Start by marking “Gossie & Gertie” as Want to Read:
Gossie & Gertie

Gossie & Gertie (Gossie and Friends)

4.13  ·  Rating Details ·  1,445 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Gossie and Gertie are best friends. They splash in the rain, play hide-and-seek, and they dive in the pond together. Everywhere Gossie goes, Gertie does too. Or does she?

With charming illustrations and gentle text, Olivier Dunrea has created two lovable, sweet characters that will appeal to the youngest listeners.
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 28th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published August 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Gossie & Gertie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gossie & Gertie

SaraLaLa
Jul 07, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, to-buy
This is a sequel to the Gossie book which I loved so much. Olivier Dunrea introduces Gertie to us in Gossie and picks up right where she left off. Both goslings are adorable and I can't get enough of these feel good books. :) Even the way that Gossie gets frustrated is so darn cute!
Tosca Wijns-Van Eeden
Superduper cute!!
Tara Strosnider
Feb 26, 2016 Tara Strosnider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gossie & Gertie" by Olivier Dunrea is a story about two playful ducklings named Gossie and Gertie. Goosie and Gertie are best friends. Everything Gossie does, Gertie usually does too. The story begins with the two ducklings happily splashing in the rain. In continuation, they play in the daisies, dive in the pond, and curiously play in the haystacks together. Gertie happily follows Gossie most of the time, but sometimes Gertie prefers not to follow Gossie and decides to play with other anim ...more
Vincent Meyers
Feb 28, 2015 Vincent Meyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Gossie & Gertie are adorable goslings who are best friends. They love to play together and follow each other around the barnyard.

This book was originally published as a small picture book. It was shelved with the board books (at my library), so usually tiny tots and their parents enjoyed these adorable stories. Now they are easy readers! They are great for early reading with wide open illustrations and simple sentences. Huzzah for a new format!

Reviewed from a library copy.

Erin
Gossie & Gertie are best friends. They go everywhere together. Gossie tells Gertie several times to follow her, but Gertie follows something else instead. Right at the point when Gossie was going to get upset at Gertie, Gertie told Gossie to follow her to dinner. That was agreeable to both of them. And so the story ends.

Good for toddler or preschool storytime.
Cat
Sep 10, 2014 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are utterly delightful. Sophia is so excited to recognize the blue and red boots of these goslings, and I love the message (that you can still be best friends and not do exactly the same things all the time). We've been really enjoying the books in this series.
Adrian
Mar 07, 2011 Adrian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3/7/2011:
The first dozen or so times I read this book to you, you had no interest in it whatsoever. Then, recently (around age 21 months), you started pulling it off the shelf and giving it to me. Presently, we are reading 4-9 times per night before bed, and occasionally during the day, if you happen to wander into your room and see it sitting out. Sometimes I bury it under your other books after you fall asleep, on the offchance that I might be spared a night of reading it. It hasn't worked yet
Bonnie
Aug 12, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Simple, cute story about best friends and a little lesson that it's ok to do things apart from each other & follow instead of lead, once in a while.
Stacy Natal
Nov 07, 2014 Stacy Natal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Loved reading these books to my own children in the preschool years and are good for primary grade emerging readers
Dee
May 21, 2014 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, toddler
Ok I cannot read this book without a northern Minnesota accent for gossie. I love it! Try reading it that way!
Christina
This book would be perfect to read to little kids who are just starting to learn how to make friends at school and in the neighborhood. It teaches children that you can have best/good friends but that doesn't mean that you have to do everything together. When Gossie wants to do certain things, he always wanted Gertie to do it with him and vice versa. Gossie and Gertie both learn that they can still be friends but be their own people and enjoy their own things. I would use this at the beginning o ...more
Diana Thomsen
Mar 02, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
A cute and simple book about friends who learn to take turns leading. Very enjoyable little piece.
Corinne
Oct 21, 2015 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, board-book
very cute characters. love the simple illustrations. I don't feel that "sneaked" is proper English.
Michel
Sep 11, 2016 Michel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly charming characters. Books in this series are perfect baby gifts or first books.
Shawn Fairweather
May 03, 2016 Shawn Fairweather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little jumbled at times even for a children's book but none the less great presentation and artwork.
Robin
Mar 21, 2016 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jns
Cute characters and nice story of friendship
Mary
Jul 26, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These little characters are really sweet.
Jane
Schlicht, einfach, süß gezeichnet.
Tracey
Dec 13, 2014 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good for tots with cute illustrations
Ken
Mfoot
Gossie and Gertie en français
Jill
Apr 27, 2010 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When followers don't always follow, leaders are apt to get upset. I liked that the leader at first learned to take a turn at following. Everyone is an expert in something and no one is an expert in everything. I loved reading a story to my kids to illustrate they do not always have to do what someone says they should. While I like obedience, I do not like absence of thought and the burying of oneself to appease another. I like that Gossie and Gertie were still friends even after an argument.
Skye Kilaen
Sep 12, 2016 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are quite a few books by Dunrea about Gossie and her friends, and if you like the art style you won't hate the others. But Gossie and Gertie is the one that's a bit more complex and even entertained me. Maybe more than it should have, since I was thinking about what some of the adults in the world could learn from this story! The dynamic between the two ducks is timeless and really funny while being simple enough to enjoy with a young child.
Christina
Nov 21, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series begins with Gossie & Gertie although they do not have to be read in any particular order. They are short, cute and fun books. They do not teach any higher values and morals; they are purely for entertainment. The reason I give them all four stars is because my son loves them so much, he carries them around with him everywhere and I like the art. Anything that encourages my semi-reluctant reader that well deserves a decent rating.
Connie
Aug 09, 2008 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and simple, both in pictures and text. Charming is the best word for the series.

Dunrea has a real gift at drawing emotions on geese. Even a very little child (and these books are just the right pace for babies and toddlers) can figure out what the geese are feeling by looking at the pictures.

And they're realistic, too. I can see an actual child bossing their friend like Gossie - and having a tantrum just like her too.
Elisabeth
Apr 26, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one. So sweet, understated, and lovely. It reminds me of one of my favorite short stories: Summer Eve At "Rockall" by Karsten Hoydal, a similarly understated story of a pair of little siblings and the bond they share. I love to imagine these little goslings as my two little boys, following each other in their rubber boots, best friends.
(Beginning Reader)

Gossie rhymes with bossy which is rather apt. I liked that Gossie and Gertie were identifiable by their different colored boots (Gossie wore red and Gertie wore blue) and a slight height difference. This was very cute, easy to read and teaches the lesson that it's okay to follow but it's also okay to do your own thing.
Jessalyn Cipriano
Gossie and Gertie is an animal fiction children's book about friendship. Gossie and Gertie are two ducks who are best friends and do everything together. They wear rain boots and follow each other everywhere. Gossie says, "follow me," and Gertie follows Gossie. The book is about two great friends who always stick together.
  • One, Two, Three!
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Emily's Balloon
  • Blue Goose
  • You Are My Cupcake
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...

Gossie and Friends (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Gossie
  • Ollie
  • Ollie the Stomper
  • BooBoo
  • Peedie
  • Hop! Plop!
  • Merry Christmas, Ollie!
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Ollie's Halloween