The Naked Prince" by Sally Mackenzie only. As stated on Ms Mackenzie's website, '"The Naked Prince" won the Golden Leaf for best novella!' And I agree wholeheartedly that it was well deserved! I think this novella is a critical part of the "Naked" series, before you read "The Naked King." The female half of this romance, Miss Josephine Attworthy, is intelligent & very proper but is duped by her father to attend a very scandalous house party. Luckily for her ...more
Claudine
The only reason I picked up this anthology was because of 3 authors I read regularly. Four stories with no common theme. 3 star rating because while I loved The Naked Prince, I truly didn't like the Forbidden Affections, I just couldn't get past the what bothered me the most with the story.

Jo Beverley - was not a fimilar author to me, it was the first time I have read anything by her and will be the last. Forbidden Affections is about a 30 year old Earl falling for a 16 year old child, Please...
Sue
Mar 29, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This was my Christmas vacation read when I wanted to be cherished (in fantasy, at least) rather than challenged. The book is really four short romances by four different authors rather than one story, which seemed perfect for my unpredictable schedule during the holidays. I happily accepted 3/4 "invitations" (in my imagination, anyway) but was so bored by Kaitlyn O'Riley's story that I couldn't finish it (which is unusual for me). However, Jo Beverly and Sally Mackenzie were in good form (as ...more
Jessi
Wow. The only story that I even halfway liked was "The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie. Thank God that was why I got this book otherwise I would have been more disappointed. Josephine Atworthy is invited to an orgy when another woman drops out and they need even numbers. Little does she know that the man she's been corresponding with (her London prince) is also invited to the party. He looks beneath her dated clothes and spinsterish attitudes to see the desirable woman underneath. They also help ...more
Suzainur K.A.R.
I often resort to novella compilation when I couldn't find anything I like to read. It's a good way to find new authors or even to evaluate prolific authors before I invest in a longer novel. This can be pretty hit and miss as some authors are great at short stories but suck at novel length and vice versa.

Of the 4 stories featured here, the one I enjoyed most is The Naked Prince.I remember reading Sally MacKenzie before and feeling a little disgruntled with the immense amount of contemporary Ame
Maria
Mar 09, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I bought this anthology for The Naked Prince by Sally McKenzie, the last part of her Naked series I hadn't yet read, and it didn't disappoint. 5 stars.

The first novella, Forbidden Affections, was okay. The heroine is only 16 though, so if that puts you off, be warned. There were times where I felt uncomfortable with the situations she was in, especially the first time she meets the hero. But it was still pretty good overall. 3 stars.

The second one, The Pleasure of a Younger Lover, was quite nice
Janga
Jan 20, 2011 Janga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of anthologies, this one was a mixed bag. Jo Beverley was on my autobuy list before I acquired the romance vocabulary to call her an "autobuy author," but "Forbidden Affection," although not a bad story, never reached the level I expect from this author. "The Pleasure of a Younger Lover" by Vanessa Kelly, another of my autobuy authors, was my favorite of the four. It was an enjoyable read, but I still prefer VK's novels to this novella. "The Naked Prince" by Sally MacKenzie stretched ...more
Amber
1. are you kidding me? we're really going to just slide past the (view spoiler)? what. no. 2. awww, he's been in love with her since forever. ...wait...did...did she just (view spoiler)? um...i guess if he's okay with it? 3. bahahaha, okay this one amuses me. i like. 4. um. kinda insipid and...fluffy? not to my taste. sorry (view spoiler) ...more
Antonia
Aug 01, 2011 Antonia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
At what point is a 16 yr old girl a suitable heroine for a romance novel? Even the main male character (a 30 yr old) calls her child regularly. The first story in this anthology is sickening. I strongly advise any librarians to remove this from their shelves. I deeply regret picking up this book.

Ms. Beverley, you should be ashamed.

I was so disgusted with this ephebophilic work I could bring myself to finish the novella or to read any of the others in the book.
Amethystprincess
All of the stories were good reads, but my favorite would have to be The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie.

