Start by marking “The Hostage Queen” as Want to Read:
The Hostage Queen

The Hostage Queen

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Marguerite de Valois is the most beautiful woman in the French Court and the subject of great scandal and intrigue. Her own brothers: the mad Charles IX and the bisexual Henri III, will stop at nothing to control her. Margot loves Henri of Guise but is married off to the Huguenot Henry of Navarre. By this means her mother Catherine de Medici hopes to bring peace to the rea ...more
Published 2010

To ask other readers questions about The Hostage Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostage Queen

Rebecca Huston
This was a book that I really wanted to like, but try as I could, I could not get past the major flaws in this one, and they are pretty big. Mostly, the author spends a great deal of the book telling me what is happening, not showing it to me, and there was so much squandered possibilities there to create a really great novel. Too, it felt very much like a retelling of Alexandre Dumas' La Reine Margot. It just did not work, and that's too bad.

For the longer review, please go to:
Susan
This novel is about Margot of Valois, who's forced by her ruthless mother, Catherine de Medici, to marry Henry of Navarre despite her love for Henri, duc de Guise. As the tensions between the Catholics and the Huguenots constantly threaten to explode, Margot must navigate the treacherous French court, where her three brothers are constantly scheming against each other and Margot.

I found this novel disappointing. There's comparatively little dialogue, and much of it is of the expository, "As you
Terry
This was a very good book. I enjoyed the author's writing style. I am going to try a few other of her books. She made the character of Queen Margot come alive for me. I need to do some research now to see if she lives happily ever after. I am looking forward to reading her next book - Reluctant Queen which I believe continues the story.

(4.5/5)
Rio (Lynne)
I enjoyed this (not very publicized book.) Luckily being on Goodreads, it was brought to my attention. There is a lot of history packed into all 260 pages. It helps to know a bit about it before you read it. It is about Marguerite de Valois. Catherine de Medici's stubborn and beautiful daughter. I assumed by the title, it covered the years Margo was imprisoned by her brother Henry III in the castle of Usson, where she spent eighteen years. Instead, it covers the earlier part of her life where sh ...more
Dawn
I got into this book right away, it had a great beginning. It was just the last 1/8th of the book that hit the rocks for me. I've seen it happen too many times to count, the end is in sight so the author seems to rush things along and it's just too fast and furious. It loses it's substance somehow and seems like a cop out to me. I have to wonder why. Are they just tired of writing it? So sick of the story and research they're just ready for it to be done? The story loses something when it ramps ...more
Vivienne
After reading C. M. Gortner's novel about Catherine d'Medici I wanted to read a novel featuring her daughter Margot but didn't wish to read Dumas. I found this novel rather lacklustre.

While some sections were fine and the author does write the love scenes very well too much of the book felt like reading non-fiction making for a rather patchy pace. Catherine is so obviously the baddie here and the ending just sort of happened. I would have appreciated an author's note rounding out Margot's histo
SWC
I do enjoy historical fiction. The story was full of much palace intrigue. Interesting to me was that the storyline only dealt with the main character through age 25.
Miss Melly
Poor Margot - the cards were stacked against her from the beginning. With a mother like Catherine Di Medici, what chance did she have?
Married off to a man she initially despised, Margot learned to make the best of her situation and use her wits to carve herself a life she could tolerate.
I adore Margot and think Ms Lightfoot did a wonderful job in turning her into a flesh & blood character.
Reluctant Queen is the second book in this trilogy.
Shiela
A story about Margot de Valois, the daughter of Catherine de Medici, who is cruelly used as a pawn by her mother and brothers (the King(s) of France).

After reading a few books about Catherine de Medici herself, this seems very boring and long winded. Many parts of the novel seemed to drag on and read almost like a textbook rather than a fiction book. You do feel sorry for Margot but not enough to really care.

There is better (and more exciting) historical fiction out there.
Rachel
A light read, but nothing special. Margot's actions and desires, such as her love for de Guise and and her sudden respect for Navarre upon becoming his wife aren't well grounded in character development.
Denise
I love reading about Catherine deMedici and her family, this book did not disappoint.
Mary Spila
An entertaining, and fairly good historically. Margot was a very interesting woman/
Booklady
Booklady marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Carley Cesare
Carley Cesare marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Samantha Gillen
Samantha Gillen marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Loverofbooks
Loverofbooks marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Juliew.
Juliew. marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Asa Nagatani
Asa Nagatani marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Librarianlady
Librarianlady marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Bookishlady
Bookishlady marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Austenladyx
Austenladyx marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Scarlett Storer-roe
Scarlett Storer-roe marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Louis the Well Beloved (French Revolution, #1)
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Queen of Bedlam
  • The French Mistress: A Novel of the Duchess of Portsmouth and King Charles II
  • Mary of Carisbrooke: The Girl Who Would Not Betray Her King
  • Courtesan
  • I Am the Chosen King (The Saxon Series #2)
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
Born in Lancashire, I've been a teacher, bookseller and in a mad moment, a smallholder on the freezing fells of the Lake District where I tried my hand at the ‘good life’, kept sheep and hens, various orphaned cats and dogs, built drystone walls, planted a small wood and even learned how to make jam. I have now given up my thermals to build a house in an olive grove in Spain, where I produce my ow ...more
More about Freda Lightfoot...
Reluctant Queen The Queen and the Courtesan The Duchess of Drury Lane The Promise House Of Angels