Start by marking “The Backpack” as Want to Read:
The Backpack

The Backpack

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  20 reviews
There's only ever been one man for Patrick. Paul was the six-year-old boy who kissed him after Patrick helped find his mom in a mall full of Christmas shoppers, the teenager who showed him kindness at Christmas when Patrick needed it most, and the lover who has shared his life after a chance meeting, three Christmases ago.

When Paul holds out the faded scrap of paper, Patri
Published December 8th 2010 by Silver Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Backpack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Backpack

Betryal
I noticed some rated this low, but I'll explain why it got such a high rating with me. I found that the setup and the execution of the story was brilliant.

It's just to me the way the story has one man asking the other to marry him and it shifting between past and present day on how it came to that point. It's sad, but pulls the heart strings. The plot of how the man that was proposed to was the same throughout the years was completely romantic and I got absorbed although I truly wish this story
Deeze
In a few short pages the author tells a tale of despair mixed with hope, compassion and love.

Patrick will break your heart and Paul will help put it back together.

If I had a wish it would be that this was just a little longer. While it works very well as a short, there was one little unexplained detail. Namely Karen. But while I was curious as to how she came to be, it took nothing away from the main story.

This will go on my Xmas reads shelf and become a traditional read every year.

Recommended f
Vio
Very unusual you need to focus and maybe re-read bits as the continuous past and present tense flashbacks can be confusing. I finally did get the gist and enjoyed every moment. A very moving and emotional outcome quite beautiful in fact I loved it.
Tara
I think this was a good story that got lost in the telling. What I mean is that it was an interesting story, I think, but is was told in a flashback/flash forward with shifting tenses and it just got very jumbled for me. I feel like at the heart was a a sweet and heartwarming story of true love which appealed to me. I also spent some time feeling like I skipped a bunch of steps. The biggest one being, where did the child come from? I'd say give it a read, just be prepared for a little something ...more
D
Oh god, I cried. Love stories like this.
Ami
This story has a structure of second person and third person POV, as well as alternate past and present time, which might be confusing. Though, you might guess in the middle soon enough (considering it's only 37 pages). While I like the idea, but the structure of the story sort of taking away the enjoyment in reading it.
Lucy
The alternating pov took a little getting used to, but it worked for me. The story is a little sad, a little sweet and a lot hopeful. Romantic, in the guise of a six year old proclaiming who he was going to marry or the man terrified of his happiness once again being taken from him, was poignant.
Diane
We Meet Again...

Paul and Patrick encounter each other, through a series of random events, over the course of several years. They are definitely destined to be together, even if one of them doubts.

A simple love story.
Sadonna
I liked this story quite a lot even though it greatly reminded me of a quite shortened version of A Note in the Margin which is one of my favorite books in the genre. Patrick and Paul are a couple who have a unspoken history that involves their various encounters that started when they were children. There is a bit of overlap and POV changes and bouncing from past to present that can be a little confusing at times, but overall I think it works for the story. Honestly would have liked to see this ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
It's sweet, but sort of difficult to follow. While I often applaud something that makes me think, the idea that the MC thought his boyfriend didn't recognize him...for years...was weird.
Bookbee
Once I figured out the writing style - it jumps from past to present and back - I thoroughly enjoyed this heartwarming and touching (yes, I cried) tale.
Aidee Ladnier
Sue Brown is the author I followed from fandom to original writing and haven't looked back yet. I liked this story despite its rather unusual format. It has the feel of several stories being combined into one. It's still one of my favorites and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work.
Katy Beth Mckee
The style of this book is very usually and continues to draw you in. Even though it is a short story you can feel the connection with the characters. It has a different feel from other Christmas stories and it you could see all the different possibilities as you read the story.
Sheila
I like how the book goes between the past and the present. The words are sparse. It evokes the fear in the past, in the present, of loss and loneliness. Every word counts in the story. Fast read that stays with you.
garnetyuna
It's not really bad but... well, too confusing when switching between past and present like that <.< And I quite didn't like the POV.

But anyway, it was a nice reading.
Clover
sweet story but the swing between I in the past and he in the present is a little unnerving.
Zuyuan
Really a story for good-night sleep. It still had some holes in it but who's care.
Em Woods
Heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time.
Tamarrion Lash
Очень слезоточивая история.
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Deryncarm1970
Deryncarm1970 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Something for Santa
  • Xavier's Xmas
  • The Best Christmas Ever
  • His Christmas Wish (Men of Charlestown, #1)
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Making His List
  • Dulce et Decorum Est
  • First Christmas
  • Inspiration
  • The Perfect Gift (Mr. Popsalos, #2)
  • Home and Heart
  • A Lion in Tails (Heartwarming)
  • Wish List
  • A Gentleman's Agreement (Evergreen)
  • Every Time A Bell Rings (Wonderful Life #1)
  • Stronger In Your Hands (The Making of a Man #3)
Sue Brown is owned by her dog and two children. When she isn't following their orders, she can be found plotting at her laptop. In fact she hides so she can plot and has got expert at ignoring the orders.

Sue discovered M/M erotica at the time she woke up to find two men kissing on her favorite television series. The series was boring; the kissing was not. She may be late to the party, but she's ma
More about Sue Brown...
Nothing Ever Happens Morning Report (Morning Report, #1) Hairy Harry's Car Seat (Lyon Road Vets, #1) The Isle of... Where? (Isle of Wight, #1) Complete Faith (Morning Report, #2)