Start by marking “The Pirate's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Pirate's Daughter

The Pirate's Daughter

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  232 ratings  ·  28 reviews
It began with a chance meeting and led to a date at a small French restaurant in a city by the sea.She ordered expensive wine.He paid the bill.She spoke of the sea.He was haunted by her green eyes and copper-colored skin.Then, in a matter of weeks, the woman named Cricket Page would lead Wilson Lander away from the moorings of his familiar life, away from his relationship ...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Delta (first published December 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate's Daughter

Glen Engel-Cox
I picked this up a year ago while browsing, intrigued by the cover and the title. It looked interesting, but I was reminded of my towering shelf of books to be read and so did not buy it then. The professor for my creative writing workshop class was going to be out of town for a class period, and announced that he was having a guest instructor for that class, who turned out to be Robert Girardi. The to-be-read shelf be damned, I like to know whose instruction I'm getting, so I went out and found ...more
Audrey
I ran into the library in a huge hurry. Sydney was running up and down the ailses and I had to pick up Sam in 10 minutes. I literally grabbed this book off the shelf, looked at the cover, and thought "the cover looks cool, I'll take it." Nothing like "judging a book by it's cover" and it was actually a good read. Who would of thought!!
JP
I am reading "The Pirate's Daughter", which is the first novel I have been able to find by Robert Girardi, and it is good so far (which is not too far... I am afraid my reading is going to slow down a lot, so you all have to go out and find our own books to read now). Actually, it has taken me so long to write this sucker, I have FINISHED the book, and it was really good. There was a sort of cartoony aspect to it, it did not always seem entirely real, but it was quite a good book. About halfway ...more
Sarah Sammis
The Pirate's Daughter by Robert Girardi is a modern day pirate story — but not with Somali pirates, but pirates fashioning their lives on the piracy of the early days of the Caribbean. It's also about a bean counter at a crossroads in his life. In comes the mysterious Cricket Page who sweeps him off his feet.

Cricket Page offers Wilson Lander the chance to change his life. She convinces him to join her as a crewman on the Compound Interest, a high tech yacht. Of course the ship is a bounty all it
Jon Spoelstra
Wilson Lander, a wimp who is the executive assistant to his stockbroker girlfriend Andrea, meets Susan "Cricket" Page, a sexy woman working in an occult store only until she ships out to sea as a crew member on a private yacht.

Lander does what is unthinkable for him; he leaves with the mysterious Cricket to sail the open seas on a luxury yacht. He falls in with pirates, of course, and you might have to stretch your credibility a bit, but it's worth it.

After a wild journey of over two years, La
Steve
An adventure, about a man in a rut who is implausibly coerced into going to sea with a girl who turns out to be the daughter of the title. He then gets mixed up with modern day pirates and slave traders. This could have been a good yarn -- it is interesting, if at times rather nasty -- but the writing is not good and the research apparently cursory. At one point, a pirate is said to have been caught by the Argentine coast gaurd off the Maldives -- one would have thought they'd be more concerned ...more
Kristina
Unbelievable and painful read. I kept reading hoping it would get better.
Katie
This may be my all-time fave book!
Marie-Ève Vignola
If I tell the story to anyone, they'd say it looks so interesting. But I was so bored while reading it. I should have skipped to the end and I would not have missed much.
Jenna
OK, so when you read the short description, it sounds a bit silly and doesn't give you much informaiton. The book starts out in a very "normal" world and then takes you on a wild adventure. It seems unbeliveable in the beginning, but you are quickly sucked in and start believing. I really liked that it is set in current times and made me believe anyway. I didn't want the book to end. Robert Girardi is one of my favorite contemporary authors. His books always have great character development and ...more
Joe
Jun 13, 2007 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men
This book is meant to entertain, and does so successfully. There is nothing challenging about the vocabulary or language of the book. However, the message is also worth taking the time, one man can make a difference. A simple message, for a simple book, but a good one none-the-less. It is also nice that this particular man happens to be a 26 year old single loser who has never had a successful job. That means there is hope for me to change the world!
Wilson Lauder meets Cricket Page in a small French Restaurant. She leads him on an adventurous journey on a yacht across to Africa where he discovers she is a pirate and so his her father. Great adventure. Lacking real emotion.

Robert Girardi wrote one of my favorite books ever..Madeleine's Ghost. But this one is a stretch.

Not to be confused with another book of the same title that's about a real-life swashbuckler, Errol Flynn.
Jessica
Picked this book up in the vestibule of my old apartment building for free because of the title. It's a weird and wonderful story that makes you feel as if you are there, most of the time. You have to be able to withstand some leaps of reality but its we worth it.
Melissa Dustin
What is the worth of nobility and heroism in the modern world? What is the value of a life? How far would your own code of honor take you? Each time I read it, I find myself reflecting.
One of my favorite sentences ever written is in this book. It's magic.
Natalie
For a book I picked up randomly because it had the same name of another book I was wanting to read, I didn't expect much. But it was engaging and keep me entertained throughout.
Lesley
I usually don't read books like this, but what a great book. Very suspenseful and all around swash-buckling good time. A bit graphic at times, but its part of the story.
MPA
I absolutely adore this succulent tale! Not much intellectualism here, but well-developed characters with lots of swirling action! A highly-entertaining read!
Ray
Mar 20, 2008 Ray rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kassia
This was a very enjoyable book. I enjoyed the way the author combined the grittiness of living like a pirate with the realism it entails. All around a good read!
Carole Noman
Another novel that left me emotionally exhausted after I finished it. Girardi at his best.
Kim
American contemp:Present day ocean and Africa-----------Modern Pirates, empty story
What an exciting topic (modern day pirates). This book could have been better.
Jaynie
It was an interesting story but I kept getting bogged down by the writing.
Jillian Coloe
I enjoyed every minute, I did not want it to end. 2 thumbs up.
Lysne
This was fun. Not at all what I expected, but a good read.
I enjoyed this one. It was a fun adventure filled story.
Trish
Too goofy and graphic for me.

Cher
  • Some Girls
  • The Distance from the Heart of Things
  • Sarah Phillips
  • The Whiteness of Bones
  • The Haunting of Gad's Hall (Gad's Hall, #2)
  • The Professor's Daughter: A Novel
  • Painted Devils: Strange Stories
  • An English Ghost Story
  • The Dwelling
207850
Robert Girardi is the author of four previous novels and one volume of novellas, all of which have been widely translated. He has written for film and television. His nonfiction pieces and reviews have been published in The Washington Post, Washingtonian, The New Republic, The National Review and Landscape Architecture Magazine, among other publications. A graduate of the Iowa Writer’s Workshop an ...more
More about Robert Girardi...
Madeleine's Ghost Vaporetto 13 A Vaudeville of Devils Gorgeous East: A Novel The Wrong Doyle

“His brain and his heart knew this, but he couldn’t stop himself, and the razor of his conscience lent the undeniable thrill of pain to the act.” 3 likes