Basil of Baker Street

Basil of Baker Street (Basil of Baker Street #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  476 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Basil--famous sleuth of mousedom--lived in the cellar of Sherlock Holmes' house. A devoted admirer of the great detective, he had learned his craft by listening at the feet of Holmes himself. The Mystery of the Missing Twins was one of the strangest cases in Basil's career. He had only a few crumbs of clues with which to find solutions to such baffling questions as: Who ha...more
Published August 23rd 1989 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Basil of Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basil of Baker Street

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickHarriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
44th out of 139 books — 217 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Read-Aloud Chapter Books
171st out of 442 books — 844 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
I’m sorry to admit that as much as I have always love Disney’s Great Mouse Detective, this the first time I have read this book. I don’t know why I never picked it up as a child, but I didn’t.
It is a mouse version of Sherlock with nice tie ins to the Sherlock stories. A bit moralistic at the end – don’t talk to strangers you hear. But good fun.
Sheila Beaumont
Basil is the Sherlock Holmes of the Mouse World. His friend and associate Dr. Dawson narrates the story. Mrs. Judson is their mousekeeper. The mouse detective has learned his sleuthing skills by listening to Sherlock Holmes tell Dr. Watson how he solved his cases. Basil takes notes in shortpaw. Basil and Dr. Dawson live in the mouse village, Holmestead, in the cellar at 221B Baker Street. In this book Basil solves the kidnapping of the mouse twins Angela and Agatha. Children will enjoy this book...more
Amanda
After watching the great Disney movie The Great Mouse Detectives I decided to look up some fanart. Suddenly I kept hearing about some book about Basil, so I looked it up here on Goodreads, and sure enough it's a book. The next time I visited the library I looked for it and to my great delight it was there. It was a very easy read. My forgotten childhood hero rose to new heights. A really great kids book and another great mystery to add to my small shelf. I usually don't willingly read mysteries...more
Jen
For fans of Sherlock Holmes and the Disney film about Basil, this is a great and incredibly easy read. I love how the author nonchalantly creates her mouse detective as a Holmes miniature, paying homage along the way and every now and then throwing in the considerations one must take to be a mouse. Also, Dawson is not nearly as bumbling as Disney made him, the which I totally approve of. Basil is a cleaned up, caring version of Holmes; as the author wishes, a great bridge to the grown-up's detec...more
Stephanie
Great children's book. Similar to Sherlock Holmes, but written for elementary-aged kids, with a mouse detective (Basil) and a mouse sidekick (Dr. Dawson) and lots of other mouse characters. Looks like My Father's Dragon in terms of length, size of type, and number of words on a page, but has lots of high-level vocabulary. Written back in the 50's so a bit old-fashioned, and I mean that in a good way.
Sydney
Really good for kids! This was one of my favorites, along with Ghost in the Third Row, when I was just starting to read (I really hated reading, but you would know an interesting book if I actually kept with it.) This is short and quick enough to keep a kid engaged and it's about mice in clothes! Who wouldn't like it??
Kevin Magpoc
I'm reminded of "Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos" (written far before this book) in which it is revealed that Franklin was actually heavily inspired by a mouse friend. "Basil of Baker Street" works the other way around - it tells the story of a mouse who lives with Sherlock Holmes, though presumably unbeknownst to Holmes himself, and idolizes him to the point of actually going out and solving crimes and mysteries in the mouse world. So what you get her...more
Lindsay Stares
Marya
The pictures are kind of weird; for anthropomorphic mice, their faces look a little too mouse-y. Where are their mouths??! Maybe that's just because I saw the Disney movie based on this book (the Great Mouse Detective) first. The story itself is fine and works as a great introduction to the world of Sherlock Holmes for small children.

Still, I'm not sure I kept this book because I liked it, or because I spilled blood on it while I was at the hospital.
Drew Graham
Basil of Baker Street is the Sherlock Holmes of the Mouse World. Living with a community of mice in the cellar of his idol, Basil has learned the tricks of the deduction trade and hasn't yet met with a case he couldn't solve. When the Proudfoot twins Angela and Agatha go missing, it's up to Basil and his associate Dawson to find out who took them and why, and to get them back!

I've reached The Great Mouse Detective in my Disney source material read-through, and until now I had always thought that...more
ThenSingsMySoul
Feb 07, 2014 ThenSingsMySoul rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Small Children who have a fascination with mice and/or Sherlock Holmes
I read this book because I loved the Disney movie of the same name. When I found it had first been a book I had to get my hands on it. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it before seeing the movie. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more if I were younger.

