Start by marking “Over on the Dry Side” as Want to Read:
Over on the Dry Side

Over on the Dry Side (The Talon and Chantry series #7)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The abandoned cabin seemed like a good place to settle down . . . except for the dead man in the front yard. But Doby Kernohan and his father had traveled a long way seeking a new start, and they were in no position to be choosy. Unfortunately, the mysterious man’s violent end was an omen of darker events to come, for a cycle of violence that had begun long ago was about t ...more
Published September 28th 2004 by Bantam (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Over on the Dry Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over on the Dry Side

Jeff Dickison
Good L'Amour tale as Owen Chantry must revenge his brother's death while fighting off bad guys and hunting for a supposed treasure. And at the same time he must win fair maiden's hand. Well told with lots of action. Recommended to western fans!
Ryan Mishap
Pa muttered something about new beginnings, and, louder, how he hoped we were done with killing. That word echoed shrieks and wailing in the canyon of my memory, but I dutifully ignored those unwelcome reverberations and repeated what Mother had said.
“Life feeds on life and the new consumes the old.”
“So say your philosophers but mine have a different way of looking at things,” Pa said, cut his eyes at me quick, and then leaned forward, hands maybe gripping tighter like he had to rein the wago
Mistydawn Thrash
This was a typical Louis L'amour book. Western, rough country, bad men vs one good man, tormented past that is never quite revealed, beautiful girl, a homestead full of trials and triumph. The only thing different about this particular story then the others I have divulged in was the use of a great poet, Tennyson. I enjoyed that angle of the book very much. Knowing that in a wild frontier a book can be considered as valuable as gold made me smile. There is hope for mankind yet, even in the midst ...more
Gary Smith
L'Amours writing is excellent in this short book. But then, his writing is always excellent.
Villager
This tells the story of the old west from the perspective of a 16-year old kid. The story has all of the classic elements of any good western (bad guys, good guys, creating future from the land, Indians, and even a romance with a potential triangle aspect that includes some jealousy). I enjoyed this Louis L'Amour book and recommend it for anyone that enjoys Westerns ... or enjoys L'Amour.
Jody
Read the book for a book club. So this is Louis L'Amour - whatever. Writing style was pretty simplistic, but the plot moved along. Seem predictable with repetitive descriptions. Nothing special that I'd recommend to another adult. Fast read that a middle school student might enjoy.
Jeff Anderson
Puppy love wars with hero worship. A young man with little experience finds a hero, but then has conflicting feelings when his hero becomes his competition for the hand of a fair maiden. Good story, bad guys get killed, good guys get married, slightly boring.
Fredrick Danysh
Doby Kemohan and his father settle down in an abandoned cabin. Except for the dead man in the front yard, it is an idea location, or so it seems. They get caught in a fight involving murder, greed, and vengeance and have to deal with a circle of violence.
Lan B
I thiught it was a good book. A boy thought that Owen was trying to take a girl, and he wanted. It had a lot of details and stuff. It is from the cowboy period.It is fun reading this book becaue it had a lot of shooting in it and that is a lot of action.
Collin Stewart
Another enjoyable L'Amour story. It takes place in my "backyard" and descriptions of the locations are well done. A standard L'Amour plot, strong, silent, self-reliant stranger, girl in trouble, lots of bad guys, etc. read it and enjoy.
David Stearman
Typical, good L'amour. What can I say? Nice shoot-em-up.
Angela
not terrible, not his best work. Didn't find the characters particularly likable but the story moved at a decent pace and wasn't long.
David
I have not read a Louis L'Amour book I did not like. This book included.
You should check it out of you like westerns.
Charles
Involves the Chantry family, one of L'Amour's primary fictional families.
Michael
once you start a louis l'amour book you just can't put it down.

Nick
A very enjoyable Louis L'Amour book. His reads are always fun.
John Worthington
I liked the book but I have read better Louis books.
Jacob
wonderful story of a father and son claiming their land and keeping bandits from running them off
Doug
E
Cws
W L'Am
Suchitra
Suchitra marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
April Blaine
April Blaine marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • Desert Gold
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Mississippi! (Wagons West, #15)
  • Carry the Wind
  • Forty Lashes Less One
  • Law of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #5)
  • The Untamed
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods