Start by marking “Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage” as Want to Read:
Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage

Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth about Miscarriage

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  38 reviews
After his wife lost four pregnancies, Jon Cohen set out to gather the most comprehensive and accurate information on miscarriage - a topic shrouded in myth, hype, and uncertainty. The result of his mission is a uniquely revealing and inspirational book for every woman who has lost at least one pregnancy - and for her partner, family, and close friends.
Approaching the topi
Published January 11th 2005 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coming to Term, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming to Term

Kimberly
Three weeks ago today I had a D&C for my second miscarriage within 6 months. To endure one is difficult, but two in a row has been extremely emotional. Reading this book definitely helped me as I've been grieving and worrying about the likelihood of this happening a third time. Thankfully, the pathology reports from my D&C were all negative which gives me a little more hope for the future. Reading this also helped give me hope because it made me feel like we were just very unlucky twice ...more
Becca
Sep 12, 2007 Becca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to learn more about reproduction
This is not a book on how to cope with miscarriage. Instead it is a book about the scientific studies and their findings about what causes miscarriage, what doesn't, and which treatments work and which don't. I found it very interesting. Finally, some facts! I read it in just two days. I was surprised at how often miscarriages happen, and yet how low the odds are of it per pregnancy. I am now convinced that there is very little that we can do to 'cause' a miscarriage. And the statistics are very ...more
Cheryl-Lynn
A Fabulous book about miscarriage- and especially recurrent miscarriage. Lots of interesting info. Definitely gave me a different perspective with what the "average" doctor (RE) will recommend- ie a lot of it is worthless or not necessary. Especially if tests come back normal. One size fits all just doesn't work for most rpl patients. Too bad there is so little motivation for drs to study miscarriage more. Too bad I don't live in Chicago so I can go see Dr. Stephenson. There were some technical ...more
Jessica
I read this after I had my second miscarriage in less than five months. I found Cohen's book comforting; he is a science journalist who researched miscarriage after he and his wife suffered four miscarriages. Because he is a science writer and not a doctor, the book is well-researched but not overly technical. I recommend this for anyone who wants to understand more about miscarriage.

This quote stuck with me: "Because hope does not go quietly into the good night. It lies on its cot, suitcase pa
Mo
I read this book after my 4th miscarriage and found it to be very inspiring. It's not really a book about coping with a miscarriage as it is a book about the facts behind why miscarriages happen and what treatments exist to prevent them. I would recommend this book to anyone suffering a miscarriage.
Katie
**This is not a self-help book, so I'm not sure why it's categorized that way.**

I really enjoyed this book. I had a miscarriage last summer, and since I've been surprised by how many people have come to me to say they've also had one or more. I've met many people with recurrent pregnancy loss, which is particularly heartbreaking, who have pursued a variety of infertility treatments, honestly without much success. I've been very curious what we really know about miscarriage or about how truly eff
Q2
Recently I picked up the book Coming to Term: Uncovering the Truth About Miscarriage by Jon Cohen. Sometimes I haunt the Baby Center discussion boards for other moms to connect with and this book was recommended more than once. It's a good book--it's realistic, comprehensive, and very well-written. Plus, I like this Cohen Guy. ;)

Cohen is no stranger to miscarriage: "With each successive miscarriage, Shannon and I became increasingly frustrated with the mumbo jumbo we kept hearing from the specia
Jessica
This was a wonderful read and exactly what I wanted and needed. The writer shares scientific information in an easily understood way, and he includes anecdotes from a variety of experiences. The three divisions work well with the stories and studies presented: Mother Nature, Mysteries, and Hope. The book provides a good summary of available information about miscarriage, its causes, and its treatments. Cohen gently cautions against extreme and unproven measures, despite the understanding of hope ...more
Karah
After experiencing my second consecutive miscarriage, I was grasping for any kind of explanation or answer to why this could have happened to me twice. Every doctor, every website, everything I read said the same basic thing: nobody knows. There are theories out there and some slim proof, but nothing certain really exists about why miscarriages occur. Yet, I couldn't just peacefully accept that answer. I turned to this book as a means to learn more about the science and studies and theories surr ...more
Nicole Hall
Having suffered through four miscarriages, I was on the hunt for understanding miscarriage better. I had read a lot online and asked my doctor many questions. I was disappointed with how little there was out there and with my doctor's lack of knowledge on the subject. This book did not disappoint. This book focuses on understanding miscarriage better, so it does go through a lot of the research that has been done and science-y information. This is exactly what I needed. I feel that I have a much ...more
Keri Troehler
I wish I had no reason to read this book, but since I do, I'm glad that I did. Cohen's conversational way of writing feels like a discussion with an informed and good friend. Since he has experienced the topic first-hand, he is compassionate and strives to tell it like it is. The case-studies he presents and the deep exploration of the latest medical interventions and preventions helps those who need it to understand that above all else, miscarriage is not one's fault and truth be told, most wom ...more
Sara
The positive: I -- not enjoyed, enjoyed is the wrong word -- found valuable the stories of the women and families who had undergone multiple miscarriages. They were treated with more respect and kindness than many accounts I've read. The writing overall was serviceable.

