Start by marking “Serial: Uncut and Extended” as Want to Read:
Serial: Uncut and Extended

Serial: Uncut and Extended (Serial Killers #1)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  55 reviews
This is the first in the terrifying trilogy of novellas including KILLERS and BIRDS OF PREY by Crouch and Kilborn.

The original version of SERIAL, still available as a free ebook, was a 7500 word horror short story done as an experiment.

Remember the twin golden rules of hitchhiking?

#1: Don’t go hitchhiking, because the driver who picks you up could be certifiably crazy.

#2:
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 14th 2011 by Brilliance Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Serial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serial

Kirsty
I loved it!!! Extremely gory fast paced and well just plain siCK at times ....what does that say about me!!!!! I hate myself for liking it but i did lol
Susie Lindeberg
Remember the twin golden rules of hitchhiking?
# 1: Don't go hitchhiking, because the driver who picks you up could be a serial killer.
# 2: Don't pick up hitchhikers, because the traveler you pick up could be a serial killer.

So what happens when a serial killer picks up another serial killer who's hitchhiking? Hopefully, one less serial killer in the world & good news for the rest of us, rather than them bonding & becoming a team, right?

I don't think I've read either of these authors unt
Robert Beveridge
Blake Crouch, Jack Kilborn, and J. A. Konrath, Serial Uncut (Amazon Digital Services, 2010)

I was a big fan of Blake Crouch's first novel, but then I stopped reading him for some reason I don't quite recall. I've never experienced Kilborn/Konrath (everyone knows they're the same person, yes?), so I figured I'd bone up on what Blake's been up to and get a taste of another mystery writer at the same time with this inexpensive little ebook that's had a few of my friends raving for months now. Not in
Jeff
Have you ever overheard a couple of teenagers desperately trying to convince each other how "shocking" and "edgy" they can be? That's this book. It reads more like an exercise in attention-seeking on the part of the authors than an actual narrative.

One thing that leads me to this impression is that there's a lot more talk about serial killing than actual serial killing. Whereas most books of this ilk rush through the plot to get to the murder scenes, this book rushes through the plot and the mu
Jeanette (jema)
This one I actually had to force myself to finish. The neverending torture-scenes told by people with no human emotions just grinded my will to live down.
meloney edstrom
Fantastically Twisted!!!

5 stars why? Because the stories leap off the pages that's why. Both writers have a style and prose that makes this akin to watching a movie (no reading required... almost) a sick and twisted movie that is. Rob Zombie take note of these guy's. oh well enough praise for these diabolicaly awesome authors and let me end with this... Terror yes! Suspense yes! Gore and guts yes! But keep in mind these guys could write about almost anything and it would probably be great. Get o
Jordan Anderson
Say what you will about “Serial (Uncut)”. You could easily find many places of over-the-top violence and gore. You could complain about its incredibly dark & sadistic plot. You could even criticize the author’s sick, twisted, & thoroughly disturbing sense of humor, but one thing you CANNOT do, is deny that this short story/novel/hybrid-or-sorts novel is incredibly well written, and is a testament to the skills of the Kilborn/Konrath and Crouch duo.

Like I said, “Serial” is gritty, gory,
Candy
I have a real love/hate relationship with horror. I love it, I love that feeling of disgust, the thought of "seriously, this author is so beyond twisted". I hate that feeling of "I want my husband home NOW". *laughing*

A true master of horror can suck you in so you cannot stop reading it, all the while waiting for some maniac with a sharp (or worse, dull) knife to come stalking into your room and cutting you up into bits. I still have nightmares from some of the best horror novels I've read. This
Shadow Girl
Since I just reviewed Serial, I'll be brief for Serial Killers Uncut. Let's first note that I just saw Serial Uncut: Extended Edition & I'm kinda pissed... Not ready to read the story for the third time already!Haha
If you're someone who advised me - Thank you! Definitely not a book yo be missed. Plus, I saved money - I think I can pinpoint the exact shorts of Bad Girl: Prequel to Serial and Truck Stop in it - and... awesomeness!
The only thing I'm irked about is this...
MY TBR LIST WILL NEVER
Bracken
Feb 11, 2011 Bracken rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the 80s horror movies.
Meh. This book suffers from the same problem I think afflicts most horror films of the 80s (and some today): the monster is the hero and victims are empty tropes (the good girl, the jock, the nerd) waiting to be dispatched in increasingly creative and more elaborate ways than the last. This book suffers from the same problem. Narratives from the point of view of the killer(s) are hard to do and make the story relevant and compelling to the reader. There's dark character study (e.g., Jim Thompson ...more
Courtney
Im going to start off by saying I love the concept of the whole 'dont hitchhike youll get picked up by a crazy' and 'dont pick up hitchhikers, you ll pick up a crazy.' love the idea that the crazies meet eachother.
So I loved that but..
I was so disturbed by this! Im not going to write a horrible, negative review bashing the authors because I did really enjoy the stories. Theyre just so messed up and spine tingling Im not sure what else to say. The authors have quite an imagination and I think it
Karen Fowler
Twisted, pulse-quickening, stomach-churning, unadulterated horror fiction at it's finest. I could struggle to come up with a handful more words rich in descriptives, but really, youbshould just read the book. Nothing I say will prepare you for what lies between the covers of Serial Uncut anyway.

