Start by marking “Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3” as Want to Read:

Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  7,388 ratings  ·  185 reviews
1 told 2

and 2 told 3,

"I'll race you to the top

of the apple tree."

One hundred and one numbers climb the apple tree in this bright, rollicking, joyous book for young children. As the numerals pile up and bumblebees threaten, what's the number that saves the day? (Hint: It rhymes with "hero.") Read and count and play and laugh to learn the surprising answer.
Published November 23rd 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published July 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3

Annette Taylor-james
I enjoyed reading this book to the children especially at circle-time, we review the colors, numbers and discuss any new word or words. The repetition is also good because it helps to re-enforce the concepts. The children love to read this book.
Ariana
This colorful book uses rhyming and fun situations to help teach children how to count up to twenty by ones, and count to one-hundred by tens as the numbers clump up an apple tree. Through a tricky situation with bumblebees Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 also teaches young ones how to count backwards by tens from one-hundred to twenty, and by ones from twenty to one. It discusses the importance in the number zero because without the help of the extra zero they would have never made it to the number one-hun ...more
Rachel
Chicka Chicka BY: Bill Martin Jr.

Chicka Chicka 1 2 3 by Bill Martin Jr is a young readers book. It is a fun way to learn how to count. In this book there was a repetitive line that allowed the children to memorize and participate in the discussion. Repetition is key in engaging the interest of children learning to read. I feel like that was a great way to engage a group of young readers. Within this book there was a lesson being learned. The reader was taught how to count all the way to 20 by c
Khaoi Mady
In this great follow up to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, numbers take over an apple tree. In the familiar rhyme scheme of its predecessor, numbers are personified to climb up a tree and they run into problems along the way. The numbers stop climbing when bumblebees come in the scene and they must find a way around this. The colors are bright and bold. There is a lot of action in this book for counting book. I found myself entrenched in the storyline of the book and felt the numbers were characters an ...more
Alma Hernandez
This book is great for teachers to use in the begining of the year. This book helps introduce children to numbers. The illustrations are eye catching. The way the book goes along, children will always be interested.

Bill Martin lived the last 11 years of his life in the east Texas woods near Commerce, Texas. A Kansas native, Bill graduated with a teaching certificate from Emporia State University. He taught in Kansas and was an elementary school principal in Chicago before he moved to New York Ci
Allie
For those who like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, this book follows the same lovable pattern. This book quickly becomes familiar with its rhythmic pattern and fun illustrations. The illustrations bring the numbers to life and almost make them jump off the page. This would be a fun book to read during math time to younger students. Students can practice finding numbers and chanting along with the reader. I would read this book aloud to the students and then place the book somewhere in the classroom whe ...more
Amy Rae
Pointless sequel that lacks the charm of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.
Kathy Leonard
Martin, Bill. Chicka Chicka 123 (2013). This books follows Martin’s popular ABC book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The format is similar but now the focus is on counting. The numbers all want to climb the apple tree but there’s a twist, once on top, the bees don’t want them in their tree. The numbers practically fall out of the tree because they are so scared. This counting book has rhyming phrases, white space between sentences and the sentences are broken up into small chunks. The repeated phrase, ...more
Kayla H. Hoard
All the numbers from 1-99 begin to climb a coconut tree until the tree is weighed down and all of a sudden it falls and all of the numbers come tumbling back down to the ground.

This book is great not for just the youngest kids learning to count but for older kids learning to count all the way to 100. First the book goes through the numbers as they go up the tree then gives kids a double dose by going through the numbers again as the numbers fall back down the tree. This book could definitely spr
This was not as good as the original, but had some good rhyming going on.
K
I only wish it was as good as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom...
Brittany Stewart
This book uses a lot of repetition and chronological counting. I love how the author gives emotion to the numbers such as how 0 feels he has no place as all the numbers go one after the other. I loved how the numbers climbing up the tree seem to be a little race or a game. Reading this book and creating a game similar would be great for young children. I enjoyed reading this book. It teaches children how to count in order as well as provide vivid colors and details in the illustration. I think t ...more
Cherina
Summary: This time, it's the numbers turn to take an adventure. Numbers 1 through 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 99 race to the top of an apple tree. But will there be enough room for 0? A swarm of bees comes along and chases the numbers out of their tree. 0 hides. Once the bees are gone, 0 takes his place atop the tree with 10 -- making 100. The numbers are happy and scramble back to the top of the tree.

Uses: read-aloud in the primary grades; independent reading for early readers; possibly
Melanie Bates
Chicka Chicka 1-2-3

Summary: This book is similar to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, except instead of letters they incorporate numbers. They use numbers and rhyming throughout the whole book. The illustrations in this book show digits climbing up an apple tree which represents the content on each page.