The negative: The author seemed to struggle with balancing the technical discussion of the mechanics of impregnation and miscarriage with the more personal stories. The tone varied wildly between the two types of content and was n
Tanja
I remember this book as a blessing. I had read loads of books,personal accounts on miscarriages and so on. I was lost in all of the advice, treatments and medication to help me keep a baby. And then I read this , facts actual facts about miscarriage. Well researched facts. I felt like I could finally start taking action after reading this book, which was something I needed. At times it can be dry, but I still give it 5 stars for being just what I needed in a very difficult time in my life.

Unfort
Ashley
I liked this book because of the scientific research. I only gave it 4 stars because I think that there is more recent research that should be added to it and it's a bit dry however he does try to make the research as interesting as possible. It's not my favorite book for sure but I think it's a good read if you want to learn more about possible causes of miscarriage (which surprise surprise is a huge mystery in most cases) and goes on to give mothers with multiple losses hope. I would recommend ...more
Jeannie Colling
After his wife lost four pregnancies, Jon Cohen set out to gather the most comprehensive and accurate information on miscarriage a topic shrouded in myth, hype, and uncertainty. The result of his mission is a uniquely revealing and inspirational book for every woman who has lost at least one pregnancy and for her partner, family, and close friends. It gives you hope.
Joyce
Interesting and well researched book about recurrent miscarriages. Bottom line? There are lots of different treatments available, but if you get pregnant, you are either going to have a baby or a miscarriage. Even without medical interventions, it's probable you can have a baby even after several miscarriages.
Amy
This book was excellent. It was very informative an and included a lot of scientific information that was presented in an easy-to-read way.
Also, the author of the book's wife experienced several miscarriages ...so he has insight into not just the science behind miscarriages, but the emotional side as well.
Hilary
Extremely helpful book - it was very science oriented (which worked well for me, but maybe not for all), but with a good mix of personal stories including his own. I would recommend it to anybody who has suffered pregnancy loss or is trying to understand what somebody in this situation is going through.
Diana
This book was recommended to me by a Dr. Malpani from Bombay, India whose website I had visited and wrote to. Just from the first few pages I can say I wish I had read it a long time ago. I feel it will help me make the decisions I have to make for the future.
Jenne
Although a little technical with a bunch of medical jargon, it was an interesting book. It gives good info and statistics that show that there are promising outcomes. It is nice to know you are not alone in your struggles and to know that there is hope.
Emily
A scientific researcher turns his eye toward miscarriage after his wife loses four pregnancies. This provides a good overview of the current research and efficacy of treatments, but is still written sensitively and provides hope for those with losses.
Lena
An interesting read about a topic wrought with negative emotions. I liked the rational, fairly scientific approach to a topic that generates a lot of mysticism and pseudo-medicine. Well written if somewhat painful to read due to the topic itself.
Cindy Cary
For anyone who has experienced multiple miscarriages, this is a great book that explains far more than my doctors ever did, while still offering hope in the form of statistics and many stories of women who managed to have babies against all odds.
Wendy
Filled with anecdotes to break up the science and research this is really well written and researched. I highly recommend this book to the medical profession although the lay populace may get bogged down in the terminology and science.
Marty
This book was great. The author strikes the right balance of taking a scientific look at miscarriage while understanding what it's like for the couple. I'd highly recommend it, I learned a lot and feel a little more hopeful.
Julie
A comprehensive look at the various causes of miscarriage from a scientist whose wife experienced several on the journey to parenthood. An easy read with many case studies and examination of scientific research on miscarriage.
Christy
Excellent factual information and studies I'd never read before. Infinitely more information than you'd ever get out of a doctor. They're afraid to say anything and it can be really frustrating. A great resource.
Michelle
I'm glad this book exists because not enough people want to talk about miscarriage. I enjoyed the mix of science and stories from real couples, but there are some spots where I thought the flow could be better.
Bethany Anne

This is an incredible book. I appreciated reading something that looks at miscarriage from the scientific view. It helped me so much and gave me a lot of hope.
Mrs. Schonour
This book had some really great information, but many of the chapters focused on specific problems that cause miscarriage, which made it irrelevant for many readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I'll Hold You In Heaven: Healing and Hope for the Parent Who has Lost a Child through Miscarriage, Stillbirth, Abortion or Early Infant Death
  • The Chemistry of Joy: A Three-Step Program for Overcoming Depression Through Western Science and Eastern Wisdom
  • Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth
  • Great Expectations: Your All-In-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Gaming the Vote: Why Elections Aren't Fair (and What We Can Do About It)
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • The Narcissistic Family: Diagnosis and Treatment
  • Up the Duff: The Real Guide to Pregnancy
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth
  • The Bitter Road to Freedom: A New History of the Liberation of Europe
  • The Conception Chronicles: The Uncensored Truth about Sex, Love & Marriage When You're Trying to Get Pregnant
  • Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right
  • The True Secret of Writing: Connecting Life with Language
  • Writing to Change the World
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Waiting for Daisy: A Tale of Two Continents, Three Religions, Five Infertility Doctors, an Oscar, an Atomic Bomb, a Romantic Night, and One Woman's Quest to Become a Mother
  • Willie: An Autobiography
Jon Cohen is the author of Shots in the Dark and Coming to Term. He is a correspondent at the internationally renowned Science magazine and has also written for The Atlantic, The New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, The Washington Post, Discover, Smithsonian, and Slate. He lives in Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California.

[source]
More about Jon Cohen...
Almost Chimpanzee: Searching for What Makes Us Human, in Rainforests, Labs, Sanctuaries, and Zoos Shots in the Dark: The Wayward Search for an AIDS Vaccine