Start by marking “An Invitation to Sin” as Want to Read:
An Invitation to Sin

An Invitation to Sin (Naked Nobility #6.5)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Forbidden Affections by Jo Beverley The doors to romance can be found in the most unexpected places, especially when the notorious Earl of Carne moves into the mansion neighboring Anna Featherstone's London townhouse. Who knocks first remains the only question. . .

The Pleasure Of A Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly

Clarissa Middleton cannot resist the ardent kisses of Captain
Published February 1st 2011 by Zebra Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about An Invitation to Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Invitation to Sin

An Odd1
Humor improves any Napoleon era romance. In this hot collection, Jo Beverley's Forbidden Affections and Sally MacKenzie's The Naked Prince are 4* giggles.
The first title is one of Gothic romances by the late owner of the Featherstone family summer rental. Anna, 16, daring, forthright, bookish, takes the Lady's recreated gargoyled bedroom, follows the secret passage to next door, where the bruised Lady was found overdosed on laudanum, and finds the handsome Earl of Carne. He fled under suspicion
willaful
Four Regency-ish romances featuring characters in somewhat scandalous situations. I pretty much expect anthologies to be meh, so I wasn’t disappointed -- except perhaps in the Jo Beverley story. Beverley is generally the highlight of any anthology she’s in, but though her story has by far the most original and interesting plot, it’s talky and claustrophobic feeling, with very little action. And the age difference between the characters is pretty squicky. (He is thirty, she is sixteen.)

Vanessa K
Amber
1. are you kidding me? we're really going to just slide past the (view spoiler)? what. no. 2. awww, he's been in love with her since forever. ...wait...did...did she just (view spoiler)? um...i guess if he's okay with it? 3. bahahaha, okay this one amuses me. i like. 4. um. kinda insipid and...fluffy? not to my taste. sorry (view spoiler) ...more
Donna Jo Atwood
Four authors, four stories, four disappointments. And I usually love Jo Beverley. Sorry.
Claudine
The only reason I picked up this anthology was because of 3 authors I read regularly. Four stories with no common theme. 3 star rating because while I loved The Naked Prince, I truly didn't like the Forbidden Affections, I just couldn't get past the what bothered me the most with the story.

Jo Beverley - was not a fimilar author to me, it was the first time I have read anything by her and will be the last. Forbidden Affections is about a 30 year old Earl falling for a 16 year old child, Please...
Jessi
Wow. The only story that I even halfway liked was "The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie. Thank God that was why I got this book otherwise I would have been more disappointed. Josephine Atworthy is invited to an orgy when another woman drops out and they need even numbers. Little does she know that the man she's been corresponding with (her London prince) is also invited to the party. He looks beneath her dated clothes and spinsterish attitudes to see the desirable woman underneath. They also help ...more
Sue
This was my Christmas vacation read when I wanted to be cherished (in fantasy, at least) rather than challenged. The book is really four short romances by four different authors rather than one story, which seemed perfect for my unpredictable schedule during the holidays. I happily accepted 3/4 "invitations" (in my imagination, anyway) but was so bored by Kaitlyn O'Riley's story that I couldn't finish it (which is unusual for me). However, Jo Beverly and Sally Mackenzie were in good form (as usu ...more
Julie
This review & rating are for "The Naked Prince" by Sally Mackenzie only. As stated on Ms Mackenzie's website, '"The Naked Prince" won the Golden Leaf for best novella!' And I agree wholeheartedly that it was well deserved! I think this novella is a critical part of the "Naked" series, before you read "The Naked King." The female half of this romance, Miss Josephine Attworthy, is intelligent & very proper but is duped by her father to attend a very scandalous house party. Luckily for her ...more
Cindy
An anthology of 3 Regency romances, 1 Victorian romance. 3 with sex, 1 without.

Jo Beverley - 3 stars. I bought this book because of JB. I've never even heard of the other 3 authors before. JB writes intelligently & always has an interesting story to tell. I liked this one a lot. The age difference between Anna & her "wicked Earl" bothered me, but I guess this is my problem. I know young teenage girls were often given in marriage to men old enough to be their grandfathers, & the Earl
Lindsay Pittman
The following review is more about The Pleasure of a Younger Lover than about the other three novellas in this delightful anthology.

The Pleasure of a Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly is one of four novellas included in the anthology An Invitation to Sin. It was, in fact, the last story I read in this anthology. I started with Sally Mackenzie's The Naked Prince simply because, well, it was the reason I purchased the anthology (Damien, by the way, is another to-die-for hero, but I already knew my l
Suzainur K.A.R.
I often resort to novella compilation when I couldn't find anything I like to read. It's a good way to find new authors or even to evaluate prolific authors before I invest in a longer novel. This can be pretty hit and miss as some authors are great at short stories but suck at novel length and vice versa.