The thing of it is, this book is very much a children's book. I do not mean that as a negative necessarily, there have been many children's books I enjoyed immensely and will continue to read the rest of my life. But this was not...more
Tarissa
"The Mystery of the Missing Twins could never have been solved by an ordinary detective."
(...that is the first sentence of the cutest mouse book ever...)

Basil is a mouse with a nose for solving problems, just like his hero, Sherlock Holmes. In this story, Basil and his comrade, "Dr. Dawson", are presented with The Mystery of the Missing Twins---a quaint storyline that all little children will love---and adults will too. The author, Eve Titus, so clearly depicts the true Holmes through Basil's de...more
Amanda Wheet
While there is no Ratigan in this first book, we get the jist of Basil and Dr. Dawson. An enjoyable read, and I actually think the plot of this would have worked better for The Great Mouse Detective, rather than the attempt to overthrow the Queen. However, I still enjoy The Great Mouse Detective for all that it symbolized and the era of films it rang in. To Oliver and Company we go!
Carrie
Cute story based on Sherlock Holmes... of the mouse world. As someone who grew up reading every Sherlock story I could get my hands on, I think this is a super fun way to get children started on his stories (in a simple way), a bit earlier.
Amy
I had read this book, or others in the series, about 15 years ago. Was a huge fan of them. It was my first introduction to Sherlock Holmes, though a weak one, and I have no memory of them aside from the art work. The start is a little rough and a bit boring. If missing twins is the most challenging case of his career, I'd hate to read about the other cases!

The story did pick up towards the middle and kept the pace going nicely to the end. I might pick up a few of the other ones and see if they i...more
Samira
A great introduction to Sherlock Holmes. This is a fun way to introduce kids to mysteries and get them interested in the master himself.
Beth Anne
Read aloud to Emma. Very fun. Fond childhood memories.
S. J.
*4 Stars*

*The Gush*
The book that was the inspiration for Disney's The Great Mouse Detective. A excellent adaptation of Sherlock Holmes for children, I first read it in High School and loved it then. It's been awhile and I can't remember much about it, but it is well worth a read.

*Conclusion*
If you like The Great Mouse Detective, read it.
Bechamp
This is a fun series. I'm a big Holmes fan, and this is a cool take on it for children. The illustrations are wonderful, and both the author and illustrator have great senses of humor. If you're going to buy them, however, buy the hardcovers. The paperback I read was really poorly reproduced; the illustrations were badly effected.
Jenny
Basil is the mouse-counterpart of Dr. Sherlock Holmes, and his stories are told from the viewpoint of his friend and colleague, Dr. David Q. Dawson. They are silly, cute, and imaginative little stories, perfect for whetting the appetite for future Holmes readers.
Suggested for ages 5 - 8 (ish).
Ryan Ceresnak
A fun little book I remember reading as a kid. Now as an adult, I see it as a great introduction for kids into the world of Sherlock Holmes - Once they fall in love with Basil, hopefully they'll want to explore the stories of the greatest detective of the human world.
Trish
If younger kids (2nd-3rd grade, maybe) like mysteries or Sherlock Holmes type stuff, they'll like this. It's a quick read, lots of pictures - but definitely old-school. Good for parents looking for "good books" for their kids. I read it in about half an hour...
Christina
We have read this and four other Basil books. The title character is a mouse version of Sherlock Holmes. The Disney movie "The Great Mouse Detective" was inspired by these books.
I've owned this book for a couple of decades and never taken the time to read it. Very cute introduction to Sherlock Holmes and mystery stories geared towards juveniles.
Jeremiah
Mar 03, 2010 Jeremiah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes fans who have children
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. As a fan of Sherlock Holmes I hope that my son will pick up this book and series as a bridge to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work
Peter
Fun read for adults, fairly engaging for kids. Good vocabulary and sophisticated sentence structure, read aloud 8-11, read alone 10-12.
Bev Hankins
It was fun to read the story behind The Great Mouse Detective. As always Disney had its own take on things. Both are very enjoyable.
Tammy
This series was my favorite as a small child. Started reading these books when I was about 6.
Rainey
So much fun. How wonderful it would have been for me to have found this book as a child :)
Emily
Basil of Baker Street is the mouse emulator of Sherlock Holmes, aided by his associate Dr. Dawson.
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • Ben and Me: An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin by His Good Mouse Amos
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Red Demon
  • The Breath of God (Sherlock Holmes)
Eve Titus was the author of numerous bestselling and beloved children's books.

Her most famous characters include Anatole, a French mouse and Basil of Baker Street, a mouse who works as a private eye. Her book, Anatole, won the 1957 Caldecott Honor Book award.

She died in 2002 in Orlando, Florida.
More about Eve Titus...
Anatole (Anatole #1) Anatole and the Cat Basil and the Pygmy Cats Anatole Over Paris Basil in Mexico