Start by marking “Now Write! Screenwriting: Screenwriting Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers” as Want to Read:

Now Write! Screenwriting: Screenwriting Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers (Now Write!)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  6 reviews
An essential handbook featuring never-before-published writing exercises from the acclaimed screenwriters of "Raging Bull, Ali, Terminator 2, Fame, Groundhog Day, Cape Fear, " "Lost," "True Blood," "The Shield," and many other hit films and television shows.
"Now Write! Screenwriting"-the latest addition to the "Now Write!" writing guide series-brings together the acclaim
Published January 1st 2011 by Tarcher (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Now Write! Screenwriting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now Write! Screenwriting

StoryMapsDan
I am proud to be a contributor to this book and even I got a lot out of reading the various essays by so many top names in the industry! I love the way the book is organized by the elements of screenwriting and also in the ORDER of the writing process -- from concept generation to marketing your finished spec script.

Great book, and I'm not just saying that because I'm in there! :-) I'm humbled by my fellow contributors who have so many great credits and I thank them for their insight.

-Daniel Cal
Tiana
This book is the ultimate screenwriters handbook! I love how each chapter is short and has an exercise to help you lean what you just read about. Unlike other books on any writing, this book is easy and enjoyable to read. Each chapter is written by a different writer or author who have published books (or in this one, screenplays) we've actually heard of and love. I can't even begin to tell how much I've learned from this book. This book series belongs on every writers shelve!
Leoctso
I had read, or tried to read a few screenwriting books before. This is the first one that breaks the craft down to different aspects to me in various fun exercises. I am by no means a writer yet. But for the first time I can feel the satisfactions when I write.
Luann Schindler
Fantastic exercises to help novice - and even professional - screenwriters fine tune their skills.
Rachel Frank
This book is filled with tips, commentary, and exercises from experts in the field of screenwriting from writers to literary agents. The book is broken down into sections with 10 different experts giving their insights in each topic area. It's great to read through cover to cover once to get tips and inspiration. Then it will be a great resource to go back to as you are at each stage of writing to help stir your creativity and refine your various drafts.
Sherrill Watson
I counted, and have 58 yellow stickies in this library book. I'm renewing it, but I'm not sure THAT will be enough. I've read it twice. Gems on every page, most writers words were useful start to finish. I was "stuck" on a short story, and can now finish it. Can't recommend this book enough.
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
A.R. Castellano
A.R. Castellano marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Emma
Emma added it
Mar 18, 2015
Sterling Tidwell
Sterling Tidwell marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alvin Banegas
Alvin Banegas marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Melissa Cooper
Melissa Cooper marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Bernadette Porter
Bernadette Porter marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Giovanni Ciacchella
Giovanni Ciacchella is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Kateyanna
Kateyanna marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Aman Rana
Aman Rana marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Zainabnur
Zainabnur marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sherry Ellis was a writer, social worker, writing coach, and the originator of the Now Write! series of writing exercise books. She edited Now Write!, Now Write! Nonfiction, and coedited Now Write! Screenwriting with her niece, Laurie Lamson. Her author interviews were published in literary magazines and are anthologized in Illuminating Fiction. She passed away during the process of putting togeth ...more
More about Sherry Ellis...

Now Write! (5 books)
  • Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
  • Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers
  • Now Write! Mysteries: Suspense, Crime, Thriller, and Other Mystery Fiction Exercises from Today's Best  Writers and Teachers
  • Now Write! Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror: Speculative Genre Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers
Now Write!: Fiction Writing Exercises from Today's Best Writers and Teachers Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers Now Write! Mysteries: Suspense, Crime, Thriller, and Other Mystery Fiction Exercises from Today's Best  Writers and Teachers Illuminating Fiction That Baby Woke Me Up, AGAIN