Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Cooking with Grease is an inspiring, behind-the-scenes memoir of the life and times of a tenacious political organizer and the first African-American woman to head a major presidential campaign.
Donna Brazile fought her first political fight at age nine -- campaigning (successfully) for a city council candidate who promised a playground in her neighborhood. The day after...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 25th 2004)

Kecia
Let me start by saying Al Gore will always be my 43rd President and that is the context of which I started reading Cooking with Grease.

I enjoyed Cooking with Grease but her editors really did a poor job. The last few chapters were really chopped up and that was the part of her story I most wanted to read the most. It was frustrating because everything was almost in Cliff Notes format.

What I learned was that she has a good relationship with my former Congressman and neighbor, Dick Gephardt. That...more
Irene
This needed a good editor. Listing the address of every office from which she worked and the names of the roads she traveled between her residence and each office was dragged down the prose. We also did not need to know that every libral, African-American political figure of note as well as most white librals in politics were her very bestest friend. Her self insight seems to reach its highest level in high school, or early college. After that, she seems to continue to view her experiences throu...more
Paulatics
Donna is one of my heroes. This book is informative and enjoyable.
Miah D
I lov4 Donna Brazile the political strategist. I db't carr the same feelings for Donna Brazile the writer. Her story is compelling, but at best choppily written. She needs an editor--badly. An editor would be able to take a great story and turn it into great writing. Overall, this is an easy read that I would recommend for a women looking for insiration, but beware that there are llots of pages of "Famous Donna Brazile Name Dropping" mixed with misplaced southern cooking metaphors.

Again, the sto...more
Donna Kubiak
Life story of one of my favorite CNN political strategists. This book shows her determination and perserverance toward doing what she started wanting to do when she was a young child..manage a presidential campaign,which she did for Al Gore. Pretty uplifting for a woman to do this typical male job. And do it well!
Beverly
Donna Brazile is an inspiration to all who believe in being empowered by the right to vote and participate in the political process of this country! the book was a little choppy but her story is worth the lack of edited perfection.
Mukeary
A combination of how the author's difficult upbringing led to her passion for social justice which led to her choice of careers. Hearing her at Chautauqua was what motivated me to read this.
Janet W.
I really enjoyed the book. It seemed as if Donna Brazile was just talking to you instead of down to you. It was a fast read and I realize that sacrifice one has to make to really become successful.
Elly
Very interesting. It was interesting to read the inside story of the 2000 'hanging chad' election.
Polly Callahan
author was head of Gore's campaign
students like it
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Emily Lucas
Emily Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Alex Reverman
Alex Reverman marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Alex Bischoff
Alex Bischoff marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Denise
Denise added it
May 21, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Sharice
Sharice marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
John
John added it
Feb 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Donna Brazile is an American author, educator, and political activist and strategist affiliated with the Democratic Party. She was the first African-American to direct a major presidential campaign.

Brazile was born in Kenner, Louisiana to Lionel and Jean Brazile, the third of nine children. She became interested in politics at age nine when a local candidate for office promised to build a neighbor...more
More about Donna Brazile...
Unbought And Unbossed