Start by marking “Remembering the Kana” as Want to Read:
Remembering the Kana

Remembering the Kana

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This book will help you teach yourself the writing and reading of all 46 characters each of Japanese hiragana and katakana syllabary from memory. By making use of a method of "imaginative memory," introduced in this book, you will be saved from the order of repetition. Following the method, you will be able to write and read all Japanese Kana in three hours and retain them ...more
Published by Japan Publications Trading Co., Ltd. (first published May 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Remembering the Kana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering the Kana

Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist)
I was only using this book to learn Katakana, and found the mnemonics unusable. They were the old school unnecessarily complicated sort. I returned this book and used wikibooks.org instead.
Anca
The first part, learning the hiragana, was pretty useful. I managed to learn that syllabary in 4 days (without intense training, just the half hour per lesson).
The second part though was a different story. For the first 3 lessons there aren't any useful mnemonics and that's about half of the syllabary. I quit trying to learn the katakana with the Heisig method and learned the rest using other resources and setting up my own mnemonic devices.
Gavin
It does let you learn them pretty shockingly fast. If you aren't used to using your visual memory to memorise things (explained further in Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown) by yourself, Heisig's own scheme will cut that prior reading/training for you. In fact, Heisig's visuals are by rights more consistent and easier than any you can come up with in the same period of time it takes to read this text.

Highly recommended.
David
I was really surprised how good this book was. I tied learning the kana a number of times, by brute force memorization, and it never really worked out that well. I started this book on a Monday, and finished both volumes by that Friday where, on a quiz, I'm getting 90% or higher on remembering these. The images he tries to form in your mind are very helpful, and I like how stuff builds off each other (for example, FuフNu ヌWa ワSu スU ウWo ヲ are presented together because they look similar. Fu is des ...more
Melissa
I personally recommend learning both hiragana and katakana at the very start of your Japanese studies. This book makes it easier to initially remember the different kana through the use of mnemonics. Then, as you work through your other Japanese study material, your knowledge will be greatly reinforced and solidified. If you're really focused for a few hours, you can get through both hiragana and katakana in a day even (don't do it all at once though... work on it in little chunks throughout the ...more
Doug
In terms of usefulness, this book had very little for me. I found myself unable to relate to the imagery used for learning the syllabary with a majority of the hiragana. The only reason I didn't vote it as low as possible is because it did help me learn a few of the characters.

Honestly, I would look up this book on Amazon and read a few pages of the excerpts and see how much they help you. If the imagery works for you then go out and buy it. If not, You're probably better off just using your ow
oxana
Sep 25, 2014 oxana added it
Shelves: linguistic, own
As it happens, I had just taught (or, re-taught, as it was) myself hiragana and katakana before obtaining this book, so I didn't use it for studying the two. Thusly I cannot comment whether Heisig's method is effective of not

The book is pleasant to look at and gives clear instructions on how to proceed - even when it's a lot of jumping back and forth.
Janary
This is the third book I finished this year, and it has really helped me a lot with my Hiragana and Katakana. I am surprised how fast it took me to go through all of it with your help, good job Mr. Heisig, I look forward to devouring your Remembering the Kanji books.
Nicholas
Excellent. Great method of associating the Japanese kana to things that an adult can remember, rather than forcing it through brute force. However, it is (and admits to being), just a first step that can and must be improved on by the repeated application, which will eventually tend itself towards brute force to achieve the speed to both read and write in a normal capacity.

Excited to read the Kanji companion from Heisig, which made this book recommended.
Zack
really well written short stories, which help you remember how the symbol looks. The author uses the so called "primitives", simple images, which he puts in order to form the easy to remember story. That goes for the Hiragana, the Katakana and the Kanji book Heisig wrote. All of them brilliant.
Jayson Virissimo
It does exactly what it says it will. You will learn the kana as long as you follow the instructions, although you will have to keep using them to keep them in memory (or else use spaced-repetition software, or better yet, do both). Now, back to the kanji. つよくなりたい!
Chrispwill
Great book and great methods. I wouldn't trust the pronunciation guide if you don't live in the States, though, as it is designed for US English. In combination with online pronunciation guides, you can learn both the hiragana and katakana in 4 or 5 days.
Ingrid
Uno de los mejores libros que han pasado por mis manos en mi época de japonés autodidacta. Usa el método mnemotécnico de la memoria imaginativa, siguiendo un orden específico para aprender el silabario.

A mi me resultó realmente útil y ameno.
Ajnadenver
It works! If you follow the directions and really visualize each little story around each character, it'll stick. If you're learning Japanese, I'd highly recommend -
Timon Karnezos
There's a reason why this is the standard. I'd say more than 3 hours each, but no more than 7.
Rashdan
Definitely one of the easiest ways to learn the Japanese alphabet.
Benjamin
Excellent tool for learning the Kana.
obakasan
kinda works for me...
Eenagy
Eenagy is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2015
Dana
Dana added it
Jul 03, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
13ryna
13ryna added it
Jun 28, 2015
  • A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar 日本語基本文法辞典 (Japanese Grammar Dictionary Series #1)
  • The Kodansha Kanji Learners Dictionary
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • The Rape of the Masters: How Political Correctness Sabotages Art
  • Read Real Japanese Essays: Contemporary Writings by Popular Authors
  • Japanese Demystified
  • Infinite Ascent: A Short History of Mathematics (Modern Library Chronicles)
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Oxford Latin Course: Part I
  • The Japanese Have a Word for It
  • Chinese Civilization: A Sourcebook, 2nd Ed
Remembering the Kanji, Volume I: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters Remembering Simplified Hanzi, Book 1: How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Chinese Characters Remembering Traditional Hanzi: How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Chinese Characters Bk. 1 Remembering the Kanji II: A Systematic Guide to Reading Japanese Characters Remembering the Kanji 1: A Complete Course on How Not to Forget the Meaning and Writing of Japanese Characters, 6th edition