God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?

God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Intended to provide a basis for discussion, this captivating study evaluates the evidence of modern science in relation to the debate between the atheistic and theistic resource addresses such topics as the origin of life; the genetic code and its origin; the nature and scope of evolution; and the scope and limits of science. Gripping and thoroughly argued, it is an illumi...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Lion Publishing Plc (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about God's Undertaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Undertaker

Jeanie Morkel
Brilliant book on various philosophical and scientific apologetic ideas. The last paragraph of the book sums its central argument up so well:

"...far from science having buried God, not only do the results of science point towards his existence, but the scientific enterprise itself is validated by his existence. Inevitably, of course, not only those of us who do science, but all of us, have to choose THE PRESUPPOSITION WITH WHICH WE START. There are not many options - essentially just two. Eithe...more
G0thamite
Jul 13, 2009 G0thamite rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: apologetics
John Lennox is a mathematician by profession yet quite a clever philosopher in his own right. He tackles the great questions against theism, even from the "new atheists" and does not shy away from the strongest objections. His reasoned and balanced tone is a breath of fresh air and you will find yourself thinking, "what a profound thought" and "why didn't I think of that?"

I recommend it for everyone who thinks about the great questions, the ultimate questions of life.
John
I decided to read Richard Dawkins' “The God Delusion” and John Lennox's “God's Undertaker: Has Science Buried God?” after listening to part of their debate (found at http://www.dawkinslennoxdebate.com/) on the radio while running errands one weekend morning.

Overall, I was underwhelmed by both books, but I'll discuss each individually.

The God Delusion (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/74...)
Dawkins spends the first half of the book making his case against the existence of God. Throughout this s...more
John Quin
This book could be split in two as the first section covers that apparent confict between science and religion and the second part talks about the "Intelligent Design" issue in biology.

I have only read the first half and if the book was only that part I would give it 5 stars. I have nothing against I.D. and for many it would enhance this book greatly. Sadly for some people with a prejudice against I.D. its inclusion might make them prone to dismiss the first section of the book.

On the first sect...more
John
Lennox here offers a variety of resources for those interested in the current debates over science and religion.

1. He has read widely, and offers an impressive range of quotations from people on various sides of the question, including some of the most eminent scientists of our time. The book is worth reading and owning merely for this wealth of citations.

2. He generally argues well: carefully, clearly, modestly. Once in a while, yes, he allows himself a quip, and not always does he make his po...more
Dennis Wales
Oh how I enjoyed this book. John Lennox is such a great philosopher and scientist. He does more than his due diligence in constructing his arguments for the idea that science has not only been powerless to do away with God, it has only done more to demonstrate that God does indeed exist and was instrumental in creating the cosmos, life, and everything else that is. I'm dumbstruck when I see some of the faith-based statements of some hard line New Athiests that they seem to take as axiomatic when...more
Michael
This is a good introduction to some of the scientific issues that are facing Christians today. I like Dr. Lennox' car analogy. While talking about atheist's who claim that religion was just used to explain things that people couldn't understand, but has become no irrelevant because science has now taken its place, he uses a car sent back in time a few thousand years. The people who would see it would first think that it ran by magic, but after explaining the internal combustion engine and electr...more
Chad Boss
An extremely accessible book examining whether or not recent scientific advancements finally render God unnecessary. I found it to be a very enjoyable read. Lennox does not go into excruciating detail and that makes the book quite readable. I'm a Christian, and I found it to be a refreshing reminder that being a Christian, does not mean checking my brain at the door. Highly recommended for anyone interested in a quick discussion of God and science.
Derek Walsh
The best thing I can say about this book is that it was short. It would have been a lot shorter without all the logical fallacies, special pleading and quote mining though. What I expected to be a relatively sophisticated defense of belief in gods began quite well before turning into creationist propaganda and then finally into a declaration of Christian belief. Lennox is a professor of mathematics and therefore can be forgiven for his lack of knowledge about biology (although one wonders why he...more
David
In this book, John Lennox (updating an earlier work) attempts to address the age-old question of how one can honestly hold a serious religious belief in the age of modern science. Lennox starts out by discussing the scope and limits of science, including the limits of reductionism. This is followed by a discussion of some intriguing developments in cosmology, which may suggest that ours is a "designer universe".