It was a good story of the other side of parties that you do not read about in the novels from that time period. Parties where the idea is more than find someone to love, and love has nothing to do with it at all.
Tracy
Jun 23, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has four stories, each from a different author. The first story, Forbidden Affections, was a nice story but it did not grab my attention. The three remaining stories grabbed me immediately and had me reading late into the night to see how they would unfold. Overall it is a good compliation that i do recommend others read.
Joanne
Apr 10, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Loved all of these 4 short story's...........an excellent read! Turn pager, romance, hot and sassy, great characters!!!

Jo Beverley starts off with her story, which is great!

Then Sally Mackenzie, Vanessa Kelly and ending with Kaitlin O'Riley's story's.......wonderful authors of Historical Romance......
Jane Irish Nelson
I wish it were possible to rate each story separately, then I'd give Jo Beverley's Forbidden Affections at least a 4 if not a 5. I picked this book up at a book sale, because of this story. I'd read it before, and it stayed in my mind.

I had problems with the other stories, especially the last one. It seems very unlikely.
Donna
Feb 07, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm usually annoyed when publishers repackage old stories in their anthologies, especially when only one of the stories is new. But in this one, the only previously published novella, Forbidden Affections, is one of my very favorites and the other three are all new. The Sally MacKenzie story was the reason I bought this, but I liked the other two as well.
Amy
Dec 16, 2014 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stories with the common theme of taking the opportunity that forbidden passion brings--hence the title of the book itself. As with all anthologies, some entries are stronger than others. Overall, it was a pleasant diversion from the ordinary, and a good introduction to any of the authors' works.
Eri
Forbidden Affections by Jo Beverley - 3 stars

The Pleasure of a Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly - 1 star

The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie - 3 stars

A Summer Love Affair by Kaitlin O'Riley - 2 stars
TJ
It's hard to rate a book that has 4 completely different stories with totally different authors and styles.

For a complete review visit Affaire de Coeur magazine,hard copy or online at: http://affairedecoeur.com/ - February 2011 edition.
Ilze
Jun 11, 2011 Ilze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jo-beverley
Jo Beverley's story is surprisingly good, very sweet (in a good way). Anna the heroine is just delightful, and believable as a rather precocious 16 year-old. 4 stars.

Also read Vanessa Kelly's story but it wasn't nearly as good as Beverley's - 2 stars.
Fay Ann Hollcroft
Even though I really enjoyed the first story. I thought it lacking something for my taste buds. I also thought the other stories were going to be of the same depth depriving situations. I was sorely wrong. I enjoyed each one in its own way.
Lisa
May 18, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I bought the book just to read Jo Beverley's story and I wasn't disappointed. It was worth the price of the book. If you're a fan of Austen's Northanger Abbey, her spin on it in this story is wonderful.
Kelli
Jun 13, 2016 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, it was okay. I only read it because I wanted to read Sally MacKenzie's Naked Prince. I'm in love with her Naked Nobility series.
Leo
Aug 16, 2011 Leo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stars are only for Jo Beverley's Forbidden Affections. The other stories were tedious in comparison.
Barbara
Sep 03, 2016 Barbara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
Really a waste of money
Jo Beverley-awful
Vanessa Kelly-OK
Sally McKensize-not very good
Kaitlin ORiley-best of the bunch

Expected so much better from these authors.
  • Lords of Desire
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • It Happened One Season
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle / Governess to Christmas Bride / Duchess by Christmas
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • A Regency Christmas VII
  • Three Weddings and a Murder
  • Mischief and Mistletoe
  • Married at Midnight
  • The One That Got Away
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...

Naked Nobility (9 books)
  • The Naked Duke (Naked Nobility, #1)
  • The Naked Baron (Naked Nobility, #2)
  • The Naked Laird (Naked Nobility, #2.5)
  • The Naked Marquis (Naked Nobility, #3)
  • The Naked Earl (Naked Nobility, #4)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • The Naked Gentleman (Naked Nobility, #6)
  • The Naked Prince (Naked Nobility, #6.5)
  • The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7)