Start by marking “Artful Journals: Making & Embellishing Memory Books, Garden Diaries & Travel Albums” as Want to Read:

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  11 reviews
We all have thoughts, feelings, and experiences that we want to preserve forever—and a journal makes the perfect keepsake. This inspiration-packed guide, with beautiful watercolor art throughout, offers a wealth of creative ideas for creating attractive journals from scratch as well as embellishing store-bought ones. The 21 creative projects range from a seasonal journal t...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Lark/Chapelle

To ask other readers questions about Artful Journals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artful Journals

liberal sprinkles

adapted from a longer review at my blog liberal sprinkles

A lovely book with beautiful watercolors scattered about and interesting ideas for journals. Much of the book is devoted to different binding methods and book/journal forms, with detailed instructions on how to make these. There are glimpses of how the books are embellished and text information on "what's inside" and some suggestions on what to include in the journals, but not detailed enough for anyone looking for detailed creative ideas...more
Lisa
This book gives some basics to art journaling, from art supplies to what to write. It focuses mostly on watercolor artwork. Then it logs a number of different kinds of journals. This is a good book if you're looking for inspiration on types of journals you might want to create. The author includes a number of different structures for journals and how you can create them by hand.
HeavyReader
This book is full of beautiful handmade journals that are way out of my league. Sure, the author gives step by step instructions for making each one, but no way do I have the time, patients, or supplies to make anything this lovely. Well, ok, the file folder journal and the postcards journal look like projects I can modify to make easy enough for me to do. They are the easiest projects in the book after all.

In any case, I like looking at craft how-to books to get ideas for what I might be able t...more
Denise
This is not a how-to book telling you much of anything about writing a personal journal, but rather an idea book for building gorgeous journals to share with others. These could be as simple as a gardening diary or as complex as a wedding celebration. Not only are these journals full of artwork (and this book is full of tips on how to create your own art), they are hand-bound in a number of creative ways. You don't have to be an artist or have any special talent to find inspiration in this book....more
Rachel Kopel
I have read a couple of accounts of workshops that Janet had led and she does sound like a really inspirational teacher. So I finally pushed the *BUY* button at Amazon. The ideas are good and I enjoyed the illustrations. However, I also had the experience I always have with Lark books. There is almost always one detail missing in the instructions or the photos. From what I have read this is not usually the author's fault. Remembering the difficulties Shareen LaPlantz had with them.
Sumi
May 25, 2008 Sumi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafts
This book has some good ideas of varying skill levels. The journaling subjects vary, but the design for the garden journal can be adapted to travel journal and so on. In particular the File Folder Journal was something that could be done with children since it uses a file folder, envelopes and plastic bags using glue and cellophane tape. Although the project in the book used a fancy purchased file folder, kids would adore decorating a plain file folder.
Tammy
Feb 18, 2013 Tammy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I took a workshop with Janet in 2012 and absolutely adored the experience. This book focuses on making a bunch of different types of art journals. With various bindings, all appear to be good beginner projects. The book is overflowing with Janet's beautiful ink/watercolor illustrations. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in making different types of journals for different purposes.
Sue
This mostly focused on how to create handmade journal books. While it had some nice ideas about kinds of journals, the heavy emphasis on bookmaking and bookbinding didn't interest me.
Sherry Porter
a good book for ideas and instructions on how to correctly make about a dozen different journal styles
Kristine
I don't scrapbook, but this looks like fun....one day!
Shirlea
Well done but not what I was looking for.
Lew
Lew marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Bonny
Bonny marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Mary O'Bryant
Mary O'Bryant marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Shpanla
Shpanla marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Mimmy5
Mimmy5 marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Aşkım Özbek
Aşkım Özbek marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Alyssa Stobaugh
Alyssa Stobaugh marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Branka
Branka marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Lisa Hayes
Lisa Hayes marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Theresa Lummer
Theresa Lummer marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013