Start by marking “Little Men: Life at Plumfield With Jo's Boys” as Want to Read:
Little Men: Life at Plumfield With Jo's Boys

Little Men: Life at Plumfield With Jo's Boys (Little Women #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  40,277 Ratings  ·  1,197 Reviews
With two sons of her own, and twelve rescued orphan boys filling the informal school at Plumfield, Jo March -- now Jo Bhaer -- couldn't be happier. But despite the warm and affectionate help of the whole March family, boys have a habit of getting into scrapes, and there are plenty of troubles and adventures in store.
Published 1945 by Little, Brown, and Company (first published January 1st 1871)

To ask other readers questions about Little Men, please sign up.

Soumia Conan she has 4 sisters the same thing in her story little women:
do you see something??
In the novel : little women there are 4 sisters
Megbeth March
Josephine March (Louisa
Elizabeth March ( the same name of Louisa's sister)
May March (the same name also)
(less)
Gabriellyn No. Plumfield is a purely fictional school. I agree though, it would be a great school!

Jesse
There is not another book in all of literature that I hold as dear as this one; I never expect to find another that gives me half as much pleasure. It would be impossible to count how many times I've read it over the years (it has to be dozens and dozens by now), and it remains a locale of constant pilgrimage, as I still return to it at least once a year. I'm always a bit nervous whenever I take it up again that my education of postmodern "isms" will have made me suddenly immune to its charms (a ...more
Fabian
Jan 04, 2017 Fabian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Do yourself a favor, oh learned reader: if you love Jo* from "Little Women" with as much fervor as her progenitor, Bronson Alcott's famed daughter, then do not read this sequel. Its like the "Go Set a Watchman" of its time. But worse! Uninspired drudge: makes compelling argument about why girls lead more substantial, pretty lives than nasty ass booger-faced boys.

* She allows the little ladies-in-a-making cook for & entertain the little men at Plumfield. ENCOURAGES IT. Yucky.
Travelling Sunny
When I was in the 5th grade, my mother gave me this book. Granted, it was an abridged version for children, but it was a CHAPTER BOOK, and was REALLY LONG, and was the first - absolute first - classic story that I'd ever read. I spent the next two years reading this book over and over again.

I remember having a Snoopy sticker - the nicest sticker I'd ever seen of Snoopy - and stuck it to the front cover of my book to mark it as my own.

30 years later, I read Little Women. Which I loved. And a week
SailingByAshBreeze
I found this book to be even more entertaining and heart-warming than Little Women (and I loved, loved, loved that book!). Little Women, of course, is a pre-requisite to Little Men. However, my 10 year old boy read Little Men first and still absolutely fell in love with the book and all the characters. Now, he is inspired to read Little Women (something he felt sure boys would not read)
My 13 year old girl read Jo's boys (sequel to Little Men)---loved it as well!

Here is my Little Men review I pos
Kathy
Sep 23, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed these classic books. They were originally written for older children and the easy language and innocent themes reflect this. This is the 3rd in the Little Women series and follows the lives of grown-up Jo, her husband and the 12 boys and 2 girls that she teaches in her boarding school. It is full of traditional morals and is highly didactic. It is essentially a collection of short stories. As a mother, these books remind me of some of the traditional values that I want to t ...more
Chicklet
Sep 16, 2007 Chicklet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, historical
Someone once told me that Little Men was written before Little Women. When she tried to get it published she was refused. She was told that the public wanted a story about young ladies from a woman, not young men. It was after that, that she wrote Little Women. Sometime after that became a huge success she published Little Men...I'm not certain if she found someone to publish it for finally resorted to doing it herself. This motivated me to find and read Little Men which was good....and with th ...more
Chelsea
Little Men is, technically, the sequel to Little Women and picks up a good numbers of years later, after Jo March and her husband, Professor Bhaer, as they start their school at Plumfield, the house that originally was owned by Jo’s Aunt March. The novel opens when Nat, a street-bound boy with an amazing ability to play the violin beautifully, shows up on Jo’s doorstep, and from then on out the story features a stable but large group of kids and their kind and guiding adult influences. The Bhaer ...more
Stephen
Lovable hoyden Jo from Little Women has grown up and married and, along with her Germanic Bhaer of a husband, now runs a school for boys at Plumfield. In addition to her own children she's got 12 little men that she's lovingly shaping and wants to add some girls to the mix as well. Through a series of vignettes we see Jo and her charges through a series of adventures where the March family continue their almost too good to be true development of "real family values" in post civil war Massachuset ...more
Anne
Jul 24, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I re-read Little Women, which resonated with me at age 24 going on 25 in a way that it never did when I was younger, and then since I knew nothing would satisfy me but more Alcott, I decided to keep going, since I'd never read the sequels.