Lennox then addresses that old bugaboo evolution. He first treads a number of well-w...more
Vidur Kapur
Lennox claims that science is indeed compatible with religion and, not only that, claims that God is the best explanation for the scientific evidence accumulated over the past few centuries. The laudable aim of the book is to demonstrate this without invoking 'gaps' for God to fill, but unfortunately, throughout the book, Lennox brings up gap after gap after gap which he presumably fills with God.

Firstly, Lennox attempts to demonstrate that science is not incompatible with religion by observing...more
Joseph Sverker
This is a very well argued and balanced book. It is so nice to read someone whe really tries to penetrate the opposite side's argument and take them seriously. People with a very naturalistic standpoint will of course not be convinced because they will bring out the usual type of objections. But this book must still challenge many to think twice when they are stating that science leads to an atheistic view. Lennox shows that the fine tuning argument still bears some credit.
Matthew George
Being neither a mathematician nor a scientist, certain aspects of this book skimmed over my head. Still, I found it to be a fascinating, memorable, moving, and convincing argument thus: not only are science and God compatible, they validate each other.
Evan
It's a fantastic introduction to the philosophical debate of science versus the existence of God. Either way you lean towards, this book keeps up with modern science and physics and presents these facts in an easy to understand format. I loved this book.
Evy Behling
Amazing book that provides very reasoned, calm arguments against common myths about science and religion.
Mike
This is the second time I've read this book. I enjoyed it as much this time as before, though I still find some of the scientific explanations just a bit above my head. Lennox demolishes Richard Dawkins' weak arguments over and over again with true science, and again and again makes a very good case for there being a Creator - and with true science. It probably won't impress Dawkins-believers, but since they don't actually seem to worry much about real science anyway, as Dawkins often doesn't, t...more
Chris
I am in complete agreement with Prof Lennox wherever he is showing up the hubristic claims of the 'New Atheists'. They say things that are ridiculous and irrational and Prof Lennox does a good job of demonstrating this in his first five chapters.

Science is an instrument for making sense of the reproducible, comprehensible features of the experienced universe. To say that all features of this experienced universe are reproducible and comprehensible is a statement of faith - a defensible and ratio...more
Bram
A friend of mine got me this book as he felt as someone who has never experienced any sort of religion, I might be interested in thinking about the meaning of life and such. I'm not really, but I read the book with an open mind anyway.

It appears the point of this book is twofold. First, Lennox is a participant in some great debate among various scholars about whether or not God exists. Primarily, he takes on many of the arguments presented by Richard Dawkins and that tribe. I should mention I h...more
Elegy
This book is perhaps one of the most primitive examples of an ineptitude in deductive reasoning I've read in recent memory. Essentially little more than an appeal to the argument for "goddidit" and the god of the gaps argument, Lennox fails to make a case for theism's strengths as much as he inadvertently displays the faulty reasoning and constant moving of the goalposts that all theistic claims continue to cling so desperately to. If I could have given this zero stars, I would not have, however...more
Steve Cann
Has science buried god? The word 'yes' would have quite sufficed, but instead we get this rambling book.
I have to say that Lennox puts up a good fight - to be fair, this is probably the most well-contsructed defence of creationism I've ever come across.
Lennox is on his safest ground (predictably) when he's dazzling us with mathematical figures and equations which he attempts to use to back up his refusal to believe in naturalist causation for the improbability of the universe.

At best though, he...more
Rick
This is a tremendous book. Lennox does a thorough, but not tedious job of tackling most, if not all, the major questions raised by the suggestion that modern science has made belief in God superfluous. Lennox himself is highly qualified to address these issues, himself being an Oxford mathematician, and having publicly debated Richard Dawkins at Oxford. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pete
Excellent. Well researched with citations, respectful of those who disagree with him. Oxford Prof John Lennox presents strong evidence that a theistic approach to science is more rational than an atheistic approach.

