Start by marking “Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)

Deep Black (Deep Black #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,251 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A spy plane gathering data on a new Russian weapon is blown out of the sky by a mysterious MiG. Is it an accident or the start of the next world war? One U.S. agency has what it takes to find out-the National Security Agency and its covert operations team: DEEP BLACK.

Published December 21st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 18th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Black

Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-Grafton tale short on thrills & chills - why co-author??

It's beginning to look like Stephen Coonts doesn't know where to take his career now that the Jake Grafton series has been pretty well tapped out. From his first book ("The Intruders") through "America", we've watched Grafton grow from a young naval fighter pilot to an Admiral, providing suspense and thrills certainly on a par with Clancy's Jack Ryan (except in much fewer words!), with possibly a little more spin on politics (e. g.
Monica Willyard
I felt frustrated by this book. It has an interesting plot, and I like two of the five main characters. The female lead spoiled things for me. The author seemed to use excessive profanity and rudeness to establish how tough she is is instead of showing us. Her male counterparts didn't behave this way. Of course, she's gorgeous and sexy.
I don't generally consider myself a feminist, and I don't go looking for bad examples of women in fiction. Something about this really jars me, and reduced my en
Beth
Jul 06, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook I checked out from the Library was pretty scratched up, so I missed about half of the story. But what I did hear seemed like a good story.
Daniel Bratell
I just could not throw the feeling that I was reading the script to a brainless action movie rather than a techno-thriller-novel. The book, as so easily happens, is now a bit dated on technical details but it still has enough amazing details to make it half science fiction.

A secret part of NSA has access to technology that can monitor almost everything and the book starts off with a mission to scan a hard drive from 10000 meters height. Good luck I say. Well, it's just fiction, but I would expec
Susan Jones
Feb 15, 2016 Susan Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Description from Amazon:

Working for the NSA, ex-Marine sniper Charlie Dean is dispatched to Russia, hooking up with former Delta Force trooper Lia DeFrancesca to find out what happened to the plane. The Deep Black team stumbles
William Bentrim
Deep Black by Stephen Coonts

Coonts addresses the surveillance expertise of NSA and his fictitious Desk 3 in this book. The ability of the US government to impact another nation's computers and infrastructure is hypothesized. Of course, I think this is all speculative but how would one know unless perhaps you are Edward Snowden.

The book has lots of action and cutting edge tools of destruction. Again, I don't know if any of this stuff exists but the weapons and tech used are typical of a Coonts bo
Chris Donovan
Jun 05, 2016 Chris Donovan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Almost utter rubbish. Yes I read it all the way through and yes it had some interesting use of military technology but to me it basically read as propaganda of the American military establishment populated by two-dimensional characters. Read a Tom Clancy directly after this which was a stark contrast - it made me cry when someone died, it made me think about the moral complexities of war and the law around it and most importantly did not present the CIA, DEA etc as automatically good and always ...more
Jen A.
Oct 22, 2010 Jen A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books I plucked from the at-work bookshelves, this political and military thriller/mystery was a satisfying winter read. Spy planes, Russian weapons and conspiracy, oh my!
James F.
Feb 19, 2016 James F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephan Coonts is one of my favorite authors who writes in the techno-thriller genre.

His novel, Deep Black, which appears to be the start of a new series, is one based on the premise that American technology combined with American individuality and mind-set can successfully thwart efforts by the forces of evil, even if only by the slimmest of chance.

If even half the technology that is showcased in this book is currently in play by various federal agencies, I begin to realize just how long modern
Mark Easter

PENETRATED: DEEP BLACK PLANTS A BUG INSIDE AL QAEDAThe word’s most effective anti-terrorist force has the tools to monitor every move the enemy makes. They’ve planted a listening device inside a terrorist’s skull, and activated a video spy drone disguised as a bird. But knowing is only half the battle…INFILTRATED: BREAKING INTO A GLOBAL TERRORIST NETWORKMulti-lingual, nerves-of-steel agents Charlie Dean, Lia DeFrancesca, and Tommy Karr prowl the winding streets of Istanbul to the crowded airport

Paula
Oct 12, 2014 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I think I may be over this genre, so my rating is definitely based on my feelings rather than being a reflection on the quality of the book. I guess my main complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a star - no one character that stands out as particularly likeable. apparently, I don't like that. secondly, there was no real intensity to the action - possibly a by-product of not being attached to the characters. thirdly, some random information like Dean's mental blip during the rescue ...more
Martin
Mar 21, 2014 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
NSA Spy Thriller... This was sometimes a little difficult to follow. The action was fun but so much more could have been done with the plot. I liked the book and wouldn't hesitate to read another by Stephen Coonts.
Jason Brooks
Jun 03, 2016 Jason Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good title but I won't keep going with the series.

