Start by marking “The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel: All the Tools You Need to Write and Sell Your First Novel” as Want to Read:

For an aspiring novelist, nothing is more intimidating than a blank page or computer screen. This step-by-step guide helps you get past that hurdle, start writing, and cross the finish line to first draft in only twenty-six weeks! This guide covers the entire novel-writing process--from polishing an idea to finding an agent and submitting to publishers.This practical guide ...more
ebook, Abridged, 34 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Adams Media Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel

Richard
Feb 17, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, 2013
The Everything Guide to Writing Your First Novel by Hallie Ephron

This book is truly lives up to its title. It is the most comprehensive overview of everything a first time novelist needs to know that I've run across. It's written by a veteran author, with several mysteries and nonfiction titles to her credit, so she knows what it takes to become a published writer.

First Novel covers the basics as you'd expect, things like where to get ideas, how to create characters, story overview, research tec
Sarah Hudson
Dec 23, 2015 Sarah Hudson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Useful and enjoyable. Some guides on writing are insufferable and pretentious. This is not like that. I didn't feel like Ephron was trying to stuff her ideas, rules, thoughts down my throat. It had excellent tips and there are several things I took from this guide and will apply to my writing and attempts to get published that I had not found in guides previously.

Sometimes it is easy to get lost in a guide and ignore actually writing. After reading a section or two of this guide I felt fueled, r
Flor De Vita
Jul 25, 2015 Flor De Vita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few weeks ago I sent one manuscript to a contest and I wish that I had read this before that. This book showed me some aspects about how to write a book that I ignored. It's an amazing guide and its content has good examples and explanations. I really recommend it.
Angela
Jul 11, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
A wonderful guide to everything needed to write great fiction. From point of view to dialogue to creating memorable, growing characters, this how to answered all my questions and made me think about points I hadn't considered in my writing before. I would say this is a must read to anyone wanting to write a novel, of any genre. It even has a chapter of grammar review!
Alexandria
Mar 17, 2016 Alexandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought about being a prose fiction author a long time ago but I became more comfortable with script-writing. The "he said, she said" thing turned me off. Since I've read this book, I'm inspired to write prose again.
Cherish
Mar 30, 2011 Cherish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a great read for getting that first novel finally started. It gives great tips on all genres of fiction writing, everything from the outline to editing. Great tool that I will refer to often.
Johanna
Oct 15, 2013 Johanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on what all you need to think about to get started on your first novel. It breaks it down into sections and gives lots of examples from other books.
Danielle Christopher
This is the best book for beginning writers! She breaks it down to make me feel that I can attain the goals!
Obaada Elhomsy
A good book that worth reading. Allot of useful writing tips in there especially for story telling and novels
Jenny
It was a really helpful book.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
ETMoore
ETMoore marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Falko Berg
Falko Berg marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Stacey DeBor
Stacey DeBor is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Dawn Buege
Dawn Buege marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Floyd Blackwood
Floyd Blackwood is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Susanna Maggiulli
Susanna Maggiulli is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2016
Ismail Oubahim
Ismail Oubahim marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kyann
Kyann added it
Jul 12, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 04, 2016
DeShawn Latta
DeShawn Latta marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Courtney
Courtney is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2016
Darlene Doyle
Darlene Doyle marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Hallie Ephron (http://hallieephron.com) is the author of suspense novels. Her last three have all been Mary Higgins Clark Award finalists.

Her newest, There Was an Old Woman is set in the Bronx. In it, a young woman and a very old woman connect across generations in spite of, or perhaps because, they are not related. Tess Gerritsen on TWAOL: “Superb suspense and unforgettable characters!” Washingt

More about Hallie Ephron...