Start by marking “The Best of the Nebulas” as Want to Read:
The Best of the Nebulas

The Best of the Nebulas (Nebula Awards)

The Nebula - the most prestigious award in the science fiction field - is presented each year by science fiction authors to their colleagues for the best work in that year.The Nebula Award has been given for twenty-five years. To honor its silver anniversary, Tor is proud to present The Best of the Nebulas. Includes complete lists of twenty-five years of Nebula winners and ...more
Published April 15th 1989 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best of the Nebulas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of the Nebulas

Stephen
5.0 stars. This amazing collection gathers together the very best short ficiton from 1965 to 1985. All of the stories are considered classics (rightfully so in most cases). I am going to be reading through the entire anthology (re-reading the storis that I have already read in addition to the ones I have never experienced) and will review each story as I finish them.

"The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth" by Roger Zelazny (4.0 stars). One of Zelazny's most famous stories, this is a beau
Richard M. Sala
El día anterior a la revolución 4.5/5.0
La persistencia de la visión 4.0/5.0
Los reyes de la arena 4.0/5.0
Jeffty tiene cinco años 3.0/5.0

Pendientes: tropecientos... ya los leeré
Will
Nov 26, 2016 Will rated it really liked it
Recommended to Will by: JK
Shelves: short-stories, sff
It took me four months to get through this but there are some really good stories in here.
John
Jun 28, 2011 John rated it really liked it
I've read all of these stories before, but not since I was 13, so it was almost like reading them for the first time. I want to start by getting some of the major disappointments out of the way. These are some writers who I used to love as a kid but found unpalatable as an adult:
Zelazny - His two stories I could only bear for a couple of pages before giving up because I found them so unengaging. I wonder if I would think the same of the Amber series or Lord of Light if I reread them today.
Delane
Marie
Jul 27, 2016 Marie rated it liked it
Some of these stories were true gems. Particularly the stories by Samuel Delaney and James Tiptree, Jr. Lots of "Wow" in both of those.

Lots of horrifying sexism and racism in other stories, and even some well-meaning tone-deafness in Editors' Forwards.

I was a little annoyed that over half of the book, ostensibly an overview of the best of the Nebulas from 1965-1985, is pre-1970. I suppose it's easier to accept earlier works as masterpieces - less controversial, perhaps.

Harlan Ellison's long, po
Corinne
May 03, 2015 Corinne rated it liked it
21 Novellas, Novelettes & Short-stories (listed in the Goodreads description) and included in the book.
There are 10 Novels that won but obviously they can't fit in the book, they are:
- Dune by Frank Herbert 1965
- The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin 1974
- The Forever War by Joe Haldeman 1975
- Gateway Frederik Phol 1977
Nik Bramblett
Sep 24, 2012 Nik Bramblett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of short stories and novellas ("novelettes," they call them)... keep in mind, of course, that the genre has evolved a LOT in the last 30-40 years, so some of this, stylistically, is a bit dated. Interestingly, a lot of the concepts that are explored (I imagine this has something to do with how they've been award-winning) are still just as apropos as ever.
Elisabeth
May 22, 2012 Elisabeth rated it really liked it
I haven't finished it; had to return it with two or three stories left to go. It is a spectacular collection, many great stories, some kind of horrific stories, great writers. Essential for any sci fi fan.
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Lance Schonberg
Lance Schonberg rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Jorge Bouza
Jorge Bouza rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Fms
Fms rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Helena Van
Helena Van rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Javier Cortajarena
Javier Cortajarena rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2013
Linda Mitchell
Linda Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2007
Lora Vencill
Lora Vencill rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Jim1993
Jim1993 rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Rob Liebscher
Rob Liebscher rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
René Beaulieu
René Beaulieu rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2010
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Jordi
Jordi rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Minifig
Minifig rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Manuel Martín-Vivaldi
Manuel Martín-Vivaldi rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Ryan Constantine
Ryan Constantine rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Nebula Awards (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Nebula Award Stories