In truth, the concept may be that of Stephen Coonts, but the writing is not and that was probably my biggest hang up.
Austin
Sep 27, 2014 Austin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically written and paced if not a tad muddled with technical specs and jargon. Overall a great read I will be picking up the next one
George
Jul 23, 2015 George rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Why co-author?? The author(s) failed to develop feelings for the hero(s) and used profane language in the extreme in order to build up the female character's creds. It verged on overly-technical, much of which added nothing to the story. That NSA would do CIA-like business means that the author did little research into their functions and made the story totally unbelievable. There is competition between the agencies...yep! The book has lots of action and cutting edge tools of destruction...but, ...more
Terry Zamzow
Cannot get into this series. Tried a couple of times.
Max Hankins
Jul 19, 2016 Max Hankins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SUCH A GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!
Rob Hearn
Entertaining reading.
Andrew
Mar 16, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
alright. bit slow at times
Toby
Aug 29, 2012 Toby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, sjpl
Exciting, fast paced adventure. Not a lot of depth, but a good mix of technology, action and humor. I enjoyed the characters and the plot, with one reservation: Coonts seems to go to descriptions of sensual aspects more than he needs to do so. That is, he loves to describe womens's bulging blouses and men's fascinations with those women.[return][return]I have a hard time finding fun, easy books that are worth reading. The classic 'summer read' type of book. This fits the bill.
Kim Mack
May 13, 2013 Kim Mack rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get into this one. The first few chapters were well over my head with spy and military technology. There were also so many acronyms and agencies, my small mind got lost. As I was struggling by chapter four, the use of the F word became my reason to stop reading. I may have kept going if it had grabbed me by then, but it had too many strikes against it by the end of chapter four.
Chad
Mar 18, 2011 Chad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was simply "Okay". I never felt dramatically pulled into the story or the characters. The whole thing just felt off to me. Maybe it was because there was a guest author on this one too, so it wasn't a true Coonts novel. I don't know. I wouldn't bother reading this one unless you're stuck somewhere with no other choice.
Jody
Jan 13, 2013 Jody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I thought this one was pretty good...I picked up the "sequel" yesterday (or at least it is part of the series. It took me a little time to get into the rhythm of the book switching from one scene to another with separate characters but I think at the end everything was tied together nicely and I loved the action!
Lindsey
Feb 25, 2013 Lindsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slow. Even with the continuing change of characters focused on it was slow. With the catchline: two ships, one target, no mercy...it didn't deliver for me compared to the other Stephen Coonts books. Some interesting characters and premise but not enough to tempt me to read another book of his for awhile...
Matt Fox
May 03, 2016 Matt Fox rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan....
Barrs Crowe
Apr 09, 2016 Barrs Crowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy didn't like the way it was written nor the accents the narrator was using. He did not finish this book.
Quintont
Dec 01, 2009 Quintont rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-12
This book is worth reading despite the fact that the plot line is very predictable especially for an espionage novel. I found this novel to be intertaining but it is not a book that is hard to put down. The characters were not that well developed and some of the scenes were hard to follow.
Mark
The introduction of an elite covert operations team as a different storyline for Coonts...inserted into the former Soviet Union to find out what happened to an ultra secret spy plane and to prevent a palace coup in Russia
Bonnie
Oct 24, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting thriller. I've read others by this author in the Jake Grafton/Tommy Carmelini series and liked them more. This one was so full of high tech that I found it a bit confusing.
Andy
Jun 09, 2010 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first read of Coonts. I really enjoyed this book at look forward to the others in the series. Great suspense. A little predictable, but still good.
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • Internecine
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...

Deep Black (9 books)
  • Biowar (Deep Black, #2)
  • Dark Zone (Deep Black, #3)
  • Payback (Deep Black, #4)
  • Jihad (Deep Black, #5)
  • Conspiracy (Deep Black, #6)
  • Arctic Gold (Deep Black, #7)
  • Sea of Terror (Deep Black, #8)
  • Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)

“What was it Pound had said in the Cantos? “I am not a demigod—I can’t make it cohere.” 0 likes