Start by marking “Calling All Engines (Thomas & Friends)” as Want to Read:
Calling All Engines (Thomas & Friends)

Calling All Engines (Thomas & Friends)

Thomas and the Really Useful Engines are working hard getting the new airport ready for the grand opening. Then a terrible storm slows them down, and soon it is clear that all the engines are going to have to work together. The steamies and the diesels have never gotten along very well, but Lady appears in Thomas’ dream and tells him it will be all right. But can they coun ...more
Published December 8th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published August 23rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Calling All Engines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling All Engines

midnightfaerie
Jul 12, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I'm probably almost as sick of Thomas the Tank Engine as I am of Spongebob, but like I've said before, anything to get my kid's interested in books. This was another typical marketing ploy by a children's company. Pretty pictures to call attention to the kiddie's but not a lot of substance. Which it makes it boring for the children to listen to and tedious for the adults to read. It was an okay book.
Wooden Horse
I'm not sure what I could say about Thomas the Tank Engine other than he has been around for 60 years and kids still love him. I'm not all that thrilled that this edition features an advertisement for a DVD adaptation of the book on its inside cover. I am glad however that my 2 1/2 year old cousin's favorite part of the whole Thomas experience is the song they sing at the beginning of each episode. He insisted we sing it before we turned the title page to start the story. "They're two they're fo ...more
Stephanie Shaw
Oct 28, 2015 Stephanie Shaw rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby
My son (a toddler) loves listening to me read, and he absolutely loves picture books. He will choose to read a book above almost any other activity. However, we both had a hard time staying interested in this book from start to finish. The storyline is bland at best, and the book is really wordy and a bit too complicated for a toddler to comprehend. I would not recommend this book, at least for a toddler.
Rosa Cline
Apr 24, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I have read many Thomas the Tank Engine books and they are all good, but this one is probably one of my favorite. At first the diesel and the steam engines all are fighting and arguing but not until something horrible happens that they realize they need to work together and become friends! Very well written!
K.
Feb 15, 2014 K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to teach children about the importance of teamwork and that it is ok to work with those who are different from us. My kids thoroughly enjoyed this story of Thomas and his friends coming together to work with the steam engines.
Cassi
Dec 05, 2010 Cassi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
Could use this book for learning about TRANSPORTATION in pre-k and kindergarten. This is a good read aloud any ways.
Anita
My son loves Thomas books, and this story is a decent one about getting past our differences and accomplishing things together.
Cws
May 19, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: je
JE-Awd
Andrea
Jan 16, 2008 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
One of the better Thomas books, it at least has a plot and a point. And Quartz loves it.
Cindi
Dec 15, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I've read this one A LOT lately!
Necia
Necia rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2013
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Asante
Asante rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2017
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
May 05, 2011
Valerie Voss
Valerie Voss rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Katja
Katja rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2013
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2009
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Ethan M
Ethan M rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Calvin
Calvin rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2009
Lou Ann
Lou Ann rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Wilbert Vere Awdry, OBE, better known as the Rev. W. Awdry, was an English clergyman, railway enthusiast and children's author, and creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, who starred in Awdry's acclaimed Railway Series.

The characters that would make Awdry famous, and the first stories featuring them, were invented in 1943 to amuse his son Christopher during a bout of measles. The first book (The Three
More about Wilbert Awdry...