National Geographic Readers: Dinosaurs

National Geographic Readers: Dinosaurs (National Geographic Readers)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  10 reviews
There's nothing more fascinating than dinosaurs. In this Level 1 reader, youngsters learn all about the terrifying giants that once roamed the Earth—maybe even as close as their own backyard! They'll be wowed by new information and eye-popping illustrations from National Geographic, a trusted source of children's nonfiction content.

National Geographic supports K-12 educato...more
Published April 12th 2011 by National Geographic Children's Books

Brad
This is my third National Geographic Reader this week (I have to complete the goodreads reading challenge someway, and what better way than to catch up on the books my kids were reading earlier this year). To my surprise, the quality has been all over the place. I started with Sharks, which was tons of fun, and then I read Trains, which was a steaming pile of crap; Dinosaurs sits right in the middle.

It achieves what it sets out to achieve -- though not necessarily what it should have been achiev...more
Miloš & Brontë
Miloš: I really liked it.

Pa: Really? You didn't love it?

Miloš: No, I really liked it?

Pa: Interesting. So why didn't you love it?

Miloš: Umm ... cause it wasn't a number three book.

Pa: You mean it wasn't hard enough?

Miloš: No, but that would still be easy for me because I've already read a really huge book.

Pa: What book was that?

Miloš: Iron Giant

Pa: That is a pretty big book. You liked stuff in it, though.

Miloš: I liked how the dinosaurs walked on their toes. How their necks were curved.

Pa: Why...more
Lauren
Fiction Twin Text:
Dinosaurs Love Underpants
By: Claire Freedman
Copyright: 2009

Rationale: I chose to link these two books to focus on the difference between fiction and non-fiction literature. Dinosaurs by Kathy Zoefeld offers information about these prehistoric creatures at a primary level, while still including many non-fiction features. Dinosaurs Love Underpants in a colorful and imaginative fictional book that playfully talks about how the dinosaurs actually became extinct fighting over under...more
Renee
Here's what my son and I have to say. For more of our reviews, please visit us at http://motherdaughterbookreviews.com

SON SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about:

I’ve read lots of dinosaur books before but this one taught me new things like dinosaurs didn’t have fur and I learned about what they ate. They also talked about dinosaurs I had never heard of before like the Buitreraptor. I had also never seen the Microraptor before. I thought it was cool that they showed how big a dinosaur was compared...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/7/11 -

Unless the child you plan on giving/reading this to is learning to read at about, say, two years old, pass on this.
I'm usually quite forgiving about dino information being basic. Just because Julia is a self-proclaimed dinosaur expert doesn't mean all kids are after all. But this is far, far, too easy for even a toddler. Unless that toddler is just now being introduced to dinosaurs as a whole, with this book.
I support National Geographic and N.G. Kids but this is a...more
Bari
My 4 year old nephew, like many boys his age, is interested in Dinosaurs. While many of the books of the market are to sophisticated for him, this one seemed to be perfect. The language the author uses keeps the reader interested, informs them about dinosaurs and yet is simple enough for the youngest reader. This makes a nice read aloud book for those non readers as well.

Natalie
Most of the book was alright with some basic info. The boys seemed to like it. I struggled with the last two pages though - chickens are dinosaurs and if you want a dinosaur as a pet, go and buy a budgie.
Teri
great for young children--easy to understand and presents solid scientific concepts.
Stephanie Tercero
I would add this book to a school library.
Erica
Erica added it
May 22, 2014
Givememybooks
Givememybooks marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
National Geographic Readers: Rocks and Minerals National Geographic Kids Chapters: Crocodile Encounters: and More True Stories of Adventures with Animals