The Shrinking of Treehorn

The Shrinking of Treehorn (The Adventures of Treehorn)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Poor Treehorn's problem is politely ignored by his parents and barely tolerated by his teachers.
Published January 1st 1988 by Holiday House (first published June 1st 1971)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Kids Books Ever
283rd out of 569 books — 378 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Wayward Gifted by Donna K. ChildreeThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisFablehaven by Brandon Mull
Great Read-Aloud Fantasy Books
104th out of 159 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Doug
my little brother's been nagging me to read this for a couple of weeks now, so i finally gave it a chance and read it this morning in about half an hour. I love the way this is written! ms heide has a really matter-of-fact manner of writing that's just so refreshing to read! i honestly can't complain at all, i loved this, and the way she threads magic into the plot so casually and seamlessly. treehorn is also the sweetest thing. definitely worth 5 stars
Sarah Sammis
My local library is full of surprises in the form of funky, old books. In the children's section I saw a title that instantly struck my fancy: The Shrinking of Treehorn by Florence Parry Heide. When I pulled the book off the shelf and saw the distinctive Edward Gorey illustration, I knew I had to read it.

Literally the book is about Treehorn who one days for no apparent reason begins to shrink. He can't get any adult to listen to him when he says he's shrinking. His parents get annoyed that he ca...more
Amy
Quirky fantasy tale about a boy who shrinks - when the adults around him notice, they all react in very unhelpful, self-absorbed ways.
Treehorn finally solves the problem himself - by finishing the board game he'd ordered from a cereal box top!

Maybe I'm eating the wrong kind of cereal, but it seems like I had more opportunities to get free prizes or order things when I was a kid...at least, from my cereal boxes.

I picked this story up because of the Edward Gorey drawings.
Lucia
This great and subtly sarcastic, humorous book is wonderful. I searched for it as the author passed away recently and I was not familiar with her work. GRHS. I must look for more. Good old Treehorn.
Tawny
Mar 21, 2008 Tawny rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Sabina
Author: Florence Parry Heidi
Illustrator: Edward Goney
Title: The Shrinking of Treehorn
Genre: children’s fantasy
Publication Info: Holiday House. New York. 1971.
Recommended Age: 8 and up

Plot Summary: Treehorn is a little boy who finds himself slowly shrinking. His clothes get bigger and it is harder for him to reach things. At first no one believes him when he tells them he is shrinking. Then they realize just how small he has become. Even his bus driver and teacher do not recognize him at first. H...more
Cynthia
I really like the style of writing. I found this book lying in a cardboard box, getting ready to be trashed, but I haven't read any sort of voice like this in a while. To me, it closely mimics the exact version of the author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. This earns a full 5 starts, hands down, because it teaches us all, with illustrations and worded text, that adults pay no attention to children indeed! In fact, many of us are so apathetic about our children, that they even realize how t...more
Jane
One of my all-time favorite children's books. Hilarious, absurdist humor. Depicts a child's feeling of not being noticed by the adults in his life. Wonderful drawings too.
Elaina
Young Treehorn discovers one day that he is shrinking. Is that even possible? Aren't children supposed to grow and not shrink?

After finally convincing his oblivious parents that he is indeed getting smaller, Treehorn attempts to continue living his life. Things, however, aren't as simple as they used to be. Treehorn even gets sent to the Principle's office for jumping to reach the water fountain at school!

Why is Treehorn shrinking? And, does it have anything to do with that mysterious game he p...more
Sarca
Here's a weird story: this book was at our elementary school library and either my sisor I had taken it out once and never brought it back. I'm not sure how this happened, but a total clean-out of our stuff (closets, under bed, toy box, etc) we found the copy of Treehorn. I think I still have it somewhere...

Gorey's drawings totally scared and intrigued me as a kid. This story was a little funky: Treehorn (odd name for starters) is shrinking (literally) and everyone notices, but no one will pull...more
Coqueline
I borrowed this book from the library when I was 4 (sometime in 1982), and haven't returned it ever since (sorry, library).

I didn't really get it when I first took it home, but it made sense much later on on my childhood, and it is one book that I will always remember as *the* book of my childhood. Not because my parents ignored me, but I think I learned my first love of Edward Gorey and his dark humour from this book.

