Start by marking “Kraj z księżyca. Podróże do serca Polski” as Want to Read:
Kraj z księżyca. Podróże do serca Polski

Kraj z księżyca. Podróże do serca Polski

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Polska z początku lat dziewięćdziesiątych ubiegłego wieku widziana oczami obcokrajowca to kraj z Księżyca. Nic nie jest takie, jakie być powinno.
Włączniki światła działały na odwrót i włączały się w pozycji, w której powinny były się wyłączać, z kurków z gorącą wodą leciała zimna i na odwrót, niektóre zamki w drzwiach zamykały się w kierunku przeciwnym do ruchu wskazówek z
Published March 22nd 2010 by Wydawnictwo Czarne (first published April 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kraj z księżyca. Podróże do serca Polski, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kraj z księżyca. Podróże do serca Polski

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I thought that this was a fascinating book centring, as it did, on the music of Chopin and, literally, the soul of Poland.
Feroz Hameed
Oct 21, 2015 Feroz Hameed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best book to grab on Poland....for travel,....for history....and more..
Kathleen Wells
Feb 11, 2014 Kathleen Wells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of my quest to read more modern non fiction (I am very good at reading history but not modern stuff). As I am a quarter Polish and this was a deal on Kindle I read this and I enjoyed it. The references to classical music were a bit over my head but it was great to read about the history and the development of Poland - a country I really dont know a whole lot about despite my blood. It also intertwines Mr Morans personal story and some of it is quite amusing. Very good. I got ...more
Steven Lawrie
Michael Moran, A Country in the Moon: Travels in Search of the Heart of Poland
384pp.

Mr Moran's study of Poland has become something of a standard work for non-Polish speakers - anyone who travels to that country will immediately encounter this publication in the Chopin airport bookshop and at other outlets in the capital.

Moran, who moved to Poland shortly after the demise of the Eastern Bloc and who eventually married and settled in that country, combines in this work a series of anecdotes conc
Jerzy
May 01, 2016 Jerzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poland
Not sure how I feel about this book. I'm glad I read it---plenty of interesting historical footnotes I hadn't known about my own homeland, and it's fascinating to read about Poland through a foreigner's eyes.
But wow, I've never felt so exoticized! Although Moran takes a sincere interest in Polish culture and history, he also romanticizes the heck out of it.

His endless purple prose, about the silhouettes of bucolic peasants working the fields as he drives by in his fancy schmancy car, is meant to
Zuberino
Mike Moran is very knowledgeable and absolutely passionate about Poland, his adopted land. His writing fairly bristles with erudition and insight into Polish culture and character. Rare among travel writers, he also has the necessary musical background to intelligently discuss Chopin and his compositions.

However, Moran just cannot avoid the temptation to dive into dense thickets of purple prose whenever he can. The book is thus jampacked with lush superlatives and soaring claims, whether justif
Zulu Adams
A great overview of Poland for the uninitiated and curious. Before reading, I was only familiar with parts of the country's history and ACITM is very successful in provided lots more surprising info and truly igniting that interest, with the text tempting the reader to investigate further with other books and films.

Poland's history is fascinating and Moran certainly makes sure the reader feels that way about it. There are parts of the book where you gasp in shock, others where you laugh at what
Anna
Jul 30, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book mainly to see how a foreigner see Poland. And I am truly amazed by what the author found! Many things, traditions and behaviours, which I consider natural, even obvious, for him were a great surprise and something typically Polish. Are we really so different?

It was an interesting and valuable le to see my own country though the eyes of an alien. I would say this book is for sure less complex and comprehensive than Davies' "God's Playground", but at the same time easier to dige
Linda
Mar 22, 2014 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because of my interest in Poland, it's history, and it's people, but I wouldn't recommend it to the casual reader. Russian rule and Communism had a terrible effect upon the country, but they are now overcoming these difficulties.
Michael
First travelogue I have read on Poland. Some of it was astounding. It's definitely written at a "high" reading level. The author was first in Poland after the fall of communism and during Poland's transition to a market-based economy. Though obviously an interesting time in Polish history, I think some of his personal anecdotes took away from the read as a whole. He probably could have trimmed out 1/8 to 1/4 of the book and made it more readable/enjoyable. What I found most invaluable, aside fro ...more
Sair
Moran does pretty well in this book. Sometimes the history and historical figures are a tad ck fusing as he races through them and becomes embroiled on connecting tangents about various parts of them but his prose is fantastic. It definitely inspired me to go see Poland.
Lisa
Feb 19, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice mix of stories of Poland just after it emerged from Communism and tales of it as it is today - from the perspective of a foreigner. Funny and heartbreaking - just like Poland.
Tuck
Jan 02, 2011 Tuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a very odd "travel or country description" book about Poland. author has a job there in early '90's, but then goes back many times after that and now lives there in the noughties. Full of beautiful descriptions of the old parts of towns all over the country, fairly understandable Polish history (a very very complicated story at best), some fairly even-handed social commentary, and a great love of and feeling for the trees and plants of the country. Will be a classic in the genre.
David
Jan 06, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, engaging portrait of a country with vast potential, with plenty of anecdotes showing the faintly absurd chaos Poland descended into following the break-up of the Soviet Union and the fall of communism. Definitely views itself as at the literary end of the travel writing spectrum, with long chapters waffling on about Chopin, but worth the effort nevertheless.
John
Really 2.5 stars -- lots of Polish history, heavy on the World War II stuff, which didn't really interest me much; the Chopin material wasn't for me either. As a travel narrative (expat memoir mostly), the book was okay, but nothing special. I didn't realize until nearly the end that the "present day" events were nearly 20 years ago.

Anna
Jun 11, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
A tale of a man from abroad coming to Poland late 1980s and early 1990s and seeing with his own eyes and stating that Poland is a country from the Moon. Different food, political system, customs - everything was different.
Jocelyn
Jul 11, 2013 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poland-2013
I highly recommend this book for travelers to Poland - especially if you can read it on a train while you cross the country yourself.
Gosia
Nov 28, 2012 Gosia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe for a non-Pole it'd be a nice book, but I am Polish. And it's not great.
Ilona
Dec 07, 2010 Ilona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this guy knows more about Poland than I do. !!!!
Ohoud
Ohoud marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Rosa
Rosa is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Iga Lubczańska
Iga Lubczańska rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Christopher Crachiola
Christopher Crachiola marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Pascal
Pascal is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2016
Midoriko
Midoriko is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
  • A Concise History of Poland
  • The Reconstruction of Nations: Poland, Ukraine, Lithuania, Belarus, 1569-1999
  • Mañana Forever? Mexico and the Mexicans
  • Przyjdzie Mordor i nas zje, czyli tajna historia Słowian
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest To Uncover The Books That Time Forgot