I learned quite a lot and I've been looking at these issues for years.
Often Partisan
Jun 18, 2012 Often Partisan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Theists who disagree with the New Atheists and athiests who want the opposite view
I've read a few Critiques of the New Atheists Dawkins' God, Deluded by Dawkins, I Don't Believe in Atheists, Darwin's Angel.

From what I remember this one is by far the best.

(I am personally still an atheist.)

Jeff
Lennox brings to light some of the discrepancies new atheists bring to science and offers a capable defense for the rational practice of science by theists. I highly recommend this author who has so capably debated such names as Dawkins and Hitchens.
Daniel Wright
This book divides into two parts. The first four chapters are a fairly standard debunking of various common historical and philosophical misconceptions about the relationship between science and Christianity. The following six chapters are an argument for intelligent design. It is, however, mostly just a trotting out of the usual biochemical examples (haemoglobin, rotary flagellum, yadda yadda - Michael Behe comes up a lot) without any adequate philosophical underpinning. In particular he acknow...more
Amanda Read
John Lennox is very much an independent thinker, beholden to no one. Put away your run-of-the-mill "Answers in Genesis BUSTED!" propaganda material, skeptics - because it won't gain you any ground here. A colleague of Richard Dawkins at Oxford, Lennox is an unashamed follower of Christ with a masterfully eloquent grasp of science. This book is so rich and deep in thought - especially regarding the mathematical and information dimensions of biology - that I relish the thought of reading it again!...more
Prayson Daniel
Lennox assembled scientific literature to show that Science and Christianity are not at war, but scientism and Christianity.

I found Lennox work eye opening to what scientists think on the origin of cosmos and life and how there worldviews affect there observation of data.

Chapter 9- 11 are very complicated and with less knowledge of microbiology, it is had to evaluate the strength of Lennox case.

I will recommend Chapter 1-8, and 12 for Christians apologists and atheist interested in addressing a...more
Dan Barnes
Cumbersome but very information and worthwhile.
David
This book is an impressive attempt to show that there is enough scientific evidence to support the belief that the universe has been designed by an intelligent mind. It goes further than some similar books by seeking to demonstrate not only that theism and science are compatible but also that the atheism of many contemporary evolutionary biologists notably represented by Dawkins is not warranted by the arguments they present in support of purely materialistic explanations of the origin of life.
Peter Grier
Not a book for the intellectually feint hearted.

Answering the claims of today's top philosophers, biologists and physicists, this mathematician goes in surprisingly deeply into subjects to investigate whether the reality of a creator is possible.

Much to be noted for his honest approach, admitting that no-one is unbiassed and trying to assess it neutrally. Only the reader can judge whether he does this efficiently.

There's something in there for everyone.
Science and religion 1 9 May 25, 2011 04:44AM
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus
  • There Is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind
  • Five Views on Apologetics
  • A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists
  • The Rage against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • Defense of the Faith
  • Apologetics to the Glory of God: An Introduction
John Carson Lennox is Professor of Mathematics in the University of Oxford, Fellow in Mathematics and the Philosophy of Science, and Pastoral Advisor at Green Templeton College, Oxford. He is also an Adjunct Lecturer at Wycliffe Hall, Oxford University and at the Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics and is a Senior Fellow of the Trinity Forum. In addition, he teaches for the Oxford Strategic Le...more
More about John C. Lennox...
Seven Days That Divide the World: The Beginning According to Genesis and Science God and Stephen Hawking: Whose Design Is It Anyway? Gunning for God: A Critique of the New Atheism Margaret Laurence - Al Purdy, A Friendship in Letters: Selected Correspondence Miracles: Is Belief in the Supernatural Irrational?: 2 (VeriTalks)

“Indeed, faith is a response to evidence, not a rejoicing in the absence of evidence.” 4 likes
“The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible.” 1 likes