Start by marking “Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America” as Want to Read:
Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Cooking with Grease is an inspiring, behind-the-scenes memoir of the life and times of a tenacious political organizer and the first African-American woman to head a major presidential campaign.
Donna Brazile fought her first political fight at age nine -- campaigning (successfully) for a city council candidate who promised a playground in her neighborhood. The day after
Published June 2nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with Grease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with Grease

Kecia
Let me start by saying Al Gore will always be my 43rd President and that is the context of which I started reading Cooking with Grease.

I enjoyed Cooking with Grease but her editors really did a poor job. The last few chapters were really chopped up and that was the part of her story I most wanted to read the most. It was frustrating because everything was almost in Cliff Notes format.

What I learned was that she has a good relationship with my former Congressman and neighbor, Dick Gephardt. That
Irene
This needed a good editor. Listing the address of every office from which she worked and the names of the roads she traveled between her residence and each office was dragged down the prose. We also did not need to know that every libral, African-American political figure of note as well as most white librals in politics were her very bestest friend. Her self insight seems to reach its highest level in high school, or early college. After that, she seems to continue to view her experiences throu ...more
Paulatics
Donna is one of my heroes. This book is informative and enjoyable.
Miah D
I lov4 Donna Brazile the political strategist. I db't carr the same feelings for Donna Brazile the writer. Her story is compelling, but at best choppily written. She needs an editor--badly. An editor would be able to take a great story and turn it into great writing. Overall, this is an easy read that I would recommend for a women looking for insiration, but beware that there are llots of pages of "Famous Donna Brazile Name Dropping" mixed with misplaced southern cooking metaphors.

Again, the sto
Donna Kubiak
Life story of one of my favorite CNN political strategists. This book shows her determination and perserverance toward doing what she started wanting to do when she was a young child..manage a presidential campaign,which she did for Al Gore. Pretty uplifting for a woman to do this typical male job. And do it well!
Beverly
Donna Brazile is an inspiration to all who believe in being empowered by the right to vote and participate in the political process of this country! the book was a little choppy but her story is worth the lack of edited perfection.
Mukeary
A combination of how the author's difficult upbringing led to her passion for social justice which led to her choice of careers. Hearing her at Chautauqua was what motivated me to read this.
Janet W.
I really enjoyed the book. It seemed as if Donna Brazile was just talking to you instead of down to you. It was a fast read and I realize that sacrifice one has to make to really become successful.
Elly
Very interesting. It was interesting to read the inside story of the 2000 'hanging chad' election.
Polly Callahan
author was head of Gore's campaign
students like it
Simon
It seemed a bit preachy, and ego driven.
Gale Yancy
Gale Yancy marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Davina
Davina marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Paulina
Paulina marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Tamani
Tamani marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Tommie Leydsman
Tommie Leydsman marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Quietconfidence
Quietconfidence marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Russia
Russia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Donna Brazile is an American author, educator, and political activist and strategist affiliated with the Democratic Party. She was the first African-American to direct a major presidential campaign.

Brazile was born in Kenner, Louisiana to Lionel and Jean Brazile, the third of nine children. She became interested in politics at age nine when a local candidate for office promised to build a neighbor
More about Donna Brazile...
Unbought And Unbossed