Start by marking “The Man of Mode or Sir Fopling Flutter: A Comedy Acted at the Duke's Theater (1733)” as Want to Read:

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is a selection from Kessinger Publishing's Legacy Reprint Series. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment to protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature. Kessinger ...more
Published May 22nd 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1676)

To ask other readers questions about The Man of Mode or Sir Fopling Flutter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of Mode or Sir Fopling Flutter

Nitin Chauhan
Reread: Aug-2012

With the first re-reading of this play along with the reading of William Wycherley’s The Country Wife before this, I am in the process of discovering the rich literary quality associated with the Restoration Theatre in the Great Britain. With striking similarities between the two plays on the level of plot lines, characterisation and milieu, my understanding of this genre in British Literature has been greatly enhanced, of which I shall talk about in the current review.

Firstly, b
Elizabeth
This is another selection that I had to read for one of my classes. I think that my expectations were a little high after reading The Country Wife. I was expecting something more farcical than this. Upon further research, I discovered that it is considered a comedy of manners. The plot fit that style perfectly, but I think it was probably funnier to those people where were alive at the time.

Dorimant is completely unlikeable. Bellinda is one of those types of women who helps a betraying man out o
Surreysmum
[This note was made in 1983:]. Read for exams. Dorimant, Harriet Woodvil, and Sir Fopling Flutter. I do like Harriet -she's the most human heroine so far in these 17th-century comedies.
Angelique
I really did not expect to like this as much as I did... the first act somehow does not fit to the rest of the play and since it is the FIRST one, to read the beginning was rather difficult and exhausting. But the rest was funny and the people really came to life on the page. Loved the witty dialogues!
Maxine
This play has no plot. It's a restoration comedy about romantic intrigues, but it's impossible to keep up with who's who. Supposedly the main character, a rake named Dorimant, is based on Wilmot, Earl of Rochester. That's about the most interesting aspect of this work.
Lindsey
This was the first play we read for my Restoration lit class, and while it was entertaining in its scandalousness, it didn't do much for me otherwise.
Adam Floridia
Another typical Restoration play. Love triangles. Rogues and Fops. Wit and Artifice. An all too convenient ending. Nothing special.
Christine
Another play for Plays, Players, Playgoers: London 1600-1700.

It's good, but it's not The Country Wife.
Tara Jeanne
Dec 15, 2007 Tara Jeanne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the thespian
a silly 16th century play with a fop and all! good entertainment and expansion of one's vocabulary.
Dyani
And by currently reading, I mean currently skimming. Woo Prelims!

And now, have skimmed.
Five
i'm sure this book has merit for rennaisance scholars but it's not my thing.
Courtney
Wilson, John Harold
Six Restoration Plays

In compilation only.
Jessalyn
One of the best plays ever written.
Gloria
I didn't like it...
Emma
Emma added it
Dec 21, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jason K.
Jason K. marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Jeff Hobbs
Jeff Hobbs marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
  • The Country Wife
  • The Beaux' Stratagem
  • The Way of the World
  • All for Love
  • The Rover
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • The Knight of the Burning Pestle
  • Bartholomew Fair
  • The Prince of Homburg
  • Cato: A Tragedy and Selected Essays
  • The History Of Sir Charles Grandison Bart
Three Restoration Comedies: The Man of Mode; The Country Wife; Love for love The Innocent Mistress a Comedy, as It Was Acted by His Majesty's Servants at the Theatre in Little-Lincolns-Inn-Fields / Written by Mrs. Mary Pix. (16 She Would if She Could The Works of Sir George Etheredge The Plays of George Etherege

“Love gilds us over and makes us show fine things to one another for a time, but soon the gold wears off, and then again the native brass appears.” 1 likes
“Nature well drawn, and wit, must now give place
To gaudy nonsense and to dull grimace:
Nor is it strange that you should like so much
That kind of wit, for most of yours is such.”
0 likes