Start by marking “Ad Herennium” as Want to Read:
Ad Herennium

Ad Herennium

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into pri ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 640 pages
Published February 10th 2010 by Nabu Press (first published -50)

To ask other readers questions about Ad Herennium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ad Herennium

Christopher Tang
I came to this book after reading Moonwalking with Einstein and taking an interest in the Art of Memory. I also read this after having read about half of Frances Yates "The Art of Memory" The version I read was a free version distributed by the University of Toronto http://archive.org/details/adcherenni...

For those looking to practice the Art of Memory, I think the Yates summary is superior in the sense that Yates's book gives more versions for how the Art evolved over time and thus gives option
Justin
An interesting piece. The last paragraph will provide summary:

"Indeed I have shown how in every type of cause one ought to find ideas. I have told how it is proper to arrange these. I have disclosed the method of delivery. I have taught how we can have a good memory. I have explained the means by which to secure a finished style. If we follow these principles, our Invention will be keen and prompt, our Arrangement clear and orderly, our Delivery impressive and graceful, our Memory sure and lasti
Nefficus
I originally came to this book to seek out Cicero's discussion of the art of memory, which appears on pages 205-225 (book III, sections XVI-XXIV) of the Harvard University Press edition (note that opposing pages feature the Latin text so the treatment on memory is half as long as it appears from the page breadth). This discussion, for me, was worth the book alone, as I have been studying the lost art of using vivid images and locations ("backgrounds" to Cicero) to memorize significant amounts of ...more
George Sr.
Although (1) Cicero didn't really write it, (2) it says nothing truly original, and (3) it was written over 2,000 years ago, this is an excellent trial advocacy manual.
Jeremi Doucet
Came across this book after reading 'Moonwalking with Einstein', as many have, since it lays the foundation for modern day mnemonic techniques which are widely used in the field of memory. Problem is, this topic is only adressed for 15 pages. Seen as the rest is dedicated to the art of rhetoric, it's impressiveness lies mostly in the historical age of the text rather than the content itself which was somewhat dull in my view.
Brian
Excellent; shows just how constant the rules of communication have been over the years; what held true then holds true now.
Chiggins1066
The "Rhetoric for Herrenius" was probably not written by Cicero, although he most certainly used the text as a "handbook." Nevertheless, it is a brilliant, comprehensive study of rhetoric and oratory that contains advice and principles that are valuable to the modern writer.
Joshua
Rigorously didactic, well organized, with lots of easy to follow examples. Perhaps the best textbook-style treatise on Rhetoric in the classical period.
Cicero is helpful for use in my rhetoric class, particularly with adding the polish to the language and practicals of public speaking.
Travis
This is a smart little handbook about rhetoric, and one of the most practical somesuch books that I've read.
Christopher
There are a lot of practical ideas in this book. I can see why it's a classic.
Sandrita
Excelent, We have to give time and patiente but we can pick up the fruits!!
Brian
Concise, clear, and possibly not even Roman.
Kelly
Not written by Cicero! Arrgghhh.
Ibis3
Aug 06, 2010 Ibis3 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bilingual edition preferred.
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Aju Thomas
Aju Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Sanad Saad
Sanad Saad marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
PeterF
PeterF added it
Jul 26, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Omid Km
Omid Km marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sage
Sage marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
  • Satires, Epistles and Ars Poetica (Loeb Classical Library No. 194)
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • Theological Tractates / The Consolation of Philosophy (Loeb Classical Library)
  • Epistles 1-65 (Loeb Classical Library®)
  • Posterior Analytics/Topica
  • Julius/Augustus/Tiberius/Gaius/Caligula (Lives of the Caesars 1)
  • The Poems of Exile: Tristia and the Black Sea Letters
  • Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student
  • Lysis/Symposium/Gorgias (Loeb Classical Library 166)
  • The Poems
  • Plato I: Euthyphro. Apology. Crito. Phaedo. Phaedrus. (Loeb Classical Library, #36)
  • History of the Wars, Volume I: Books 1-2. (Persian War)
  • Homer: Odyssey II, Books 13-24 (Loeb Classical Library, #105)
  • Leucippe and Clitophon
  • Pharsalia: The Civil War
  • Menander: The Plays and Fragments
  • The Fall of Troy
January 3, 106 BCE – December 7, 43 BCE

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, lawyer, political theorist, and Roman constitutionalist. Cicero is widely considered one of Rome's greatest orators and prose stylists.
More about Marcus Tullius Cicero...
Selected Works On the Republic/On the Laws Selected Political Speeches On the Good Life On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)