Of the 4 stories featured here, the one I enjoyed most is The Naked Prince.I remember reading Sally MacKenzie before and feeling a little disgruntled with the immense amount of contemporary Ame
Janga
Like a lot of anthologies, this one was a mixed bag. Jo Beverley was on my autobuy list before I acquired the romance vocabulary to call her an "autobuy author," but "Forbidden Affection," although not a bad story, never reached the level I expect from this author. "The Pleasure of a Younger Lover" by Vanessa Kelly, another of my autobuy authors, was my favorite of the four. It was an enjoyable read, but I still prefer VK's novels to this novella. "The Naked Prince" by Sally MacKenzie stretched ...more
Anasoleil
Forbidden Affections - Jo Beverly: 4
The Pleasure of a Younger Lover - Vanessa Kelly: 3
The Naked Prince - Sally MacKenzie: 2
A Summer Love Affair - Kaitlin O'Riley: 3
Antonia
At what point is a 16 yr old girl a suitable heroine for a romance novel? Even the main male character (a 30 yr old) calls her child regularly. The first story in this anthology is sickening. I strongly advise any librarians to remove this from their shelves. I deeply regret picking up this book.

Ms. Beverley, you should be ashamed.

I was so disgusted with this ephebophilic work I could bring myself to finish the novella or to read any of the others in the book.
Amethystprincess
All of the stories were good reads, but my favorite would have to be The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie.

It was a good story of the other side of parties that you do not read about in the novels from that time period. Parties where the idea is more than find someone to love, and love has nothing to do with it at all.
Donna
I'm usually annoyed when publishers repackage old stories in their anthologies, especially when only one of the stories is new. But in this one, the only previously published novella, Forbidden Affections, is one of my very favorites and the other three are all new. The Sally MacKenzie story was the reason I bought this, but I liked the other two as well.
Tracy
This book has four stories, each from a different author. The first story, Forbidden Affections, was a nice story but it did not grab my attention. The three remaining stories grabbed me immediately and had me reading late into the night to see how they would unfold. Overall it is a good compliation that i do recommend others read.
Joanne
Loved all of these 4 short story's...........an excellent read! Turn pager, romance, hot and sassy, great characters!!!

Jo Beverley starts off with her story, which is great!

Then Sally Mackenzie, Vanessa Kelly and ending with Kaitlin O'Riley's story's.......wonderful authors of Historical Romance......
Ilze
Jo Beverley's story is surprisingly good, very sweet (in a good way). Anna the heroine is just delightful, and believable as a rather precocious 16 year-old. 4 stars.

Also read Vanessa Kelly's story but it wasn't nearly as good as Beverley's - 2 stars.
Fay Ann Hollcroft
Even though I really enjoyed the first story. I thought it lacking something for my taste buds. I also thought the other stories were going to be of the same depth depriving situations. I was sorely wrong. I enjoyed each one in its own way.
TJ
It's hard to rate a book that has 4 completely different stories with totally different authors and styles.

For a complete review visit Affaire de Coeur magazine,hard copy or online at: http://affairedecoeur.com/ - February 2011 edition.
Lisa
I bought the book just to read Jo Beverley's story and I wasn't disappointed. It was worth the price of the book. If you're a fan of Austen's Northanger Abbey, her spin on it in this story is wonderful.
Eri
Forbidden Affections by Jo Beverley - 3 stars

The Pleasure of a Younger Lover by Vanessa Kelly - 1 star

The Naked Prince by Sally MacKenzie - 3 stars

A Summer Love Affair by Kaitlin O'Riley - 2 stars
Anna
Mar 10, 2011 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a light historical romance
Fun short stories/novellas. I love having books like this around when it is late and I don't want to start something long (and be afraid I can't put it down and still be reading at 2 a.m.)
Marjorie
I got the book for the Naked Nobility story, but I am so glad that I kept reading. I loved the stories by Jo Beverley and Kaitlen O'Riley. I think I am going to have to read more of their books.
Lisa (Reading to the Moon)
I like Jo Beverly and Vanessa Kelly so this seemed like a good choice when I was looking for a short story collection. They were all good. They were leaned more towards sweet than sexy.
Barbara
Really a waste of money
Jo Beverley-awful
Vanessa Kelly-OK
Sally McKensize-not very good
Kaitlin ORiley-best of the bunch

Expected so much better from these authors.
Ericka Scott
I really enjoyed all but one of these stories. The endings were a bit too tidy and rushed, but that is a function of the novella and not the author's story telling.
Carrie Felton
I loved the last story, the third one was pretty good and the first one was interesting. I didnt like the second one very much but it was okay.
Liz
Beverly's story was a great example of a fun romance without any actual sex, Mackenzie's entry was up to par, but the other two were sort of *meh*.
  • Lords of Desire
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Gift-Wrapped Governess: Christmas at Blackhaven Castle\Governess to Christmas Bride\Duchess by Christmas
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • It Happened One Season
  • Midnight Scandals
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • The One That Got Away
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • A Christmas Collection: The Greatest Gift/ Falling Stars/ The Scent of Snow/ Footsteps in the Snow
  • Regency Christmas Proposals
  • The Heart of Christmas (Includes: Carhart #0.5, Tallants #3.5)
Mary Josephine Dunn was born 22 September 1947 in Lancashire, England, UK. At the age of eleven she went to an all-girls boarding school, Layton Hill Convent, Blackpool. At sixteen, she wrote her first romance, with a medieval setting, completed in installments in an exercise book. From 1966 to 1970, she obtained a degree in English history from Keele University in Staffordshire, where she met her ...more
More about Jo Beverley...
My Lady Notorious (Malloren, #1) An Arranged Marriage (Company of Rogues, #1) An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2) Devilish (Malloren, #5) Something Wicked (Malloren, #3)