I would definitely make sure my child have this book on her shelf.
Patricia
Sep 29, 2008 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Patricia by: my children
one of my favorite books of all time....all the treehorn books - edward gory and ms. heide, what a combo!
all people adults and children should read all of the treehorn series....they are so sardonic and so british and address the weird things children think about and don't talk to adults about.
but all people should read everthing edward gory has illustrated and written.
Val
Esther
Browsing the picture books at the library to get another pile for Annika, I came across this which I remember reading when I was a child. I remember some of the Edward Gory illustrations quite vividly. I wonder how the indifference of the parents, albeit exaggerated for comedy, goes down now with todays children with helicopter over-scheduling parents.
Maxwell
Reminds me of flat Stanley, great read aloud
Callie Rose Tyler
The concept of this book is actually quite sad. This little boy is shrinking and nobody seems to care, not his mother or father or teacher not even his friends. Yet it is cleverly written and well told (even if I thought it dragged on a little too long for my liking).

Not Gorey's best art in my opinion.
Dianna
Treehorn is shrinking, but his parents barely notice or care. No one does. Luckily Treehorn happens upon the solution himself.

This book is odd. The humor is a bit off-kilter, but very subtle. My son took it all very seriously and was completely engrossed.
Rachelccameron
This is a really cute story. I thought it was going to end up like that Buffy episode where the girl becomes invisible because everyone ignores her... but it doesn't. It's kind of like Jumanji in that there is a board game involved.
Beverly
Slyly pokes fun at the establishment be describing the tribulations of an ordinary boy, who, for no apparent reason, starts to shrink. Narrated in a dead-pan style with black and white ink illustrations to match; off-beat humor.
Cheryl in CC NV
A satire of the relationships between lonely little children and self-cnetered adults? Compare to Imogene's Antlers....
Anne Frisbie
very short book that I read to the kids but it is great. really shows people who are going through the motion of life but not living. probably even more - or at least as - enjoyable for adults.
Phoebe
A classic, happy to say we still have this in the library. Funny book about a mysteriously shrinking boy and the busy, unobservant adults around him. Edward Gorey illustrations.
Amar Pai
Hard to dislike anything Gorey illustrates, but this is a fairly minor tale. Boy shrinks, yadda yadda magic, boy grows back. I was bored by the perfunctory ending.
Cynthia
A little boy is shrinking, and his parents and teachers are too preoccupied with their own problems to notice. Illustrations by the late, great Edward Gorey.
Judy
A fabulous book with fabulous Edward Gorey illustrations. Treehorn's Treasure is even better! http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/98...
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Odd little story about a boy who shrinks because of a game from a cereal box and parents that won't listen or believe him... love the illustrations of course!
Jane
Feb 06, 2013 Jane marked it as to-read
I want to read this, or at any rate to own it. See here

Laura Morrigan
I read this as a child, I was very young, I think. I can't remember it very well and would love to read it again. I remember it being quite quirky.
Ivan
Funny little story about a boy who is shrinking and the grown-ups who fail to notice. Terrific illustrations by Edward Gorey.
Howie
Too good. I read this one over and over when I was little. This one is the best in the Treehorn Trilogy.
Holly Lindquist
An eccentric little book with perfect illustrations by our Mr. Gorey. A quick read, but quite fun.
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • Quirky Tails (Uncollected)
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Clarice Bean, That's Me!
  • Storm Boy
  • Warrior Scarlet
  • The Haunting (Puffin Books)
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Please Mrs Butler
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • The Object-Lesson
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • The Young Visiters
  • The Little Grey Men
  • Amazon Adventure
"What do I like about writing for children? Everything," says Florence Parry Heide, the award-winning author of more than sixty children’s books, including the classic THE SHRINKING OF TREEHORN, illustrated by Edward Gorey. "I like the connection with children," the author says. "I like the connection with all kinds of book people. And I like the connection with my childhood self, which is the mos...more
More about Florence Parry Heide...
Princess Hyacinth (The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated) The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish Dillweed's Revenge: A Deadly Dose of Magic Always Listen to Your Mother Sami and the Time of the Troubles