Response: This book has the same concept as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. I liked that the author mentioned numbers one through twenty, then went from twenty to one hundred counting by tens. This is an intere
Teresa
This is another book that has almost the same kind of format as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The numbers are all trying to go up an apple tree. Will there be a place for Zero? You'll have to read it to find out.The illustrations are fun and colorful. This book was fun just like the one that proceeds it. The rhythm in the book is pretty evident so it makes it easy to read and the children follow along. I gave this book 3 stars only because it wasn't as exciting and catchy as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. ...more
Renee
Summary: Numbers from one to one hundred climb to the top of an apple tree in this rhyming chant.

My son loves this book right now! (age 3 1/2) Book goes up to 100. The numbers are climbing the apple tree, 1-20, then by tens 30, 40, etc, to 100. O is always asking "Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3, Will there be a place for me?" He ends up at the top of the tree with 10 to make 100. There are some bees in the book who cause the numbers to get out of their tree.

Not as great as Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but it
Joy
This is the other half of the creative duo for Chicka Chicka Boom Boom writing his version of a counting book (the other author is responsible for Boom Chicka Rock)

This book features the art of Lois Ehlert just like the original book. It's not as good as the original in my opinion but decent. Very similar in structure to Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but there's an apple tree this time. It counts higher than Boom Chicka Rock (1-20 and then 10s to 100).

The illustrations are cut paper.
Sarah Sammis
Chicka, Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr. is the follow up to Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom, a book I haven't read but Harriet has. This book is as the title suggests, a counting book. The numbers 1 to 100 are represented with most of the emphasis being on the numbers 1 to 20.

For reasons unknown to me, the numbers decide to climb into an apple tree. Some climb just for the fun of climbing and some are after the apples. The zero, wants in on the fun but can't figure out how to participate.

The number
Tami
Title: Chicka Chicka 1-2-3 Author: Bill Martin Jr., Michael Sampson, Louis Ehlert Illustrated by: Sergio Martiaez Genre: Folklore Age Level: P; I Date: 2004
Numbers from 1 to 99 go up the tree and then there is no room for zero. Zero begins to cry. Bubble bees shout, “GET OUT OF OUR TREE!” and all the numbers fall out but zero. “0 lands on top of the tree, joins with 10. Now 100 you see!” “Chicka chicka 1, 2, 3….Here’s the place that’s just for me!” All the numbers come back on the tree and zero
Publication Date: July 2, 2004

Annotation: Counting book that uses bright colors and simple lines to help make counting fun.

Themes: Number Sense, Counting

Way to Use: This story can be used in conjunction with early math/number sense lessons. Students can sequence numbers or count using 1:1 correspondence. They could also build their own tree with numbers on it.
Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 2004

Genre: number book

Awards won:

Themes: counting, rhyming words

Annotation: In this spin-off of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Bill Martin, Jr. creates a number book that has the numbers paired with a rhyming word or phrase that helps children connect with the number.

Ways to use the book with children: counting, number recognition
Chelsey Wilson
I always loved reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so when I heard about this one, I was really excited! It is very similar to the alphabet book, but different since this one incorporated the numbers. I would recommend this book for Pre-K, Kindergarten, or 1st Grade. Very cute! Even better since the author grew up in Kansas :)
Rachel
Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 is a twist on the classic Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book. This book focuses on numbers and counting. The students in kindergarten or first grade will love counting along and repeating the predictable phrases. This is a great way to teach counting in tens as well as counting backwards.
Amy Scott
This is a cute counting book by the authors of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. The colors are rich and bright which makes it eye-catching to the reader. The book counts to 100 so I could see it being a great book to use in Kindergarten, especially during their 100 days of school celebration.
Addie
I really enjoyed this book. It is a lot like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but it has numbers instead of letters and is set in an apple tree instead a coconut tree. Throughout the book all the numbers are climbing up the aplle tree getting a spot while zero is all alone wondering if there is a place for him in the Apple tree. Will he find a place in the tree among the other numbers?
I read this to my kids and they want me to read it every night, it is a great way to help kids learn to count, it rhyme
Alondra Munoz
This book is about numbers and how the number 0 wants to get on the tree but doesn’t think there is a place for it. I wouldn't recommend this book for the older kids, this book is mainly for preschool and kindergarteners.
Lee Chin
It has the same flow and format as the first book, chicka chicka boom boom. Though i like the final twist at the end than the coconut tree version. My son could identify with the lonely "0" right from the start.
Juliana Duarte
Chicka Chicka 1,2,3 is an extremely fun and educational book for young students in their primary stage of education. It helps teach students in learning about counting and numbers in an exciting way by rhyming the numbers and almost making it into a song. The story starts with the numbers 1,2, and 3 climbing up the apple tree all the numbers climb up after it in order and then goes in reverse when the numbers fall out of the tree. The story ends with the number 100 on top of the apple tree. The ...more
Erin
We love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, so I thought this one would be a hit too. Not so much. I felt like the rhymes were often a little forced. If you are looking for counting books, there are better options.
Heather
An early number book that introduces numbers beyond ten. Sometimes that can be hard to come by especially appropriate books for little little guys who already have 1-12 under their belt.
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Ten Black Dots
  • black is brown is tan
  • The Tiny Seed
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten?
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • Mouse Paint
  • Bear Feels Sick
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka ABC