Start by marking “Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deep Black (Deep Black, #1)

Deep Black (Deep Black #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,845 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A spy plane gathering data on a new Russian weapon is blown out of the sky by a mysterious MiG. Is it an accident or the start of the next world war? One U.S. agency has what it takes to find out-the National Security Agency and its covert operations team: DEEP BLACK.

Working for the NSA, ex-Marine sniper Charlie Dean is dispatched to Russia, hooking up with former Delta Fo
Published December 21st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published May 5th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Deep Black, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Black

Jerry
Non-Grafton tale short on thrills & chills - why co-author??

It's beginning to look like Stephen Coonts doesn't know where to take his career now that the Jake Grafton series has been pretty well tapped out. From his first book ("The Intruders") through "America", we've watched Grafton grow from a young naval fighter pilot to an Admiral, providing suspense and thrills certainly on a par with Clancy's Jack Ryan (except in much fewer words!), with possibly a little more spin on politics (e. g....more
Jen A.
One of the first books I plucked from the at-work bookshelves, this political and military thriller/mystery was a satisfying winter read. Spy planes, Russian weapons and conspiracy, oh my!
Paula
Firstly, I think I may be over this genre, so my rating is definitely based on my feelings rather than being a reflection on the quality of the book. I guess my main complaint is that there doesn't seem to be a star - no one character that stands out as particularly likeable. apparently, I don't like that. secondly, there was no real intensity to the action - possibly a by-product of not being attached to the characters. thirdly, some random information like Dean's mental blip during the rescue...more
Martin
NSA Spy Thriller... This was sometimes a little difficult to follow. The action was fun but so much more could have been done with the plot. I liked the book and wouldn't hesitate to read another by Stephen Coonts.
Austin Bessey
Fantastically written and paced if not a tad muddled with technical specs and jargon. Overall a great read I will be picking up the next one
Rob Hearn
Entertaining reading.
Andrew
alright. bit slow at times
Toby
Exciting, fast paced adventure. Not a lot of depth, but a good mix of technology, action and humor. I enjoyed the characters and the plot, with one reservation: Coonts seems to go to descriptions of sensual aspects more than he needs to do so. That is, he loves to describe womens's bulging blouses and men's fascinations with those women.[return][return]I have a hard time finding fun, easy books that are worth reading. The classic 'summer read' type of book. This fits the bill.
Kim Mack
I couldn't get into this one. The first few chapters were well over my head with spy and military technology. There were also so many acronyms and agencies, my small mind got lost. As I was struggling by chapter four, the use of the F word became my reason to stop reading. I may have kept going if it had grabbed me by then, but it had too many strikes against it by the end of chapter four.
Chad
This book was simply "Okay". I never felt dramatically pulled into the story or the characters. The whole thing just felt off to me. Maybe it was because there was a guest author on this one too, so it wasn't a true Coonts novel. I don't know. I wouldn't bother reading this one unless you're stuck somewhere with no other choice.
Jody
I thought this one was pretty good...I picked up the "sequel" yesterday (or at least it is part of the series. It took me a little time to get into the rhythm of the book switching from one scene to another with separate characters but I think at the end everything was tied together nicely and I loved the action!
Lindsey
Slow. Even with the continuing change of characters focused on it was slow. With the catchline: two ships, one target, no mercy...it didn't deliver for me compared to the other Stephen Coonts books. Some interesting characters and premise but not enough to tempt me to read another book of his for awhile...
Quintont
This book is worth reading despite the fact that the plot line is very predictable especially for an espionage novel. I found this novel to be intertaining but it is not a book that is hard to put down. The characters were not that well developed and some of the scenes were hard to follow.
Mark
The introduction of an elite covert operations team as a different storyline for Coonts...inserted into the former Soviet Union to find out what happened to an ultra secret spy plane and to prevent a palace coup in Russia
Bonnie
This was an interesting thriller. I've read others by this author in the Jake Grafton/Tommy Carmelini series and liked them more. This one was so full of high tech that I found it a bit confusing.
Andy
This was my first read of Coonts. I really enjoyed this book at look forward to the others in the series. Great suspense. A little predictable, but still good.
Fredrick Danysh
Hidden deep inside the CIA is a team known as Deep Black. Two of its members are tasked to prevent an alliance between Islamic terrorists and the Chinese.
Matthew
I enjoyed this book. Some of the sexual tension between of the characters was cheesy and unnecessary. I will probably read some more Coonts.
Emile
Didn't finish, too muddled with useless information,that it looses track of the plot. So many useless abbreviations for things and groups.
Susan Kelley
The book just wasn't as exciting as I felt an espionage related book should be. I was rather disappointed.
Scott
Slow read. Too many introductions followed by deaths. Finish was fast paced and more Coonts like.
Peggy
I did not like the book. Too slow and detailed, I just could not get into it.
Katie
I'll admit, I lost interest before the end. So. Many. Acronyms!
Mick
coundn't wait to finish, just rambled on and predictable plot
James

Not near as good as his original series.
Ryan
I cannot believe I tried to read this book. It's terrible.
Roysart
A good spy book and lots of action.
Bob
no good, did not finish
Tim
Uninspiring. 4 of 10 stars
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Plan of Attack (Patrick McLanahan, #12)
  • The Cabal
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Springboard (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #9)
  • The Fighting Agents (Men At War, #4)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Devil's Keep
  • Bright Star (Scott Dixon, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent...more
More about Stephen Coonts...
Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1) Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #4) Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2) America (Jake Grafton, #9) Fortunes of War