Start by marking “Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet” as Want to Read:
Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet

Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This ebook is complete with linked Table of Content making navigation quicker and easier.

Freshly graduated and commissioned Planeteer (the space-going equivalent of a Marine) Lt. Rip Foster, already having to deal with inter-service rivalry with the Space Force (more equivalent to the Navy than to the Air Force) crewmen with whom he serves, is tasked with retrieving an ast
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Spastic Cat Press (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rip Foster in Ride the Gray Planet

Alan
Aug 06, 2014 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
One of my favorite subgenres of science fiction is space/space opera. Probably because growing up I caught just about every Gemini and Apollo launch/spacewalk/moon landing/splashdown that I could (and I have now dated myself). I pulled this from the TBR pile, a book I picked up sometime back from the now closed Know New Books in Palo Alto.

Some facts. The book is aimed at a YA audience and published in 1952, and that does make it dated in some aspects (finding life on other planets in the solar s
Jeff Miller
An enjoyable 1950 SF novel with cold war overtones. The science referenced is pretty accurate for the time, though the long range communicator with not time lag at planetary distances was not explained at all.

Even though this was certainly a cold war story with obvious references to the Communists it was interesting in that the enemy soldiers were not dehumanized and seen more as victims of their government.

The story keeps moving you along and there is not a boring moment in the whole book. Plus
Joseph
Apr 03, 2011 Joseph rated it really liked it
Classic 1950's boy's adventure space patrol fiction, with all that entails. It was awfully cavalier about the effects of radiation, and I don't think there was a single female character to be found in the entire book, but it was fast-paced, reasonably well-written, and on the whole an enjoyable diversion.
Ronnie
Oct 29, 2014 Ronnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love finding and reading old sci-fi novels. Reading the science "facts" of the time period and comparing them to the facts of today.
The science is definitely outdated, but that does not diminish the enjoyment you can get from reading this space opera.
Chris W
Nov 25, 2012 Chris W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ignoring the dated science concepts, I found the whole book quite charming. Even the science lingo used added a certain appeal and frame to the story.
Steve Smoot
science is terrible, characterization is Space opera special....
Nigel Baker
May 04, 2011 Nigel Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ignoring the way out-of-date science, it's a good pulp SciFi yarn.
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Mykele J
Mykele J rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Michael Foster
Michael Foster rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2015
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Matt Nething
Matt Nething rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Will Monin
Will Monin rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Deuard
Deuard rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Chris La Mantia
Chris La Mantia rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Peg Gunter
Peg Gunter rated it liked it
May 16, 2015
Veronica Beta
Veronica Beta marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Werner
Werner added it
May 10, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Tim Morris
Tim Morris rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Shawn Hart
Shawn Hart rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Trevor Perrin
Trevor Perrin marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014