Start by marking “Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West” as Want to Read:
Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West

Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1822, before Jedediah Smith entered the West, it was largely an unknown land, “a wilderness,” he wrote, “of two thousand miles diameter.” During his nine years as a trapper for Ashley and Henry and later for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, “the mild and Christian young man” blazed the trail westward through South Pass; he was the first to go from the Missouri overland t ...more
Published June 1st 1964 by Bison Books

To ask other readers questions about Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jedediah Smith and the Opening of the West

Mike (the Paladin)
I (can) read fairly fast and do so when I get several library books that show up at once. (You know you have over the last 2 or 3 weeks sent for maybe 7 books...and they all show up on the same day). This is a library book, and still have 5 more waiting or in progress, 7 if you count the audios.

This is one I'd liked to have lingered over more. I am what is usually called a "history buff". In other words I have no "degree" but I love history, especially American history. I minored in history and
booklady
Jun 03, 2008 booklady marked it as someday
Bought this book a few years ago (at the Western Hertiage Museum) when my family and I first watched the series, "Into the West" because I was so struck by what a good Christian man Jedediah Smith was. Got it out again and I'm determined to read it this time.
John
Jedediah Smith traveled back and forth across the area from St Louis to southern California, to the mouth of the Columbia, and back again. His survival was amazing as was his death near Kenton Oklahoma.
Wes
The author does an excellent job of collecting information from many sources and weaving it into an interesting biography of an incredible man.
Rick
Interesting history, surprising to see how many names of streams and rivers arise from these early explorers.
Bob Alexander
Good examination of an amazing pioneer explorer.
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Rachel Thomas
Rachel Thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Mark Ó Congalaig
Mark Ó Congalaig marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Delaney
Delaney marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Jun 16, 2014
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Ronnie Roswell
Ronnie Roswell marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Dougal
Dougal added it
May 18, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Overland in 1846, Volume 1: Diaries and Letters of the California-Oregon Trail The Great Salt Lake Overland in 1846, Volume 2: Diaries and Letters of the California-Oregon Trail Rand McNally's Pioneer Atlas of the American West The Humboldt: Highroad of the West (Rivers of America, #23)