Little Men is utterly charming, and you can tell that Alcott just went to town creating the school of her dreams. I told my mom about it and she said, "It sounds like homeschooling!" Each boy has his education tailored to his interests and abilities, when they
Iniya
Apr 21, 2016 Iniya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
A very good read.. Loved reading the journey of Jo's boys and girls... Each one was unique and the way they're taught the virtues in the school is very nice.. A heartwarming read:-) IT's as good as the first book...
Moira Russell
I think the last time I read this book was about in 1989 and was surprised at how much of it I remembered. It is rag-tag and episodic, as the author herself freely admits, but genuinely involving. It gets dreadfully sentimental at many points, but so does Dickens. To a modern reader, or at any rate this one, it's interesting how much of it is an apologia for her father and his educational theories (famously his school was closed down; after Louisa's novel became best-seller, his own Record of a ...more
Rikke
I never realized there was a continuation of the stories and lives of my beloved March family. Therefore it was such a pleasant surprise to reunite with the dear characters once more.

"Little Men" follows Jo Bhaer and her husband in their quest to educate and raise young boys at their school. I was a little disappointed to find that the majority of the March family was forgotten and merely existed as a background story. But as the little women grew up, I guess it was time to focus on a new gener
Sara
Mar 01, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
August 2016 - re-listened with the kids

For the last 20 years this book has been one of the greatest influences over my life. The moral lessons, as are commonplace in Alcott's writing, are tender and sweet. The storytelling is so enjoyable. The characters are lovable and easy to invest in. Taken together, however, the effect is downright inspiring. LMA has proven that she knows and loves boys and their pranks as much as she loves girls and their many complexities. I am a better mother, a better t
Kathryn
What a delight to read this book in the summer time and the majority of this book took place in the summertime. Oh boys will be boys and that is certainly what this book is about. Jo and her husband have their own children and run a school where there are lots of boys of all ages and each chapter tells of the antics. It was an easy read with the warmth and love that only Louisa May Alcott can write.
Alli
Nov 28, 2014 Alli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I had to grab just a few books out of my burning house, this would be one of them. I learned more about how to parent and educate my son in this delightful story than I have reading any other book specifically written on those subjects. It is a treasure that I will cherish as long as I remain a parent.
Sep 26, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, tyttokirjat
3,5 tähteä

Tykkäsin, mutta en ihan yhtä paljon kuin sarjan kahdesta ensimmäisestä osasta.
Christina
May 25, 2010 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010, kindle
After finishing Little Women, I dove straight into Little Men, the second volume of the series. Little Men continues some years after Little Women left of and details the life of Jo as she and her husband runs a school for young boys.
This is a charming book, almost as charming as Little Women but not quite. It also lacks the depth of the latter and reads more like a series of short stories detailing the lives of the boys attending the school.
I really liked Dan, the young wild boy who has experie
Wendy
Oct 29, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was...boring. You can tell Alcott's heart just wasn't into writing this the way it was with Little Women. It's episodic, which doesn't bother me, except that the 'episodes' don't make you feel any closer to any of the characters. The only ones I felt close to were carry-overs from Little Women--Jo, Laurie, Fritz, etc. The kids all sort of blended together after a while, and I wasn't really invested in any of them. Spoiler in this sentence-->The death of John Brooke felt like it was throw ...more
Madi
Star Rating:

Plot:

"With two sons of her own, and twelve rescued boys filling the informal school at Plumfield, Jo March -- now Jo Bhaer -- couldn't be happier. But despite the warm and affectionate help of the whole March family, boys have a habit of getting into scrapes, and there are plenty of troubles and adventures in store."
-Goodreads description

What I Liked:

Everything! Oh it's so hard to narrow down to just a few things what I like. I could go on for hours!
The main thing is prob
Michaila Janae
Apr 09, 2016 Michaila Janae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm just going to say that this book was adorable.

Demi and Daisy, Nat and Dan, ALL the boys, and Nan, made up the book so wonderfully well and added such detailed characters it would be hard not to like almost all of them.