I want to note that the writing is clear, concise, and leaves room for your imagination instead of filling in every bloody detail, and the book is better for it. It let's the reader ponder and makes the
Katie
This was great! So disgusting and funny and awesome! I know literally no one I could recommend this to, and that's a bummer, since it's a very entertaining little read. Also: the discussion between the authors at the end is a lovely cap!
Dawn
The stories written separately are wonderful. Separately. The problem that arises is the patchwork way it was interwoven. I really was expecting a more polished togetherness product from these two authors. Instead, the voice was very defined through each storyline. After I finished the book, I read an article that said that they each wrote their parts separately and I think it showed. It really could have used some sort of editing to make it more cohesive and give it the same voice throughout.

I
Jennie
It's ok.

I like Killers (the sequel) much better, but this is a whole lot of batshit blood and guts, which is fun. Just don't expect Hannibal Lecter. This collection is no where near that deep.
Cindy
Serial was a quick read that introduces several characters, good guys and bad, that are in Kilborn's other books. It is almost unbelievable which takes some of the scare out of it. But it still makes you wonder what if.... What if there was a crazy #1 and a crazy #2 competing with each other on who was the best serial killer? Who's technique can bring the most pain for longest time? And what happens when they want to kill each other? I have to know what happened with Lucy and Donaldson so I have ...more
Renita
Brilliant...This is a new classic for those of us who love the horror genre.
Craig Hansen
An intense and quick read, Serial Uncut is loads of fun, although quite violent. Then again, an novel about serial killers would be a bit odd if it were not violent. I mean, the subject matter pretty much demands that.

This much said, the fun of the novel is the solid character work throughout. As a fan of Blake Crouch, I'll also add that this collaboration with Jack Kilborn/J.A. Konrath was sufficient to make me curious enough to check out the rest of the Kilborne/Konrath library of titles. Even
Kat
3.5/5 for me. I liked it for what it was. I was expecting something totally different, like a cat and mouse game/chase between two serial killers. Instead it was a few different stories that all intertwined with different serial killers and at the end you find out that those who survived go on to different books in different series'. I'll definitely have to get my hand on those in the future.

Official Review @ Shivers of Horror
Jack
These two authors are sick bastards.

Heh. Good horror book. This story has several characters from various other books, mostly sick bastard serial killers, but also Jack Daniels, a tough Chicago cop with a whole series of books of her own. A couple of the sick bastard serial killers cross paths with Jack.

I liked the little interview at the end that the authors added. Interesting backstory on how this collaborative effort came together.

I liked this book, but I am a horror fan, so I get it. Pret
Tim
Jan 12, 2011 Tim rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Tim by: N/A
Shelves: garbage
For a book that was supposed to be shocking and gory, I found it rather boring. It follows different serial killers while they commit their crimes. Sometimes they work alone and other times they work together. It really feels like the author just wants to write a book to shock and disgust the reader but only succeeded in allowing me the opportunity to waste my money. The only saving grace is that the book is short.
Staci Andrews
way does not live up to the hype. and this is the uncut version? eh... anyone who is a fan of this genre shouldn't be shocked or upset by anything in it. there's gore, torture and a minimal amount of rape (which is really what disturbs me usually). maybe I'm becoming immune but esp since this is fiction- I just don't think its shocking or any of the claims its introduction makes.
Jeff French
This book tells the stories of various serial killers and how they cross paths over the years. It comes with a warning at the beginning, and deservedly so. This book is not for everyone. There are some very graphic parts involving torture and the joy that the killers get from their acts is disturbing. The ending is great and i couldn't help but give a little fist pump.
Lloyd
This WAS the sick, twisted fiction (we can only hope!) that the book warns you it is going to be. Serial killers, like vampires, get boring really quickly for me. This was my first time reading either of these authors, but it stuck in my head. I wish I would have researched a little further and gotten the whole Killers Uncut book instead. Maybe if I see it on sale.
David Blaylock
This was enough to make me want to read this book:

Remember the twin golden rules of hitchhiking?

#2: Don’t pick up hitchhikers, because the traveler you pick up could be certifiably crazy.

So what if, on some dark, isolated road, Crazy #1 offered a ride to Crazy #2?
Krista
I loved this book, as well as the original Serial. I read Afraid as soon as I finished Serial and wrote down all the books the authors mention in the interview at the end of the book. So horrific, but they keep most of the gore up for your imagination, they don't give too many details. I hope they continue with Serial.
Knockonwoods
Could have gone into more detail.
Jacqueline King
After reading over ten books by J.A. Konrath/ Jack Kilborn and a couple by Blake Crouch, I thought I had read every conceivable way a human being could be tortured and killed in brutal, screaming agony. I was wrong. Salt in the wounds I've heard of, but lemon juice? Seriously gross.
Dave Pope
Brilliant, nasty and original. If ever any book causes a reader to pause and breathe "Holy Moly" before continuing this is one of those. A rip roaring horror fest that will delight those readers who enjoy authors pushing the limits of horror. Gory, funny, and damn intense.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine or seperate but probably not leave as is 2 21 Apr 02, 2013 10:59AM
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • Wild Night Is Calling
  • Dismember
  • Teratologist
  • The Killing Kind
Blake Crouch was born near the piedmont town of Statesville, North Carolina in 1978. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 2000 with degrees in English and Creative Writing. Blake lives with his family in southwest Colorado, where he is at work on a new book
More about Blake Crouch...

Serial Killers (3 books)
  • Killers Uncut - A Novel of Terror
  • Break You (Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite #3)
Pines (Wayward Pines #1) The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3) Wayward (Wayward Pines #2) Run Abandon

“Like people would ever want to read books on an electronic screen.” 30 likes