Start by marking “Artful Journals: Making & Embellishing Memory Books, Garden Diaries & Travel Albums” as Want to Read:

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
We all have thoughts, feelings, and experiences that we want to preserve forever—and a journal makes the perfect keepsake. This inspiration-packed guide, with beautiful watercolor art throughout, offers a wealth of creative ideas for creating attractive journals from scratch as well as embellishing store-bought ones. The 21 creative projects range from a seasonal journal t ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Lark/Chapelle

To ask other readers questions about Artful Journals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Artful Journals

liberal sprinkles

adapted from a longer review at my blog liberal sprinkles

A lovely book with beautiful watercolors scattered about and interesting ideas for journals. Much of the book is devoted to different binding methods and book/journal forms, with detailed instructions on how to make these. There are glimpses of how the books are embellished and text information on "what's inside" and some suggestions on what to include in the journals, but not detailed enough for anyone looking for detailed creative ideas
Lisa
Sep 28, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
This book gives some basics to art journaling, from art supplies to what to write. It focuses mostly on watercolor artwork. Then it logs a number of different kinds of journals. This is a good book if you're looking for inspiration on types of journals you might want to create. The author includes a number of different structures for journals and how you can create them by hand.
HeavyReader
Dec 17, 2008 HeavyReader rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to
This book is full of beautiful handmade journals that are way out of my league. Sure, the author gives step by step instructions for making each one, but no way do I have the time, patients, or supplies to make anything this lovely. Well, ok, the file folder journal and the postcards journal look like projects I can modify to make easy enough for me to do. They are the easiest projects in the book after all.

In any case, I like looking at craft how-to books to get ideas for what I might be able t
Denise
Jan 15, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
This is not a how-to book telling you much of anything about writing a personal journal, but rather an idea book for building gorgeous journals to share with others. These could be as simple as a gardening diary or as complex as a wedding celebration. Not only are these journals full of artwork (and this book is full of tips on how to create your own art), they are hand-bound in a number of creative ways. You don't have to be an artist or have any special talent to find inspiration in this book.
Rachel Kopel
Apr 18, 2009 Rachel Kopel rated it really liked it
I have read a couple of accounts of workshops that Janet had led and she does sound like a really inspirational teacher. So I finally pushed the *BUY* button at Amazon. The ideas are good and I enjoyed the illustrations. However, I also had the experience I always have with Lark books. There is almost always one detail missing in the instructions or the photos. From what I have read this is not usually the author's fault. Remembering the difficulties Shareen LaPlantz had with them.
Sumi
May 25, 2008 Sumi rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
This book has some good ideas of varying skill levels. The journaling subjects vary, but the design for the garden journal can be adapted to travel journal and so on. In particular the File Folder Journal was something that could be done with children since it uses a file folder, envelopes and plastic bags using glue and cellophane tape. Although the project in the book used a fancy purchased file folder, kids would adore decorating a plain file folder.
Tammy
Feb 18, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I took a workshop with Janet in 2012 and absolutely adored the experience. This book focuses on making a bunch of different types of art journals. With various bindings, all appear to be good beginner projects. The book is overflowing with Janet's beautiful ink/watercolor illustrations. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in making different types of journals for different purposes.
Sue
Aug 12, 2010 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This mostly focused on how to create handmade journal books. While it had some nice ideas about kinds of journals, the heavy emphasis on bookmaking and bookbinding didn't interest me.
Sherry Porter
Jan 06, 2011 Sherry Porter rated it really liked it
a good book for ideas and instructions on how to correctly make about a dozen different journal styles
Kristine
Apr 02, 2008 Kristine rated it liked it
I don't scrapbook, but this looks like fun....one day!
Shirlea
Aug 23, 2012 Shirlea rated it liked it
Well done but not what I was looking for.
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Tracy Barcus
Tracy Barcus marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Danielle Decker
Danielle Decker rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Carol Sundell
Carol Sundell rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Jana Miller
Jana Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Cindy
Cindy added it
Feb 07, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Jo
Jo added it
Jan 27, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Marsha
Marsha added it
Jun 20, 2016
Jerome Lee
Jerome Lee marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
booklearner
booklearner marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Amy Sjoquist
Amy Sjoquist marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Johanna
Johanna rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Donna Ullrich
Donna Ullrich rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015