Start by marking “Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America” as Want to Read:
Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

Cooking with Grease: Stirring the Pots in America

Cooking with Grease is an inspiring, behind-the-scenes memoir of the life and times of a tenacious political organizer and the first African-American woman to head a major presidential campaign.

Donna Brazile fought her first political fight at age nine -- campaigning (successfully) for a city council candidate who promised a playground in her neighborhood. The day after

Published June 2nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking with Grease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking with Grease

Kecia
Jan 30, 2009 Kecia rated it liked it
Let me start by saying Al Gore will always be my 43rd President and that is the context of which I started reading Cooking with Grease.

I enjoyed Cooking with Grease but her editors really did a poor job. The last few chapters were really chopped up and that was the part of her story I most wanted to read the most. It was frustrating because everything was almost in Cliff Notes format.

What I learned was that she has a good relationship with my former Congressman and neighbor, Dick Gephardt. That
Irene
Aug 07, 2009 Irene rated it it was ok
This needed a good editor. Listing the address of every office from which she worked and the names of the roads she traveled between her residence and each office was dragged down the prose. We also did not need to know that every libral, African-American political figure of note as well as most white librals in politics were her very bestest friend. Her self insight seems to reach its highest level in high school, or early college. After that, she seems to continue to view her experiences throu ...more
Paulatics
Jan 20, 2013 Paulatics rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna is one of my heroes. This book is informative and enjoyable.
Barbara
Feb 11, 2017 Barbara rated it really liked it
Loved reading about Donna Brazile's childhood, imagining what a determined child she was. Found it very interesting how she moved back and forth from cause activism to political work. At 23 she was a key mover in the 20th anniversary of the March on Washington, organizing more people to attend it than had been at the original. The skills she picked up there perfectly positioned her to be a major player in her campaign work. It's painful to read her recounting of how the Democrats take African-Am ...more
YT
Sep 21, 2016 YT rated it liked it
Bookworm
Mar 10, 2016 Bookworm rated it it was ok
Definitely not a great memoir for politcs Although I was really interested in reading Brazile's story after following her on Twitter for quite a while, seeing her name here and there, etc. I didn't know all that much about her. As election is ramping up I thought this would be another helpful read (as well as a book for fulfilling my desire to read as many books by black authors for Black History Month as possible), but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way. As other reviews mention, it's pr ...more
Carson Harkrader
Sep 13, 2015 Carson Harkrader rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Donna Brazile charts her life and career in politics, from her childhood in New Orleans to various political campaigns and Washington DC. She is very open about her personal and career ups and downs, wins and losses. Each chapter contains a reference to New Orleans cooking, and the back of the book contains a recipe for gumbo (which I followed - it was really good!) As someone who has followed politics for most of my life, it was interesting to see how Donna's life ...more
Miah D
Jul 28, 2013 Miah D rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
I lov4 Donna Brazile the political strategist. I db't carr the same feelings for Donna Brazile the writer. Her story is compelling, but at best choppily written. She needs an editor--badly. An editor would be able to take a great story and turn it into great writing. Overall, this is an easy read that I would recommend for a women looking for insiration, but beware that there are llots of pages of "Famous Donna Brazile Name Dropping" mixed with misplaced southern cooking metaphors.

Again, the sto
Sue Lusk
Feb 11, 2016 Sue Lusk rated it liked it
I really liked this political history as told from her journey through the ranks of the Democratic party , she has a great story to tell, only gave it 3 stars though because seriously she really needed a great editor to compliment her story. Hard to follow at times. With that said it was a quick read told from her perspective.
Donna Kubiak
Oct 08, 2011 Donna Kubiak rated it really liked it
Life story of one of my favorite CNN political strategists. This book shows her determination and perserverance toward doing what she started wanting to do when she was a young child..manage a presidential campaign,which she did for Al Gore. Pretty uplifting for a woman to do this typical male job. And do it well!
Beverly
Aug 04, 2012 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Donna Brazile is an inspiration to all who believe in being empowered by the right to vote and participate in the political process of this country! the book was a little choppy but her story is worth the lack of edited perfection.
Mukeary
Aug 05, 2011 Mukeary rated it really liked it
A combination of how the author's difficult upbringing led to her passion for social justice which led to her choice of careers. Hearing her at Chautauqua was what motivated me to read this.
Janet W.
Jul 23, 2008 Janet W. rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. It seemed as if Donna Brazile was just talking to you instead of down to you. It was a fast read and I realize that sacrifice one has to make to really become successful.
Racheal Kalisz
Apr 16, 2016 Racheal Kalisz rated it really liked it
Wonderfully informative and humorous. I hope we will get to hear story of her Presidential Run some day!
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Erin Tanner
Erin Tanner rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2008
Alva
Alva rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2012
Manny Jenkins
Manny Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2013
Simon
Sep 01, 2014 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It seemed a bit preachy, and ego driven.
Trish
Trish rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2008
Sheria
Sheria rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2013
Moriam
Moriam rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Amy M
Amy M rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Elly
Nov 27, 2011 Elly rated it really liked it
Very interesting. It was interesting to read the inside story of the 2000 'hanging chad' election.
Josh Grossfeld
Josh Grossfeld rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
May 01, 2008
Melanie
Melanie rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Bulletproof Diva
  • Soldier: A Poet's Childhood
  • Working Fire: The Making of a Fireman
  • Writers Gone Wild: The Feuds, Frolics, and Follies of Literature's Great Adventurers, Drunkards, Lovers, Iconoclasts, and Misanthropes
  • Extreme Sleeps: Adventures of a Wild Camper
  • Creating Black Americans: African-American History and Its Meanings, 1619 to the Present
  • Iceman: Uncovering the Life and Times of a Prehistoric Man Found in an Alpine Glacier
  • A Governor's Story: The Fight for Jobs and America's Economic Future
  • Abeng
  • Wounds of Passion: A Writing Life
  • Remembering Jim Crow: African Americans Tell About Life in the Segregated South
  • Watchdogs of Democracy?: The Waning Washington Press Corps and How It Has Failed the Public
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
  • Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969
  • Intern Nation: How to Earn Nothing and Learn Little in the Brave New Economy
  • Scribe: My Journey As a Sportswriter
  • Birding with Yeats: A Mother's Memoir
  • Unbought And Unbossed
Donna Brazile is an American author, educator, and political activist and strategist affiliated with the Democratic Party. She was the first African-American to direct a major presidential campaign.

Brazile was born in Kenner, Louisiana to Lionel and Jean Brazile, the third of nine children. She became interested in politics at age nine when a local candidate for office promised to build a neighbor
More about Donna Brazile...