My favorite was Dan, however. Because he entered the book as such a ruff, loveless, wild creature, who harmed the school and was sent away. But when Jo (Mother Bhaer ;) sees him all torn and hurt lying in the straw, pleading with his eyes, you just want to rescue him yourself.
Melody
Oct 26, 2009 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this one better than Little Women but not as much as Jo's Boys. I adore Dan from the moment he slouches in, and Tommy Bangs reminds me of my own boy. There's not as much overt moralizing here as in LW, and the scenes of domestic life are somehow a little more vibrant in their cheerful chaos. It's in this book that one really sees how perfect the Professor is for Jo, and how happy she is with a houseful of harum-scarum boys to tend. It's certainly hard to be objective about a book one has ...more
Stephen
Feb 07, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was curious to see how this had been abridged to make it more palatable to modern youth. I'd read most of the original as a child but had lost interest part way though. This version at less than 100 pages is a good adaptation. (and at 5 for the dollar a good bargain!) It gives the feel of the story and could be good for young readers. Perhaps as bed-time stories. It's a bit treacley for adults but I might just dig up the original and give it a go.
Slađana
Jan 30, 2015 Slađana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dakle, pročitan i drugi dio koji opisuje odrastanje djevojaka, njihov odlazak iz roditeljskog doma i formiranje vlastitih obitelji...
Knjiga je puna predivnih rečenica, a na svakoj stranici se može pronaći nekoliko divnih poučnih citata.
Likovi su predivno opisani i imate dojam kao da ih poznajete; smijete se s njima, tugujete s njima, plačete s njima...
Velika preporuka svima!
Ocjena 5 :)
Jessica
Jun 03, 2010 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theclassics
I mostly remember almost crying through this entire book, because I was so upset that Jo was still married to the old German dude and not Laurie. It was fun to see the March sisters' childen, and the stories about the school were interesting. But there will always be that little part of me that wants Jo and her Teddy to be together . . .
Joel
Jul 10, 2014 Joel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia tierna que me hubiese gustado leer siendo menor de lo que soy ahora.
Lauren Cecile
When I was young, I imagined I was one of the March sisters.
Hailey
Mar 24, 2017 Hailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book. SO sweet. I want to be Jo March when I grow up.
Heather
I have to start off by admitting that even though Little Women is one of my all time favourite books, I didn’t know it was the first in a trilogy until a couple years ago.

Not too long ago I found the second and third books in the same edition as my copy of Little Women at a used bookstore. As soon as I saw them, I knew that I needed to get them. Now I have the complete collection in matching covers. Yes, that makes me happy.

I was a little disappointed when I first started reading. I thought i
Faith Spinks
Jan 14, 2012 Faith Spinks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Unfortunately I read Jo's Boys and Little Men in the wrong order. My frustration with Jo's Boys had been that it jumped straight in with characters we did not really yet know. However, now having discovered my error I realise that Little Men does provide the necessary introduction. Now having read Little Men I shall have to return and re-read Jo's Boys.

Little Men follows the life of Jo Bhaer and her husband, the Professor, in their school now established at Plumfield, the estate she inherited fr
Kathrin
'Little Men' is the story of Jo who leads a school with her husband. They watch over a group of mostly boys and try to engage their children in different actions to shape them into well-balanced adults.
Some of their opinions were interesting to read about while others were just horrible and I hope that no one takes this book as an example on how to raise your kids.

As much as I see the possibilities in the story I felt that the episodic telling wasn't a good fit. For a big part of the story, I
What was everyone's favorite part? 2 4 Feb 24, 2017 05:51AM
Goodreads Librari...: Book description 2 16 Apr 20, 2016 07:15AM
Classics for Begi...: Little Men 25 16 Jan 16, 2016 01:35PM
All About Books: Little Men (Leslie & Amber) 34 33 Apr 13, 2014 07:01PM
Strange Fruit 1 46 Feb 02, 2013 11:44PM
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • Mistress Pat (Pat, #2)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 – first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/ t
More about Louisa May Alcott...

Little Women (3 books)
  • Little Women (Little Women, #1)
  • Jo's Boys (Little Women, #3)

“Simple, genuine goodness is the best capital to found the business of this life upon. It lasts when fame and money fail, and is the only riches we can take out of this world with us.” 182 likes
“Love is a flower that grows in any soil, works its sweet miracles undaunted by autumn frost or winter snow, blooming fair and fragrant all the year, and blessing those who give and those who receive.” 171 likes